Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: English Springer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
English Springer
      #381734 - 02/01/24 01:18 PM

From day one in the field as a pup my English springer has completely ignore gunshots or other loud noises. Just looks for what has fallen from the sky.

Some recent shots of her. She'll be three years old end of May this year. Strong little dog and powerful swimmer, she'll go anywhere.

Edited by NitroX (02/01/24 03:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: English Springer [Re: eagle27]
      #381735 - 02/01/24 02:49 PM

Beautiful smallish Springer. Love em. Very similar to mine. Mine too, as far as shooting was concerned.
The hunting Springers have longer tails (flags) so they can be "seen" bounding through underbrush.
She's gorgeous.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by NitroX (02/01/24 03:26 PM)

eagle27
.400 member

Re: English Springer [Re: DarylS]
      #381743 - 02/01/24 04:11 PM

Quote:

Beautiful smallish Springer. Love em. Very similar to mine. Mine too, as far as shooting was concerned.
The hunting Springers have longer tails (flags) so they can be "seen" bounding through underbrush.
She's gorgeous.

First photo she was a bit younger with shorter dark liver coat but as in later second two photos she has grown a longer golden tinged coat with a well feathered flag tail and legs. Although smallish to look at it doesn't belie that she is a solid heavy lump at 17.5kgs. A real smooch with everyone, especially kids, but absolutely dedicated to birds in any cover or water. During the three months of our gamebird season I am able to shoot flight path duck and swan every evening of the week only 5 minutes from home (if I so wish), She just lives for the gun to be got out of the safe and we're off.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #381747 - 02/01/24 04:28 PM

Lovely dog. They are such pretty dogs.

I think I'd not have one. The long hair. Shedding. But mainly due to prickles and burrs on the farm getting tangled in that long hair.

My first two GSPs showed only minor nervousness to gun shots first at a distance. But after that, fun. Guns and gun smell elicited excitement.

This fellow I shot a few .22s at a target. He showed some nervousness. Started rubbing against my legs. No hiding or running away. A city neighbours loud long and multiple fireworks shot overhead scared him a lot. Then a six hour overhead very loud cracking thunderstorm. Now there's a big problem.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: English Springer [Re: NitroX]
      #381752 - 03/01/24 05:04 AM

My "Foxton's Lady Jessica" weighed 30 pounds(13.64kg) & as a runt, was spayed before having a litter. Wonderful with absolutely everyone except for 2 guys I "had" to work with at the jail.
We got her at 9 months of age and she was part of our family for 16 years. Most springers don't see 12 years, I've read.
Glad to hear it sounds like it's getting better, John.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: English Springer [Re: NitroX]
      #381753 - 03/01/24 05:04 AM

Eagle27,
Very lovely dog. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
RB

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: English Springer [Re: 85lc]
      #381972 - 16/01/24 09:18 AM

Very pretty dog!

We just got our new little Springer spayed last week - the cone comes off tomorrow. We got her September 1st and is coming up to 6 months old now. Liberated her from a prestigious reputable registered breeder (for a princely sum) that does only field dog Springers….. I gotta say, I’m absolutely head over heels smitten with that little high energy bundle of joy!

She is a wonderfully mannered dog and learns faster than any other dog I’ve ever had.

About the hair length - her hair is quite short. But she does shed some. I suppose it will get longer over time.

Edited by Postman (16/01/24 09:27 AM)

eagle27
.400 member

Re: English Springer [Re: Postman]
      #381976 - 16/01/24 02:53 PM

As per our vet's advice I let my springer come into season after which she would be spayed. She was 9 months old when she came into season but after that died off she then experienced a phantom pregnancy. Her mammary glands swelled as though in milk and she 'nested' around the house, scratching beds for herself under beds and behind furniture. I suspected it was a PP as she had never got with a dog during her heat period and the vet confirmed she wasn't pregnant. Had to wait for the PP to die off before having her spayed otherwise she would have been forever in PP mode if spayed during the PP, according to the vet.

In the end all worked out well, a blessing to get the cone off after the operation. The breeder of my springer has both the mother and father and I had seen the pair out duck hunting over several years. Pure bred but no papers. They produced two litters, one litter of ten pups and the second litter from whence my springer came, 12 pups.

My springer didn't grow the feathering around the legs, tail and neck until she was approximately 18+ months old, and the longer body hair until recent months.

eagle27
.400 member

#382132 - 25/01/24 03:58 PM

Out for our morning walk a couple of days ago and came across a Paradise duck standing up on a mound of dirt in a farm paddock. Could see it had a broken wing and once we got close it took off half flying and running. Izzy covered the distance in a flash and took it down, she was pretty pleased with her out of season catch. I suspect the young bird came into contact with a guy wire on a nearby tall AM radio mast out in the middle of the farmland to break it's wing. Paradise ducks are technically called a 'shelduck' not an actual cross breed but a bird in size between a duck and a goose.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #382133 - 25/01/24 04:31 PM

We had the same Phantom Pregnancy with a GSP bitch we had many years ago.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com