Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Smith&Wesson Model 10 with 6" barrel. Retro revolver

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Smith&Wesson Model 10 with 6" barrel. Retro revolver
      #269551 - 23/08/15 08:41 PM

I'm a fan of Smith's K frames. I now have eight various K frames to include four M&P/Model 10 revolvers. For awhile I've been wanting to add a long-barreled Model 10 (I also own a Model 1905 3rd Change M&P with 6" barrel) to my collection. By the fifties the 6" barreled revolver was on it's way out with law enforcement. It just wasn't very comfortable to have a long barreled revolver while sitting in a car. But S&W kept offering the 6" barrel until the mid-eighties. However I don't usually come across them. I let this one sit in the display case at my favorite LGS for a couple weeks and decided I had to get it. Went over this morning and it was still there. Which is what I figured. Most folks don't want a 38 caliber service revolver with a 6" barrel in 2015. Oh well their loss is my gain. Mine was made in 73.It's serial number is D51****.The frame is clearly stamped 10-5 under the crane. Now I need a Model 10 snubnose (2" bl) and also one with the 3" barrel.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Smith&Wesson Model 10 with 6" barrel. Retro revolver [Re: Checkman]
      #269557 - 24/08/15 01:35 AM

Nice - beings back fond memories of shooting. For 19 years, my "issue" revolver in the Corrections Branch was a 6" M10.

Previously, while in "The Force", our issue revolvers were 5" M10's whereas the Municipal Police Forces in BC had heavy barrel 4" versions. V-accurate, these M10's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Smith&Wesson Model 10 with 6" barrel. Retro revolver [Re: DarylS]
      #269572 - 24/08/15 07:10 AM

Believe it or not I also own a post-war S prefix M&P with the 5" barrel. Made in 47/48. I guess it's a transitional model since it still has the "long action" but with the improved hammer block and larger front sight. At least if I'm reading the 3rd edition of "The standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" correctly. The action is amazingly smooth. I like the longer barreled models. They tend to be easier to find and they aren't usually priced as high as the snubby versions or even the 4" barreled models. Also I just like them based on esthetic reasons.

Edited by Checkman (24/08/15 07:11 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Smith&Wesson Model 10 with 6" barrel. Retro revolver [Re: Checkman]
      #269577 - 24/08/15 10:20 AM

My bro went through training with an issued "C" S# in 1969. They did not have the strength of steels that are in the newer "D" serial numbers that I received in 1972. The "C"'s would sometimes split the throat with "PlusP" ammo, as his did with some 110gr. Nosler HP's I loaded for both of us. My revolver liked them, his didn't - LOL.

Standard ammo is just fine in the old guns.

When in training, I didn't like the small magna grips and we all put on the black plastic spacers to fill in the grip behind the T-guard. Later, I came to like the small grip, even though tiny in my mitt.

Fun Guns. Thanks for this thread and the pictures which rekindled fond memories.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Smith&Wesson Model 10 with 6" barrel. Retro revolver [Re: DarylS]
      #269580 - 24/08/15 11:07 AM

Sure thing. I like the old guns. I remember when I went through Army Basic Training thirty years ago. My M16A1 rifle was actually made by Hydramatic - a division of General Motors. probably a vietnam War era leftover. All the other guys in my platoon had M16's made by Colt and I was jealous. However when it came time for marksmanship training my 'old" GM M16 kept on ticking while several of the newer Colt made M16's kept breaking. I've never forgotten that experience. Old guns indeed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2231

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com