Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: GSP training advice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
GSP training advice
      25/01/11 07:09 PM

My GSP in now three years old.

A couple of problems which I would like to train him out of.

1. When playing fetch or during training sessions, he loves to be cheeky and run past me, instead of coming straight to me. And hold onto whatever he has a bit longer.

I think he should be coming straight to me, sit down and then present the toy or whatever straight to me.

I know about the training techniques such as running backwards so the dog follows/chases you instead.

He is excellent in behaviour on the sit command. Used to be great on the "come" command, but needs a bit of reinforcing on that one currently, generally good.

With a toy he will "give" it up a little reluctantly, but holds it lightly and will release it reasonably well. See 2.

2. When retrieving a toy, when he sits near me, usually a step or two too far away, he again is cheeky and turns his head away. If I reach around his head and grab the toy, he will release it pretty well.

But IMO he should be presenting the toy to me, not turning his head away.

3. More seriously, when he has say a rabbit in his mouth, he has developed a hard mouth, actually death's tight grip on the rabbit. He doesn't want to give it up. I usually need to pry it out of his mouth.

Of concern the last rabbit, he did this, and when it was removed, tried to bite my hand. He never bites hard, but it was definite aggression. Rightly or wrongly, my reaction to any dog that growls seriously or tries to bite his master, he gets a quick whack around the head, and a yelling at.

A problem is that as a farm dog he has a lot of freedom and can self hunt a lot.

4. As such he has learned to love CHASING rabbits instead of pointing them. With a dog having his freedom, not sure how to handle this other than have a puppy having much limited freedom from an early age?

Constructive advice, tips and training methods please. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* GSP training advice NitroXAdministrator 25/01/11 07:09 PM
. * * Re: GSP training advice zephyr   01/02/11 11:28 PM
. * * Re: GSP training advice gryphon   02/02/11 04:00 AM
. * * Re: GSP training advice BillA   20/04/11 02:59 PM
. * * Re: GSP training advice gatsby   26/01/11 05:10 AM
. * * Re: GSP training advice 450_EXPRESS   26/01/11 01:53 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2652

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com