Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer
      #303766 - 06/08/17 11:09 PM

http://www.gunsandammo.com/military-law-...ig-sauer-m1718/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer [Re: Ripp]
      #303778 - 07/08/17 01:35 AM

I think you need, one, Ripp - Addy needs one too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer [Re: DarylS]
      #303806 - 07/08/17 11:42 AM

Actually picked up a nice H&K VP9 a while ago--have been going out to the range shooting with it..really nice handling handgun..very accurate, fits in the hand very nice, good factory night sights and the trigger is amazing for a factory handgun..way nicer than any of my Glocks I have ever purhased new...

IN visiting with the law enforcement guys I train with on a weekly basis, find it interesting in what was considered a inferior caliber for handgun, now with the new bullets, all of a sudden many are considering the 9MM adequate..?? Perhaps they figured if Phil Shoemaker can kill a griz with one should be able to kill a human..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (07/08/17 11:48 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #303808 - 07/08/17 12:11 PM

Each to his own.

I still prefer what my bro and I packed (yeah - 4 decades ago). His was a 1917 Colt loaded with 10gr. Unique and 200gr. Speer Flying ashtrays.

Mine was my M29 4" with alternating 180gr. JHC Sierras with 26.0gr. 2400 and 275gr.SWC with 21.0gr. 2400.

We shot these weekly as well, once a month got to test on 50's through 60's car bodies, left on the range from the once a month demolition derby.

Anything left there on Sunday, from the Saturday race, was fair game. We had a blast.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer [Re: DarylS]
      #303827 - 08/08/17 01:03 AM

Not sure why the military or LEOs would look further than the competitive action shooting orgs for defensive sidearms inspiration.

The 1911 in 45 ACP or even .40 is probably the most popular handgun for IPSC or IDPA going today, particularly in standard division......

And WHY you might ask???? Because they just work!!!!! If other handguns worked better, the free market would make a different choice..... the winners circles don't lie.

Edited by Postman (08/08/17 01:09 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer [Re: Postman]
      #303837 - 08/08/17 11:01 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for posting this link Ripp.

I did an interstate dealer transfer, on a Sig Sauer 320 for a customer a few months back.
I was very impressed with the feel and look of this pistol...... not to mention it's price!
I think Sig and the US military, are on a real winner here.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

#303856 - 08/08/17 10:00 PM

Quote:

Not sure why the military or LEOs would look further than the competitive action shooting orgs for defensive sidearms inspiration.

The 1911 in 45 ACP or even .40 is probably the most popular handgun for IPSC or IDPA going today, particularly in standard division......

And WHY you might ask???? Because they just work!!!!! If other handguns worked better, the free market would make a different choice..... the winners circles don't lie.

this

From what I read, hear and see from those I know, there are several reasons for this..based on what I read, the FBI is going/or went back to the 9mm as bullets have continued to improve. Also the smaller individuals can get back on target more quickly on follow up shots than off of the 40 or 45..size of the firearm and recoil make a difference..also typically in similar clips, the 9mm holds more rounds than the 40 or 45..

I have actually stated the same points you mention above and those are the answers I get from the law enforcement community..shooting targets is much different than going after bad guys, similar to Daryl's comments on the "perfect long range rifle" its different shooting targets than shooting animals --which is what most of those in the LEC are actually shooting when needed..:)

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Test-firing-US Armys-new-MHS-pistol-Sig Sauer [Re: Homer]
      #303857 - 08/08/17 10:05 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for posting this link Ripp.

I did an interstate dealer transfer, on a Sig Sauer 320 for a customer a few months back.
I was very impressed with the feel and look of this pistol...... not to mention it's price!
I think Sig and the US military, are on a real winner here.

Doh!
Homer

I shot one at a shoot recently..was very impressed as well..handled well, reliable and accurate..

I don't like the higher axis point compared to others..but in follow up shots it was easier than one would think..think those in charge made the right choice..

Ripp

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #303860 - 08/08/17 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

this

From what I read, hear and see from those I know, there are several reasons for this..based on what I read, the FBI is going/or went back to the 9mm as bullets have continued to improve. Also the smaller individuals can get back on target more quickly on follow up shots than off of the 40 or 45..size of the firearm and recoil make a difference..also typically in similar clips, the 9mm holds more rounds than the 40 or 45..

I have actually stated the same points you mention above and those are the answers I get from the law enforcement community..shooting targets is much different than going after bad guys, similar to Daryl's comments on the "perfect long range rifle" its different shooting targets than shooting animals --which is what most of those in the LEC are actually shooting when needed..:)

Ripp

Yup. I get the rifle vs rifle compare..... target rifles need to cut the bull a long ways out... game rifles need to put the game down NOW. The same might apply to pistols, no? IPSC etc awards higher points for a power factor over "x", the theory being that the animals need to be put down NOW so they can't sustain the threat. Big bullets do it better and it's a balance between enough power and maintaining control. The IPSC crews are not all big strapping 6 footers but manage to shoot major power factor just fine. Maybe the new age wee girly men LEOs we see today just can't handle a handgun that makes major power factor? But just maybe they have better small caliber bullets that punch big holes with the trade off that they are more controllable?

It's all academic to me, living in Canada where only the criminals can and do carry. Short of total anarchy, average citizens can't and won't be carrying here.

Ripp
.577 member

#303870 - 09/08/17 06:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this

Ripp

Yup. I get the rifle vs rifle compare..... target rifles need to cut the bull a long ways out... game rifles need to put the game down NOW. The same might apply to pistols, no? IPSC etc awards higher points for a power factor over "x", the theory being that the animals need to be put down NOW so they can't sustain the threat. Big bullets do it better and it's a balance between enough power and maintaining control. The IPSC crews are not all big strapping 6 footers but manage to shoot major power factor just fine. Maybe the new age wee girly men LEOs we see today just can't handle a handgun that makes major power factor? But just maybe they have better small caliber bullets that punch big holes with the trade off that they are more controllable?

It's all academic to me, living in Canada where only the criminals can and do carry. Short of total anarchy, average citizens can't and won't be carrying here.

Thats a sad story actually...

Pretty sure i will be taking the dirt nap before/if that happens here..the gun culture here is as strong as ever if not more so it seems..the liberal dems have had a lot to do with the frantic pace of sales for the past 8 years..BUT, from what I see and where I live, certain models of handguns are off the shelve within a week of coming in..

as to coming back on target quickly with larger bores..you also have to remember those guys shoot thousand and thousands of rounds --especially the pros..can you learn to control a 40 or 45 ? absolutely..but unless they are on special teams of some sort, that isnt going to happen..

I have a very good friend who works for Fish and Game ..checking primarily into poaching, etc..said the standard issue to them is also a 9mm..I asked if he can switch, he stated he can but prefers the 9 for the reasons I have already mentioned..

My own experience, for concealed everyday carry.. I carry a S&W Shield..in 9mm..prefer the few extra rounds..if I go into the woods I grab with a tricked out Glock 20 in 10mm or my titanium smith in 44 mag..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2161

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com