Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel
      #236863 - 18/10/13 05:52 PM

Paid $470 for this one. Got it from a co-worker. It belonged to his grandfather who purchased it new in 74 and then carried in in his RV. A sock drawer gun if you like. My co-worker isn't big on revolvers and his grandfather (who is still alive) suggested that he sale it. He knows I'm a big revolver fan and knew that at least with me it would go to somebody who would appreciate it. And he's right. Very excited. Model 19's are getting harder to find and personally I've had trouble finding the 6" Model 19.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel [Re: Checkman]
      #236886 - 19/10/13 08:13 AM

My dad had one of these back in the 80s, I always liked it.

When I went looking for one a couple years ago I could not find one and ended up with a 5 inch model on the N frame with a 8 shot cylinder from the custom shop. It's pretty cool but it does not hve the nostalgia of the older model 19.

Congradulations.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Don
.275 member

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: California
Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel [Re: Rell]
      #236894 - 19/10/13 12:02 PM

Many years ago in 1980 while I was in college I bought a Model 19 Combat Magnum used in excellent condition. It had been used by a police officer for target shooting. It had a six inch barrel, target hammer, target trigger, and smooth rosewood grips. Really great pistol! About 20 years ago I packed it in cosmoline paper and stuffed in the back of a gun safe back in my brother's home in West Virginia.

You have an outstanding gun. The Model 19 Combat Magnum was developed at the request of Bill Jordan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Jordan_(Marine) for a more user friendly pistol. Prior to this Smith & Wesson build there 357s on the large N frame. At Bill's suggestion they used the medium K frame which was used on the 38 Special Combat Masterpiece. To bring the strength up to the 357 Mag requirements (35K lbs/in) S&W used heat treatment and I think they went to a different alloy. The result was a gun that felt great in your hand and didn't wear you out at the end of a shift. For practice, the idea was to use 38 Special loads and only use the full house 357 Mag loads for very serious business. In other words, the M-19 is not intended for a steady diet of 357 Mag loads. I used only 158 grain 38 Special and wadcutter 38 Special in mine when I went to the range. However, I had a box of 357 Magnum 125 grain Jacketed hollow point around my room for serious business.

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: New to me. S&W M19-3 w/6" barrel [Re: Don]
      #236898 - 19/10/13 03:26 PM

I'm in the middle of my work week right now, but in a couple days I'll be off. Looking forward to taking it to the range at that time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1812

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com