Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Australian Cattle Dog

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Australian Cattle Dog
      #122879 - 03/01/09 06:03 AM

Hello Folks,

Does anyone here have experience with this breed? How are they to train? What is the temperment like? What is the usual lifespan?

Thanks, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul_416
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/08
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Australian Cattle Dog [Re: Tatume]
      #122882 - 03/01/09 07:22 AM

A great dog, but they do suffer from boredom if left to their own devices in a suburban back yard. Irrigation and sprinkler systems do tend to suffer. Being a catle dog they have been bred to snap at ankles. You should get at least ten years out of a dog. Bluey is a popular name for them.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Australian Cattle Dog [Re: Paul_416]
      #122884 - 03/01/09 08:55 AM

I have had one in the past. She was a young and from a rescue and totally untrainable. Very wild and nippy. Her instinct ws to herd, be it deer, toddlers, old folks, ducks, cars, etc.......That said I have been around many more as I live in Wyoming, USA and we have plenty of Heelers here. From a pup they seem to be easy to house train and voice command. They are very instictual and will herd. They seem to have boundless energy and will need vigorous exercise everyday. Everyday. They can be trained to be a family dog as well but they are always very close to being wild, so they will be strong willed and short tempered. I have heard they have a very long life span, 20+ years. The Blue's seem to be a bit more even tempered, with the reds being decidedly higher strung. They doc there tails, they are not born stub tailed. We have a lot of cattle dog mixes here and that seems to mellow them out some. I love them and a doc'd double masked Blue female is in my future I am sure.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Australian Cattle Dog [Re: Caprivi]
      #122885 - 03/01/09 09:05 AM

My cousin in Colorado, who also has a working ranch in Wyoming, has three Blue Heelers and what Caprivi mentions above is indeed very true. His dogs were family dogs and a bit more even tempered but their element is the wide open spaces for sure. They are very intelligent and very loyal. They will also protect the family to which they belong.

--------------------

iomskp
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/08
Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia
Re: Australian Cattle Dog [Re: Caprivi]
      #122888 - 03/01/09 11:04 AM

Just to ad to the confusion there is a short tailed cattle dog not rare but not common it does look to be docked but they are born that way the common name here is the stumpy tailed smithfield or just the smithfield cattle dog

dan_oz
.224 member

Reged: 04/09/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Australian Cattle Dog [Re: iomskp]
      #122894 - 03/01/09 02:13 PM

I think Caprivi has pretty near nailed it. If you have cattle for them to work they are great: they'll do it beautifully and go hard all day. As pets though they go nuts, and they'll engage in all sorts of destructive behaviour if they don't have work, and a lot of it. Ours on the farm would go out and work the stock by himself if he had nothing better to do, or herd the chooks.

They can make a reasonable pig dog, and ours liked catching and killing foxes. They tend to be a bit nippy too, but they are intelligent and can be trained. Definitely an outside dog though.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Australian Cattle Dog [Re: iomskp]
      #122895 - 03/01/09 02:26 PM

Quote:

Just to ad to the confusion there is a short tailed cattle dog not rare but not common it does look to be docked but they are born that way the common name here is the stumpy tailed smithfield or just the smithfield cattle dog

I had thought there was a naturally short tailed that is pretty much a OZ dog, but could remember its name. Thanks for the clarification.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2074

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com