Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Terriers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Terriers
      #123017 - 05/01/09 07:16 AM

Hello Folks,

My dog Bess passed away recently. She was my constant, daily companion for over 12 years. Although no dog can ever replace Bess, I need a dog in my life. I'm looking for an Irish or airedale terrier puppy. If you know anybody in Virginia, Maryland or North Carolina who might have a litter soon, I'd appreciate hearing about him.

Also, if you know anything about these two breeds, I'd appreciate talking to you. Bess was a smooth coated fox terrier, so I know terriers, but not Irish and airedale terriers.

Thanks, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Terriers [Re: Tatume]
      #123626 - 10/01/09 07:07 PM

Tom,

My second dog was an Airedale. Beautiful dogs and very friendly with people but complete terrors with other animals. I was away from home for some time when I joined university and she became very attached to my mother as she grew older. She could grow destructive and destroy a lot of stuff if my mother left her at home and went out - Airedales are very strong for their size like all terriers. Other than that, they live very long and are superlatively intelligent. Haven't had an Airedale since (it hits you hard when you lose a dog like that and I don't have Cocker Spaniels and Collies for the same reason) but I now have a little Tibetan Terrier whom I brought with me to the USA from India when I movedhere, and this is one of the best decisions that I have made in my life.

Hope you find a lovely pup and do post pictures of him / her when you can.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Terriers [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #123639 - 10/01/09 11:58 PM

Dear Mehul,

Here is a photo of Bess, with her brother Loki the cat.

Take care, Tom

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #123655 - 11/01/09 03:59 AM

Once you had one of those small terriers you won't be satisfied with anything else.

I have three rat terriers, cousins to the Fox Terrier. great companion dogs. Good house dogs. Easy to train. Can be taught to live with cats if they have to, or can be taught to kill them. They don't need as much space to run around as the big dogs, but they will use every acre you have if yiu let them.

Karla

Teddy

Olivia

The best thing about these little dogs is the pile they leave in the yard is about 1/3 the size of a large dog.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Terriers [Re: DoubleD]
      #123656 - 11/01/09 04:04 AM

The only Terriers I have owned are Schnauzers, and I do like them. I also grew up with Retrievers, which was inevitable considering I lived along one of best tributaries along the Mississippi Flyway. Since then, I've gravitated to the pointing breeds to support my addiction for bird hunting.

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Terriers [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #123660 - 11/01/09 04:27 AM

When my youngest son was 2 (30 years ago), I bought him an Airdale puppy. Katy was a wonderful dog, but not the brightest I have ever owned. However, she was as brave as a lion, and would have taken on a grizzly, had the opportunity presented itself. She hated vets, so when the time came at age 15 to put her down, rather than submitting her to the stress of a trip to the cliniic, I did the job myself, holding her in my arms. I don't mind admitting that more than a few tears were shed.

She was the last dog I have owned, in a long line of pets which included a dachshund, three borzois, a basset, and too many Irish wolfhounds to count. My wife and I travel a lot, and until I reach the point where I don't have to concern myself with finding someone to care for a dog/dogs while we're gone, I don't want the responsibility. The day will come, however, when we settle down, and then I expect the pack of dogs to reappear. My choice for the next acquisition would be a BGS (Bavarian mountain tracking dog).

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Terriers [Re: xausa]
      #123838 - 12/01/09 06:38 PM

I have a Jack Russel female and a1'2 Jack 1/2 Pug mail. Both are wonderful dogs but completely different. The 1/2 is very methodical, not afraid of anything walking. He thinks things through and doesn't waste any energy. The JR is the opposite She bounces off the walls and never walks anywhere when she can run. They have kept the Possum population down around here and even took on a Coyote last Summer.

I would have either again in minute and I like the way they can always ride along in the care.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Terriers [Re: mickey]
      #123964 - 13/01/09 11:34 PM

Why not another foxterrier? Both Irish and aidales are quite big but still terriers.
For me terrier is hunting dog so i prefer german hunting terrier.

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Terriers [Re: Paatti]
      #123974 - 14/01/09 12:36 AM

Quote:

Why not another fox terrier? Both Irish and aidales are quite big but still terriers.

Actually, that decision is still on the table. My wife and I are concerned about size. There are other considerations I've not mentioned. The fox terrier is a leading contender though.

Thanks, Tom

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #124617 - 20/01/09 04:51 PM

Hello new to the site and looking forward to participating

Paati that is a fabulous looking terrier.I have a young Patterdale/Russell cross bitch v. similar looking.

I have kept and hunted with working terriers all my life
both in the UK and here. Whilst I have kept,and still do, other types (mostly Lurchers, gundogs, Scottish Deerhounds) the terriers are perhaps the most versatile.

I have worked mine to fox (dens and bushing), rat, rabbit (ferreting,longnetting bushing flushing to gun or lurcher) trained a couple as rough shooting dogs (and I do mean rough LOL, not exactly soft mouthed when excited)hunted Mink and grey squirrel, found and flushed pigs with them and used them as follow up dogs on deer etc.
They are prone to be hard headed and not for everyone but a good one is as game a wee beast as ever drew breath. Have seen video of some nice leggy Russell types in SA and Zim doing a cracking job over there.

Would love to hunt with Airedales one day there is a gent who has a website for his working airedale kennel, I disremember his name, might be worth a look.Also plenty of top class UK line
Russells and Pats (Nuttalls etc) in the US now.

An interesting if a little out of date book on terriers is "Hunt and Working Terriers" by Capt J.B. Lucas available from Tideline as a reprint.Some East African stuff and European Boar with terriers as well as Badger,fox etc.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #124647 - 20/01/09 10:33 PM

It might be worth looking at Welsh Terriers,Lakeland Terrier,or maybe a Wire Haired Fox terrier as they are all about the same size
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
Re: Terriers [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #124651 - 21/01/09 12:10 AM

But to find a welsh,wirehaired foxy or KC reg Lakeland that has real deal working blood well....hens teeth. Having said that I have a pal with a KC reg Bedlington that is a superlative worker and more to the point has thrown some excellent pups so maybe....genetics the most exact, inexact science in the world LOL

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

Tatume
.400 member

#124652 - 21/01/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

It might be worth looking at Welsh Terriers,Lakeland Terrier,or maybe a Wire Haired Fox terrier as they are all about the same size
Al

Hi Al,

I'm very interested in the Welsh and Lakeland terriers, but cannot find any nearby. I think I may have a lead on a wire fox terrier breeder, and I'm going to pursue it.

Thanks.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Terriers [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #124890 - 23/01/09 01:06 AM

John,a friend of mine here in WA bought a brand new falcon.
His wife left their bedlam (bedlington) terror in the car for half an hour,on her return the dog had destroyed all the seats,carpet and dash and was working on the steering wheel,
I dont know where the dog went but it didn't last long at his place.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Tatume
.400 member

#124911 - 23/01/09 04:56 AM

Quote:

His wife left their bedlam (bedlington) terror in the car for half an hour,on her return the dog had destroyed all the seats, carpet and dash and was working on the steering wheel ...

I was in a parking lot a few years ago and heard a commotion. In a nearby car a fellow had left a Parsons (Jack) Russell terrier and locked the doors. The little fellow was ripping the upholstery to shreds, shaking his head and growling the whole time. There was nothing I could do but smile.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2726

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com