Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kimber-camp-guard-10mm

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Kimber-camp-guard-10mm
      #300807 - 25/05/17 11:17 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0517

Being in the backcountry can be unpredictable. When scouting, setting up camp, carrying water from a creek or butchering an animal, it’s not always easy to have your rifle within reach. The threats posed by bears, mountain lions, wolves and even ill-intentioned humans, though remote, are serious business when you’re on the wrong side of the probability curve. The ability to have a powerful firearm within reach at all times can be crucial, and is just the niche that the Kimber Camp Guard was designed to fill. Here are five things you need to know.

It's the 10mm Auto cartridge on the 1911 platform.
Though the Camp Guard is built on the familiar 1911 design, it is chambered in the powerful 10mm Auto cartridge. The 10mm Auto offers superior penetration over the .45 ACP and has been used successfully on some of the largest and toughest game on the planet. Heavy loads from companies such as DoubleTap Ammo push 180-grain bullets at nearly 1300 feet per second. 9 rounds (8+1) of 10mm is serious business when things go bad.

It sports RMEF rosewood grips.
The Camp Guard is a collaboration between Kimber and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, a fact that is celebrated by the handgun’s rosewood grips that are engraved with RMEF’s logo. Besides looking good, these grips provide a firm purchase.

It features stainless steel construction with two-tone finish.
The slide, frame, barrel and other assorted parts used on the Camp Guard are built from stainless steel to keep corrosion at bay in nasty weather. The slide and barrel bushing are finished with a black KimPro II finish which provides an additional layer of protection and adds to the overall good looks of the handgun.

It has a round heel frame for compact carry.
Compact guns can be hard to shoot under duress, but a full-size handgun can get in the way when you’re working hard. Kimber went for a best-of-both-worlds feel by bobbing the frame on the Camp Guard to a give it a round heel. Not only does this make the pistol easier to carry and to conceal, it eliminates some sharp edges that can catch on clothing and gear.

Custom features come standard.
The Carry Guard comes with a bunch of slick features. The grip frame’s frontstrap is checkered at a fine 30 LPI and the mainspring housing is serrated, both offering a firm grip during recoil. This handguard also uses a ramped barrel, a beavertail grip safety, a skeletonized hammer and trigger, an extended thumb safety, full-length guide rod, snag-free sights and front cocking serrations. The top of the slide is milled flat between the sights, which is a very nice touch.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (25/05/17 11:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: Kimber-camp-guard-10mm [Re: Ripp]
      #301044 - 31/05/17 12:34 PM

what do u think ripp? i have a couple of 1911s all colts.kinda allways wanted a 10mm. but was really leaning twards an L framed smith in 44 mag. had a41mag and sorry i sold it so was looking at wheel guns again.i do see kimber has a compact 357 out in stainless looks nice but havent seen one in person. now the titanium smith in 357 i really like. i do think a 357 will do anything a ten would.any thoughts

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Kimber-camp-guard-10mm [Re: ducmarc]
      #301048 - 31/05/17 01:26 PM

The .400's sure have a following, but when I tried sized down 300gr. .45/90 bullets in my 1911 Wilson bl., I was blown away.

I have just looked and cannot find my original data (1980's early 90's), however I do remember using Blue Dot- but - cannot remember if my memory is correct at 7.7gr. as max at just under 800fps, or if 7.0gr. was max. Seems to me, 6.8gr. gave only about 600fps and was really fun on the plates a full powered 9mm could not knock over.

770 fps with 5.8 grains of Unique is a load I found on-line, stating no high pressure signs.

I did not use Unique in my pistol.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Kimber-camp-guard-10mm [Re: DarylS]
      #301049 - 31/05/17 01:33 PM

According to Taffin's tests, I was really underloading the the 300's , however, I did manage to crack the frame (90degree angle, from of the frame) with them, now believe that I had 7.7 grs. Blue Dot as the max. He went to 10.0gr. for over 800fps. YIKES!

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#301071 - 31/05/17 11:22 PM

Quote:

what do u think ripp? i have a couple of 1911s all colts.kinda allways wanted a 10mm. but was really leaning twards an L framed smith in 44 mag. had a41mag and sorry i sold it so was looking at wheel guns again.i do see kimber has a compact 357 out in stainless looks nice but havent seen one in person. now the titanium smith in 357 i really like. i do think a 357 will do anything a ten would.any thoughts

Ironically I have most of the handguns you described..the new Kimber Stainless revolver is double action only, is incredibly smooth -- really nice self-defense gun but not a hunter in my opinion..I carry a titanium S&W in 357 mag. a lot when I am bow hunting here in Montana..like it a lot, and for what it is, will get the job done should I need it too..expecially on black bear..or griz if needed..however when I bow hunt or hike with my family exclusively in Griz country I carry a titanium S&W in 44 Mag loaded with 300 gr solid cast..

I have or have had several pistols in 10mm..currently have a glock slim frame in 10mm that I have had a bunch of work done on..different barrel, trigger, sights, and had the grip stipled along with trigger guard reworked..carry it a lot now when hiking with the family..the one benefit I do like is the capacity.-15 rounds vs 6...should you have the time to get off some rounds which is questionable on a bear attack...plus another clip full is on my hip.. also have a Kimber in 10mm but have not shot it much. I train or use for concealed carry a Glock model 19 in 9mm..so the switch to a model 20 is easier for muscle memory for me..so gravitate to the Glocks..or I also really like the S&W Shield..with extended mag..have one with custom sights and trigger..shoots really well.

Will the .357 Mag do everything the 10 will?? Probably ..BUT, depending on circumstances the 10mm might offer a bit more firepower should the need arise, albeight with a slight edge in energy to the 10mm per what I read and experience...

Depending on what you are planning on using it for, and how often, would be my basis for the decision you have to make...2 and 4 legged, I would get a auto...4 legged only, think you would not go wrong with any, but IMHO, the 44 Mag is the clear winner between a .357, 41 mag, 10mm or 44 mag...if you can shoot them well... a 4" model 29 in one configuration or another is pretty hard to beat for that duty..

Sorry--long winded response..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (01/06/17 03:00 AM)

ducmarc
.400 member

#301095 - 01/06/17 09:25 AM

Thanks for the response I too have a 19c glock did not know smith made a titanium 44 mag.I did look at the Taurus one but left wishing smith made one.if I'm out in the woods I appreciate the light weight every big hog lag I carried slowing drags either hour pants or you shirt off.i used to hunt with a ridiculous 7mm 08 pistol so don't feel a ti 44 would be much worse.and I worry more about two legged ones the most.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

ducmarc
.400 member

#301096 - 01/06/17 09:27 AM

This spell check grammer sucks.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#301121 - 01/06/17 11:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the response I too have a 19c glock did not know smith made a titanium 44 mag.I did look at the Taurus one but left wishing smith made one.if I'm out in the woods I appreciate the light weight every big hog lag I carried slowing drags either hour pants or you shirt off.i used to hunt with a ridiculous 7mm 08 pistol so don't feel a ti 44 would be much worse.and I worry more about two legged ones the most.

Here is a link for the TI 44 Mag..made by Smith and Wesson..
As for Taurus, judging by what I have seen and heard, you couldn't give me one..IMHO of course..

you would like the weight of this, but its a bit "snappy" with 300gr loads...not horrible, but you know you pulled the trigger..

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-329pd

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#301134 - 02/06/17 03:25 AM

Thanks just looked on gunbroker and there not priced to bad for a smith 4" barrel one that looks real clean for 915$ I guess I see what my next purchase is

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#301144 - 02/06/17 06:36 AM

I'm on my 3rd one.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-29-sw-classics-4-blue

It think that Titanium 4" would belt (me) pretty bad with 300's.

In my 1st 4" S&W, I got the same poi using 26.0gr. 2400 and 180gr. JHC's and 22gr. 2400 and 275 SWC's. The 180's were for 2 legged and the others for vehicles, however I found the 180's were better for vehicular penetration as well as stopping quite quickly in gel.

--------------------
Daryl

ducmarc
.400 member

#301150 - 02/06/17 08:15 AM

Did u use 300 grs. in the 4" 44 how fast did run and are u on you third cuz u killed the other two? Wonder what smiths proof loads are? The ti gun is actually cheaper which is a plus

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #301158 - 02/06/17 10:27 AM

I've been playing with an S&W Model 69 in 44 mag. Really easy to carry and about as light a platform for the 44 mag as I can shoot well.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

DarylS
.700 member

#301159 - 02/06/17 10:33 AM

Yes - the timing got so bad I could only shoot them single action.

Loads were normal maximum - bit rough though on the Smiths, the Swiss Watch of wheel guns.

300gr. Truncated cone - 20.0gr. W296 - 1,120fps
275gr. SWC - currently - 17.0gr. AL7 -- 1,210fps

The 300 kicks a bit more, but the 275 is fine with the Pachmyers.

I would not want to shoot more than moderately heavy .44 SPLs in the Ti gun.

I'm afraid my right wrist is now paying the price of too many heavy loads.

If I don't take Celebrex (anti-inflamatory), I lose the use of my right hand altogether, with pain in the wrist. Due to stomach problems caused by the anti-inflamatory, I also have to take Previcid.

Going to have to visit Cpt. Curly, before I fall apart too much to enjoy the visit - LOL. Really looking forward to that .45 auto.

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #301555 - 09/06/17 12:04 AM

I've been carrying while bow hunting, a Kimber stainless 4" converted to a 45 super for many years. A 230 gr truncated solid a 1100fps. its quite accurate even with the increased recoil. Have never needed it, but it should match or exceed a 10mm in my thinking.

Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Kimber-camp-guard-10mm [Re: aromakr]
      #301557 - 09/06/17 02:52 AM

I shot 7 black bears one fall, some big buggers, when working night "prowl shift" at the Jail.

On 2 occasions, I used my .45 Colt 1911. One with with 230gr. FMJ - 860fps, side of the head at about 12 yards. The other, a big one by our standards (375 to 400 pounds maybe close to 7' squared), was a 20 yard shot, broadsize through the lungs with 260gr. Speer HP using 12gr. W630 powder. The velocity of that load was 960fps from 5" Wilson Bl. Speer's manual noted 11.0gr., and the measure dumped 12.0gr. even - close enough for me.

Both bears dropped at the shot, however the lung shot bear moaned before expiring seconds later.

My M29 Smith&Wesson was no more effective than that, however a bit longer ranges, perhaps. The .44 Mag Marlin sacked them best. I used other rifles on the other 3, on one night, with buddy Keith. We doubled one huge fat bear, using the roof mounted spot-light in the 'remand tower' to light him up. I used a 165gr. SP (2,860fps) from a little wildcat of mine (.30 on an 8x57 case) and 129 (3,250fps) from his 6.5x68. Both were perfect broadside shots, however that bear still ran 30 yards, with no lungs or heart left. He was only 60 yards from us. What was interesting, was that the handguns and handgun ctg. rifle anchored them, but not the 'smaller ctg.' rifles.

This was in the fall when they were roaming about, eating everything they could find, trying to put on fat for the winter. The jail's dumpsters were prime targets, but just happened to be on the Prowl Officer's perimeter route.

I (Firerams Inst.) was asked to shoot the 'trouble' bears due to them chasing & stalking some of the prowl officers prior to my shift bracket starting.

One other bear was shot that fall by a couple of my riot squad members, both using 12 bore with 00buck. The first 4 shots were body shots at about 20 to 25 yards and that really pissed off the bear which ran behind a dumpster, popping it's teeth and growling. The next shot was a side head shot(by the other lad) as it came out looking at the first guy, at about 10 feet - THAT killed the bear.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#301574 - 09/06/17 11:23 AM

Quote:

I've been carrying while bow hunting, a Kimber stainless 4" converted to a 45 super for many years. A 230 gr truncated solid a 1100fps. its quite accurate even with the increased recoil. Have never needed it, but it should match or exceed a 10mm in my thinking.

Bob [/quote

I have no doubt that 45 super would do just fine..and yes, I checked, the load above is within about 100 fps of the 10mm..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#301575 - 09/06/17 11:26 AM

Quote:

I shot 7 black bears one fall, some big buggers, when working night "prowl shift" at the Jail.

On 2 occasions, I used my .45 Colt 1911. One with with 230gr. FMJ - 860fps, side of the head at about 12 yards. The other, a big one by our standards (375 to 400 pounds maybe close to 7' squared), was a 20 yard shot, broadsize through the lungs with 260gr. Speer HP using 12gr. W630 powder. The velocity of that load was 960fps from 5" Wilson Bl. Speer's manual noted 11.0gr., and the measure dumped 12.0gr. even - close enough for me.

Both bears dropped at the shot, however the lung shot bear moaned before expiring seconds later.

My M29 Smith&Wesson was no more effective than that, however a bit longer ranges, perhaps. The .44 Mag Marlin sacked them best. I used other rifles on the other 3, on one night, with buddy Keith. We doubled one huge fat bear, using the roof mounted spot-light in the 'remand tower' to light him up. I used a 165gr. SP (2,860fps) from a little wildcat of mine (.30 on an 8x57 case) and 129 (3,250fps) from his 6.5x68. Both were perfect broadside shots, however that bear still ran 30 yards, with no lungs or heart left. He was only 60 yards from us. What was interesting, was that the handguns and handgun ctg. rifle anchored them, but not the 'smaller ctg.' rifles.

This was in the fall when they were roaming about, eating everything they could find, trying to put on fat for the winter. The jail's dumpsters were prime targets, but just happened to be on the Prowl Officer's perimeter route.

I (Firerams Inst.) was asked to shoot the 'trouble' bears due to them chasing & stalking some of the prowl officers prior to my shift bracket starting.

One other bear was shot that fall by a couple of my riot squad members, both using 12 bore with 00buck. The first 4 shots were body shots at about 20 to 25 yards and that really pissed off the bear which ran behind a dumpster, popping it's teeth and growling. The next shot was a side head shot(by the other lad) as it came out looking at the first guy, at about 10 feet - THAT killed the bear.

I have no doubt they 45/10mm,, etc. would have the same effect on interior griz..not sure about the big brownies?? but at the least would let me know you mean business..

Pretty sure with a well places shot the 44 mag would do just fine on them as well..

That is a lot of bears on one season...sounds like fun..

Ripp

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #301588 - 10/06/17 12:20 AM

Ripp:
The primary difference between the 10mm and 45 Super is 180gr bullet to 230gr. However I don't have 15 rounds in the mag. only 7.
Bob

Edited by aromakr (10/06/17 12:29 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#301596 - 10/06/17 03:35 AM

Not really fun, Ripp - it was necessary amnd interesting from the standpoint of bullet testing. Killing 7 of them was a waste as they were all 'town bears'. Thus, being garbage bears, they have a MUCH higher tendency of having trichinosis, thus the meat is not useful as food. I would never eat a garbage bear.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5737

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com