Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Two of the Best....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Two of the Best....
      #96440 - 10/02/08 12:31 PM

My wife and all my gals escaped to the Big City for some relief from Cabin Fever, and Sonny is down with a stomach bug. So it was a one-man show manhauling the sledge and some gunsmithing tools up to the range today. A light drizzle reminded me of the coming spring, in spite of 3 feet of snow and covered range markers...

I thinned the front sight of the SIG and since then rezeroed it with 140 grain FPFMJ Sellier & Bellot. What a great pistol that is. Makes a guy feel comfy-cozy when it's getting dark and the wolves start howling.

Ditto the Makarov. I dehorned it with files, wet-dry sandpaper and elbow grease some time ago and then had Mel Doyle of Plummer, Idaho, reblue it. I also lowered the sights during the slicking-up so's they don't get snagged in my pants when jerked out while carted around Mexican-style. Those little things drive tacks. Better than the Walther they were patterned after. If a fellow knew how to shoot, he could make them sing.

Made for a bulky load to haul, with the ammo, anvils and such but what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon?

The portable Gunsmith Shop:

The innards:

Work in progress:

Checking targets:

The SIG after leaning on the file and swinging the hammer:

The Mak makes for a nice carry iron, in town or on the trapline:

A reminder to get packed up before dark:

The trek home:

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Two of the Best.... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #96443 - 10/02/08 12:49 PM

jeez, how far do have to trek on them skis and dragging everything you need? Since I'm a flatlander, looking out the window at those clouds, I'd just stay indoors and have a hot toddy instead.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #96444 - 10/02/08 12:52 PM

Quote:

A light drizzle (with) 3 feet of snow

People actually live there?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Two of the Best.... [Re: Marrakai]
      #96445 - 10/02/08 01:08 PM

Looks like a fun day, 9.3.
; It's warming up here, only -20 today. Much better than -50 . just ask 9.3.
It gets as cold where he is, as it does here, pretty much, anyway. I'm about 600 miles straight North of him, I think. It's supposed to warm up to the freezing point by Monday - that will only make it slippery and wet - nasty warm weather - probably rain too- or snow.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Two of the Best.... [Re: DarylS]
      #96448 - 10/02/08 01:58 PM

Daryl, fun yes!! We do get that cold but we are a bit warmer than you now. Had a chinook blow in yesterday. Glad actually, as we need to take off some of this white stuff before we get too far into the spring and get ice jams in the St Joe, and too fast a runoff is bad for the cutts, also. Gotta keep thinking about the next season. My beloved brookies can stand the mud but the cutts can't.

And when it is 110 degrees F in the shade here in August, I am dreaming about snow and ice, so I sure don't mind winter!

475, the haul to my range is 2/3 mile. Not far, though it sure makes a guy ask if he really wants to go shooting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #96463 - 10/02/08 04:29 PM

9ThreeXFifty7

I admire your adventuresome spirit.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Two of the Best.... [Re: NE450No2]
      #96469 - 10/02/08 05:42 PM

Looks a lot wike Wyoming ........but warmer.

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Two of the Best.... [Re: szihn]
      #96475 - 10/02/08 07:36 PM

9.3 that is beautiful country. Must have been a warm day, no gloves on with the guns Here it feels toasty when above freezing. Sort of looks like northern Inner Mongolia, but with vegetaion on the trees.
Is that a Sig P226? What exactly have you done to it?
Cheers, Chris

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Two of the Best.... [Re: Rockdoc]
      #96478 - 11/02/08 01:03 AM

Yes, SIG 226 in .357 SIG caliber. I didn't do much on it. It is a police trade-in which when I got it had been shot very little, but it came with bulky aftermarket grips so those got switched with recent-production factory grips {about the thinnest going, a good thing for my hands and the thick 226 grip}. I also replaced the modern plastic mainspring housing with an older steel one, and replaced the long stock trigger with a SIG factory "Short" trigger. More or less I did all this with a 226 in 9x19 I have so they are identical. Both also have Tritium Night Sights which have enough metal around the insert to allow filing for zero of the front. I also thinned the front so I can see a lot of light on either side of the sight. Then reblued the sights.

I've called SIG in the past and they have given me the history of my pistols; dates made, sales dates, records of returns and rebuilds if applicable.

The Makarov comes with very high sights. And every edge is sharp as a razor. I filed and sanded off all sharp edges and then lowered the sights, then zeroed it with files using WOLF FMJ and S&B factory FMJ. Then had it reblued. I replaced the military stocks {lanyard loop cuts into my hand shooting left handed} with some cheesy cheap aftermarket jobs and rasped and sanded them to fit {they had a right hand finger rest}. It is a great accurate little pistol with far better trigger pull than any Walther or Browning 1910/22 I've shot or tried and far more accurate to boot. Group above shot at 20 meters {a shovel helps a guy find the range markers... }.

We use our pistols for varmint shooting, stock killing, on the trapline, etc.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2654

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com