Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gun shy dogs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Gun shy dogs
      #379234 - 09/09/23 10:23 PM

How do you lessen issues with gun shy dogs?

My GSP was a bit nervous when I was shooting a .22 RF. A bit pesky but not too much.

But gets very worked up during a thunderstorm. And during close fireworks. Now even gets worked up at fireworks faintly heard from many kilometres away. He's inside and often we can't hear them at all. But he starts whining and walking around nervously. And it's always at the time when fireworks are planned nightly this week. Every night for the last nine of so days.

He has extremely good hearing. From the city house knows when people are in the park next door even in the middle of the night. When we hear nothing.

My previous two GSPs, not a problem. And my fox terrier mutt before them, no problemd. Loved guns. Guns meant rabbits, birds, fun. My father's sheepdogs were all gun shy.

Any tips of what to do or not to do?

I've had some health issues so haven't done as much shooting in recent months, at home at least, where the dog was present. Now have another unexpected problem to solve.

A party nearby a couple of months ago, had fireworks going off right over our houses, launched from a private residence. He went a little nuts from that. Probably started the anxie.

My ideas are:
* Associate the smells of gun oil and burned powder with good things, treats, food, etc. Maybe put a used shotgun shell near his bed. Familiarity.
* Shoot off a quieter gun, bang etc in the near distance, while someone sits and treats the dog. Bangs associated with good things. Come closer as he hopefully shows less distress.
* Rabbits and guns. Association.
* Deer and guns. Association.

A question, comforting a dog showing anxiety from eg distant fireworks, is this good or bad? Does it reward the anxiety?

I'll ask gun dog experts, find my training books etc to research as well. But thought I'd ask here first.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Re: Gun shy dogs [Re: NitroX]
      #379890 - 08/10/23 12:13 AM

I too have a gun-shy dog, a little beagle, 3 years old. He acts just as you describe. He also is very cautious about his surroundings. If anything is out of place, he sees it and very cautiously approaches it or avoids it all together. I carried a large rolled up rug into the house yesterday and he ran to the next room. I put it on the floor, still rolled and he would peek at it from the doorway but wouldn't enter the room until I unrolled it. I have to set with him on my lap every fourth of July and new year's while he quivers from fright! I hope you figure something out!. LK

Edited by Longknife (08/10/23 12:23 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Gun shy dogs [Re: Longknife]
      #379891 - 08/10/23 02:47 AM

The thought of talking to gun dog experts is a good one John.
I have nothing else to suggest.
I grew up with a German Shepherd who was gun shy, thunder shy, frightened from fireworks, but loved "hunting" English sparrows and chickadees with me even though I used a pellet gun. I'm assuming it was sharp noises that frightened her.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Gun shy dogs [Re: DarylS]
      #379895 - 08/10/23 09:03 AM

Both my curly coated retriever pup and golden retriever who was 9mths old when I got him from the breeder were noise shy. The golden was especially sensitive hiding away when I was just using a hammer to modify his kennel. I had the dogs at separate intervals but took them out in the hunting areas with a 22RF firing shots around them while they were swimming or hunting around. Shot a few rabbits with them and didn't take long for them to associate shots with game and from there progressed to a shotgun on rabbits and same thing, they focused on the kills and not the noise. Both became outstanding duck and gamebird dogs and also became proficient on deer and chamois hunting.
They became immune to noise from guns, fireworks, vehicles, thunder, etc., only reacting to thunder or bangs from nail guns etc., as to hey where is the dead animal.

The springer spaniel I have now, right from the just weaned pup when I got her, has never shown any reaction to loud noise and right from the get go has just focused on finding and retrieving game. She was only a 'toddler' when my sons, partners, grandkids and I had an informal range shoot using 22RF's, shotguns and my 404 Jeffery and she just waddled around taking no notice at all of the shooting.

With your GSP I would just persist with shooting around him but try and shoot some game with the 22RF so he will associate bang noise with dead, or better wounded, game that he can find and hold.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Gun shy dogs [Re: eagle27]
      #379898 - 08/10/23 02:47 PM

Good suggestion. I was at a loss.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381012 - 07/12/23 08:47 PM

Sorry I never noticed the replies. Some good replies.

Quote:

My GSP was a bit nervous when I was shooting a .22 RF. A bit pesky but not too much.

Looking at some online sites, most try to blame the dog owner for blasting away near a new puppy. Fairly ignorant to assume this. Some dogs seem to be naturally noise shy.

My fellow, was exposed to a few shots from a ,22 RF, and was acting a little disturbed after awhile, rubbing against me, so I stopped.

I believe a really bad thunderstorm was one thing causing his distress. It really banged and shook the house.

Then a neighbour a street away had home fireworks, shooting them up into the air. That scared him a lot.

Even a car back firing well in the distance causes him to start pacing around.

Over night we had a at least six hour to whole night constant thunderstorm. He was locked up in his backroom and had to cope. I didn't check on him.

Two days ago I got my oldMauser ,22 RF and Simson Suhl shotgun out to fondle. When he noticed the ,22 he got scared and acted up. But not the shotgun. Did he remember that rifle firing? Now he acts scared of my shotgun, even my handgun, which did not bother him previously. I am guessing residual burned powder and gun oil smells are the connectors.

A worry when he's associating guns and gun smells with the loud bangs.

I've purposely put a gun in the lounge room leaning on a chair. To get him comfortable with them around and the smell. He wouldn't stay in the lounge room. When he decided to instead sitbon the sofa in my wife's study, he's not allowed on chairs, I decided to put the rifle on the sofacwhen hecwas outside, Then he wouldn't come into the lounge or the study. Sensitive little big boy. When he eventually came in the lounge he wanted to snuggle with me half on the lounge. As he half lay there I could see him eyeing the shotgun from the corner of his eyes.

So now I'm putting the guns in their gunbags in the rooms. He is coping with that in the study, keeps him off the sofa as well. I'm about to do it in the lounge room.

Slowly Slowly catchee monkey.

I'll move to unbagged. Put treats near them. Eventually feed him treats holding them. Acquire a cap gun if they still exist. Or a starter pistol. Noise in the distance while treating him. Associate treats with both guns and distant bangs. Bangs will get closer as he hopefully gets comfortable. Then .22 RF, then shotgun. Then centefird if he gets comfortable.

I'll put some fired shot shells around the place. He needs to be acclimatised with the aroma. He's got fantastic hearing and smell senses.

Going to take lots of patience. Never thought a GSP would be like this.

I'm expecting a big thunderstorm tomorrow and this weekend. Going to be "mid 40' deg C" tomorrow per the climate change promoters Bureau of Meteorology and ABC. Then heavy rain and extreme winds ...... EVERYONE PANIC !

Anyway thunderstorms are not good for the young sensitive fellow.

Fireworks 31cDec New Year's Eve, if not before.

None of which helps training to cope with bangs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381013 - 07/12/23 08:49 PM

Willow Creek Kennels Homepage

How to Cure the Gun Shy Hunting Dog

The Willow Creek Team April 14, 2018
GUN TRAINING GUN SHY

It’s easier to methodically condition a dog to gunfire than to cure a case of gun shyness. But if you have patience, there is hope for the gun-shy dog.

By Chad Hines

We call them hunting dogs, bird dogs, and ‘gun’ dogs interchangeably. Whatever you call them, the dog you take hunting needs to be comfortable with the sound of gunfire. The best dogs get excited when they hear the report of the gun, and it makes them hunt harder, concentrate more, look to you for instructions.

But what if your hunting dog develops a fear of gunfire? I’ve seen potentially good hunting dogs with such a fear of loud noises that they would shake like a leaf and hide under the couch in a thunderstorm.

Gun shyness is sad to see, because it’s normally preventable. But there will always be those who just take their dogs out hunting, and the first gunshot they hear is in the heat of a hunt, and at that point it’s a matter of luck as to whether the dog reacts favorably.

There are many people who believe that once a dog is gun shy, it’s a lost cause, a condition that can never be reversed. It certainly takes a lot of work, and it will always be simpler to prevent gun shyness than fix it.

There are things you can try, but bring your patience.

CURING THE GUN-SHY DOG

Let’s say your dog is already fearful of gunfire. The first thing to try––prepare yourself to have patience––is the same progression you should have used before the puppy was ever exposed to gunfire. But now, expect the process to take a long time, and make sure the gun-shy dog is completely comfortable before advancing.

Start by making a fairly loud noise, such as clapping your hands, and immediately following up with something good. A treat, for instance. Progress to louder and louder noises, always followed by something good.

When you think the dog is ready to hear the sound of a gunshot, start with a ‘starters pistol,’ which shoots blanks. Fire the first shots at a distance, and make sure something good follows the shot (treats or praise are good choices). Gradually move closer until you can shoot standing right next to the dog. If you notice any signs of fear, back off and try a quieter noise for a few sessions. It helps to have an assistant fire the gun at a distance, so you can instantly give the reward when the dog hears the bang.

Once you’re sure the dog has accepted the sound of the starters pistol, progress to the louder sound of a shotgun. Again, begin further away, and have your helper move closer, until the gunshot can come while the shooter is standing next to the dog.

READY FOR BIRDS

Now, you’re ready to associate the gunfire with live birds. Your gun-shy dog must already have been introduced to birds, and be excited about them. Let a pigeon or pheasant go and let your dog chase the bird. When the dog is about 50 yards away and concentrating on the bird, shoot the blank pistol. If your dog shows no signs of being intimidated by the gun, throw another bird and shoot when the dog is about 40 yards away and concentrating on the bird.

Continue with the progression, shooting when the dog is closer and closer to you, until you can fire the gun when the dog is within five yards of you. After you get to that stage, try teasing the dog with the bird, firing the gun, and throwing the bird for him. (You may want to let him have this bird to retrieve, by clipping some feathers on one wing so the bird cannot fly away.)

When you get all the way through this progression with the blank pistol, start the process over again, substituting the louder report of a shotgun. With a dog that’s shy of gunfire, it’s better to take more steps than to have to go back to the drawing board.

If all goes well, the dog eventually hears the gun and looks for a bird to come down. At that point, your work on the association is complete.

The most important thing to remember is this: If your dog shows any fear of the gunfire, switch to a quieter noise and try the progression again. If your dog is showing fear, you are moving too fast.

OTHER THINGS TO TRY WITH A GUN SHY DOG

Some cases of gun shyness are worse than others. If you try the first program and it doesn’t work, there are some other things you can try.

Do not feed or water your dog for a day, then give him food and water, and clap your hands. Then, do the other steps in the progression only when it’s feeding time. At this point, you are reintroducing the association of loud noises with something good––food and water. If your dog won’t eat after the noise, leave him alone with his food and water. Give him enough food so he remains healthy, but keep him hungry so you can continue to introduce at least a fairly loud noise before feeding him each time.
If the ‘feeding routine’ doesn’t work well with your dog, find something else he really likes and begin it by clapping your hands. Things your dog enjoys might be coming out of the kennel, going for a ride in the truck, or playing a fun game of fetch. Just make sure you make the noise first, and follow it immediately with the thing your dog likes. Progress to louder noises until you can, for example, to shoot the gun, then let him out of the kennel. Something good always comes after the noise.
Also, when you’re working out a case of gun shyness, try letting your dog out to run with other dogs. Your dog should feel comfortable in that type of setting. At some point when they’re all concentrating on playing with each other, fire off the gun. When the noise doesn’t bother the other dogs, your dog may pick up on that. I’ve seen it work.
No matter what route you take to cure the gun-shy dog, start small and work your way up to a gradually closer and louder noise. And remember: don’t shoot around birds if your dog has not been properly introduced to them. If you do, and the dog develops a case of gun shyness, the dog is likely to associate the loud, bad noise with birds––and birds can also become ‘bad’ to them.

Notes: If you’d like help training your dog or correcting specific problems;

Contact – Chad Hines at Willow Creek Kennels in Little Falls, Minnesota,

Phone: (320)360-3603

E-mail: willowcreekkennels@hotmail.com

https://willowcreekkennels.net/learning-center/how-cure-gun-shy-hunting-dog

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #381021 - 08/12/23 12:38 AM

One thing I think helps is bonding.

Spending quiet time w/ the pup. Then having the pup around you constantly so there is a strong bond of trust. My old guy, alas...nearing the end...grow up literally sleeping under my forging anvil and firewood splitting stump, curled up snoozing whilst sparks flew and wood chips rained down on him. Guns? Good grief just try to keep him away from them!

Ditto his daughter who I have as well. And interestingly, she is TERRIFIED of thunder and other strange noises. But LOUD gunfire? She's a fan!!

I have an outside dog that lives in a large pen overlooking our livestock. An "early warning system" of which he excels. Great animal. But I did not spend the same amount of time w/ him. He is very fond of me and the family and little kids (all necessary around here) but he's gun shy. I've worked a little with him but these posts are encouraging me to work more.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Gun shy dogs [Re: 9.3x57]
      #381078 - 09/12/23 07:54 PM

current dog is trained for gun shots but don't like firework and thunderstorm. the old vizsla was completely indifferent against firework burning 2 meter beside of him.
when I notice he fear firework- first sylvester night when he was 7 months old - start again with shot training with a 6 mm blank firing pistol.first at long distance then coming closer while he was hold by his beloved mistres all the time.this happen over weeks with maybe 3 - 6 shots a day until we were seeing it was good now.
there must be a difference in the noice! a 12 ga shotgun at close range is no problem but firework at 1 km makes him still nervous.
I recommend allways the small 6 mm starting pistols for dog training. its a real shot but not to loud to make the ears ringing. start from a dictance then coming closer and the dog must be with someone he real trust.not to tell him that everything is fine, he knows something happen and its not exactly fine.
but there is someone he trust and he see than what make's bang nothing bad happen. and than the good things in live must come for a dog. it makes bang and a moment later he find game and can retrive so the noise will be connected with things that make fun.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381079 - 09/12/23 08:58 PM

Quote:

One thing I think helps is bonding.

This rang a bell with me.Perhaps? He is very bonded but maybe not as much as the previous two(?). Unfortunaly I have been a little unwell the past year or more. So this fellow has grown up much more as an urban dog. And spent far more time in the backyard by himself. Though my first had to cope with me being in a day job ,most of his life. He did have grandparents to entertain him.

More activity, a lot more training. And patient bang, gun, and gun smell training. Definitely some rabbits and birds as part of it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Gun shy dogs [Re: lancaster]
      #381080 - 09/12/23 09:16 PM

Quote:

but there is someone he trust and he see than what make's bang nothing bad happen. and than the good things in live must come for a dog. it makes bang and a moment later he find game and can retrive so the noise will be connected with things that make fun.

Wifee will need to move herself and help.

I'm thinking after the bang training as part of it, to associate a bang with good things, in the city park, drag a sausage around for scenting, then get Donder to find it. Progressing later to rabbits and birds.

Hear a bang, get a sausage, joy! I hope.

Have to see if those dangerous sounding starter pistols are available here. I doubt they are.

The fellow is eager for rabbits. But on a walk a week ago, completely ignored a native pigeon or dove at two metres on the pathway. More interested in sniffing some plants. I picked him as a puppy, one reason, was he watched birds flying over,

He is strongly interested in deer though, a plus.

I've got lots of pigeons shitting in my sheds. Must harvest some wings. Catch some if I can.

Global warming today. Put on a polar fleece long sleeved shirt,a tweed shooting vest, and my Barbour Oilskin Coat for a Summer afternoon walk with Donder. In light rain, which kept all the urbanites huddling indoors. Had parks and streets to myself.

Yesterday the fake news weather forecasters had forecast "mid 40s C" which was actually 30 deg C.

An inch or two rain forecast. True or false?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #381082 - 10/12/23 12:58 AM

Wow, John. It's supposed to be almost summer there!

I had to doublecheck to make sure you were still in Oz!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

#381086 - 10/12/23 04:24 AM

30 is too hot for me. Yikes. "We" like it about 25 max.
Sounds like Adelaide right now.
All the reports were hottest summer ever, for this one just past, however I was at the lake for all 3 of them and it wasn't as hot this last last summer, as the 2 or 3 previous.
Nothing but lies in the 'reporting' here.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381100 - 10/12/23 07:47 PM

Quote:

Wow, John. It's supposed to be almost summer there!

I had to doublecheck to make sure you were still in Oz!!

16 feg C today, rain and strong winds.

Global warming also brings global cooling. Co2 is an amazing gas ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (10/12/23 07:48 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381101 - 10/12/23 08:02 PM

Quote:

All the reports were hottest summer ever, for this one just past, however I was at the lake for all 3 of them and it wasn't as hot this last last summer, as the 2 or 3 previous.
Nothing but lies in the 'reporting' here.

I was at the physio getting my damaged neck worked on, and joked they will say "2023 was the hottest year on record", it was hot at 30 but not the "mid 40s" forecast. The receptionist said " they have today". Globally the BS organisation for invented weather announced "a month early" to coincide with the billionaire fest in Dubai, the hottest year globally, "third year in a row". We're already boiling past the 50 year target, or something. Let's not wait till the new year to announce our lies, theyre BS anyway.

No doubt it will be announced in Australia as well. It is every year ... "Hottest year on record".

It's been a cool and cold year. Winter was cold and wet. Spring was cool to cold with good rains. Summer and late spring, maybe two hot days? Usually regular hot days and a week or two at a time.

I'm looking for a cool Summer.

The Weather Whether we tell the truth or not, forecasters, predicted a panic El Nino year and period for 2023, 2024, a weather pattern of hot dry drought years.

I have close to zero faith in weather forecasts now. They are push propaganda. Panic. Fear. Depression. Anxiety. Is the objective. Not accurate useful weather forecasts.

I look at satellite images for my own forecasts and what the weather is like in realm terms to the far west, WA etc.

Will still take Donder for another Wintery Summer walk and run.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

#381107 - 10/12/23 09:51 PM

they came with the same bullshit here - hottest november ever - we had snow and ice since 27 of november until yesterday!

its possible to shot dummies with a shotgun. Keller & Simmann make inserts for common 9 mm blanks

https://www.einstecklauf.de/aktuelles.html

its an expensive pleasure and hard to get in australia but a reloader can copy this with a common cheap shotgun, handload 12 ga blanks to fire a dummy for the dog. this connect play and noise in the best way together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz52khzzdTQ

there are other special dummy launcher maybe better available for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiTMn_xCQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTCzfSi7ZA

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381111 - 10/12/23 11:20 PM

Quote:

they came with the same bullshit here - hottest november ever - we had snow and ice since 27 of november until yesterday!

its possible to shot dummies with a shotgun. Keller & Simmann make inserts for common 9 mm blanks

https://www.einstecklauf.de/aktuelles.html

its an expensive pleasure and hard to get in australia but a reloader can copy this with a common cheap shotgun, handload 12 ga blanks to fire a dummy for the dog. this connect play and noise in the best way together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz52khzzdTQ

there are other special dummy launcher maybe better available for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiTMn_xCQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTCzfSi7ZA

First question, are the 9 mm blanks you mention actual 9 mm pistol cartridge blanks? Shot from a true 9 mm handgun? Or some starter pistol blanks?

I think a shotgun dummy launcher would be great fun. Associated with a gun. The bang. The launched dummy bird. And fun for me.

But we'll down the gun shy dog training track. First he needs to not be scared of guns. Then distant hangs and so on.

I'd seen videos of specialist dog dummy launchers. Not a shotgun. But they cost hundreds of dollars.

I don't think either will be acceptable for a public park.

Btw yesterday was the wettest December day for 75 years.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381112 - 10/12/23 11:40 PM

I've noticed the dog's leash. I've one just like that. I bought it maybe in Wiesbaden or ? I forget. From a small gun shop. I think Frankonis Jagdvsells them. Unknown here in Australia. I'd love to buy a few wholesale for reselling.

The leash has two loops, one closed. Stupidly it was my third GSP before I realised that loop is designed to be worn around ones shoulder, chest. Hands free. The other loop can be a single leather strap for increased length. Or slid under the dogs collar and looped back to a ring at the juncture of the two loops. The catch is a good quick release double reverse levers, press together the two bits and the catch opens. No hook to catch on. It works well. The brass (?) on mine finally broke with young strong brute Donder and twenty five years of wear. A leather worker fitted a standard stainless steel closing hook for me.

A good sling. Hands free. Strong. The catch is strong. The dog can be one hand, two fingers, quickly released.

Vets, pet shopmowners, people have asked me where I got it. How can I found out who makes them? I'd like to buy some wholesale, direct makers price, and sell them here. Through NE.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381117 - 11/12/23 12:43 AM

Quote:

... start again with shot training with a 6 mm blank firing pistol.first at long distance then coming closer while he was hold by his beloved mistres all the time.this happen over weeks with maybe 3 - 6 shots a day until we were seeing it was good now.

there must be a difference in the noice! a 12 ga shotgun at close range is no problem but firework at 1 km makes him still nervous.

I recommend allways the small 6 mm starting pistols for dog training. its a real shot but not to loud to make the ears ringing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

#381118 - 11/12/23 12:49 AM

the Keller&Simmann barrel insert shot the 9x17 Blank for the Blitz-Kerner cattle killer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol

https://www.333shop.com/de/shop/product/13-blitz-kerner-bolzenschussgerat-5148

the 9x17 blank is the old 380CF revolver case loaded in different hot loads from small animal up to bulls by RWS, Fiocchi maybe other

https://hausschlachtebedarf.de/rws-viehbetaeubungskartuschen-kaliber-9x17-50-stk

colour code show how hot its loaded. with different colours you get different firing range

the blitz/kerner is now maybe the most used of this devices and so also available in australia including the ammo. look for farmer or butcher shops.

anyway, the K&S barrel insert is expensive and to get it to australia may be a problem.
the american made DT system, dummy launcher looks not bad. its not a gun here and free to buy when 18 years old and that says lot. you find it on amazon for 134 euro, ammo cost 16 -22 euro for 100 22 lng rimfire blanks.half the price of the 9x17 R blank

https://www.amazon.de/Systems-super-pro-...pid=74318857649

https://www.hund-und-freizeit.com/hundet...BCABEgLNq_D_BwE

there is also a duck dummy from another firm that fits this launcher
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Trainer-Dokkens-Launcher-Dummy-Winged/dp/B00E493EK6

you can use the dummy launcher without dummy also to fire the little 6 mm blank I recommend for a little starter pistol before so you dont need an extra starter pistol. when the dog knows it you can go to the 22 long blanks and fire dummys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0shVV7detoE&t=28s

I can't believe this is classified to be a "firearm" in australia.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#381122 - 11/12/23 04:17 AM

I love springers. Such beautiful dogs. There are others that fit that category, yes, I know.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381718 - 01/01/24 09:06 PM

Donder survived New Year's Eve fireworks.

He hears them all.

The city and coastline fireworks he was distracted with small cubes of cheese and Scooby snack biscuits. Catching many tossed to him. Crackling cheese packet also in between.

A dickhead nearby neighbour shooting off maybe a half dozen almost overhead was very loud. And caused distress but not long lasting.

He is still scared by the sight or smell of guns.

I still need an urban suitable starting pistol or cap gun.

He got through New Year's Eve pretty well. I didn't want the fireworks messing him up on progress or reinforcing previous fears.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#381721 - 02/01/24 03:31 AM

Any friends with cap and ball revolvers? A Cylinder of percussion caps (6 shots) at a time might work instead.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381736 - 02/01/24 03:23 PM

Quote:

Any friends with cap and ball revolvers? A Cylinder of percussion caps (6 shots) at a time might work instead.

You're kidding, right?

Classified as a handgun here. I actually do know of ONE person with one. They'd hardly allow it to be loaned out. And using one in a park would get police called pretty quickly and oss of licence. I'd be nervous using a realistic looking cap gun due to nervous urban nellies, possibly phoning cops.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/01/24 03:33 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381737 - 02/01/24 03:29 PM

Moved the English springer spaniel pictures to its own thread

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1681

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com