Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pointing

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Pointing
      #341497 - 30/05/20 08:52 PM

I was watching a programme on TV or possibly reading an internet site and it was stated, "only two 'animals' understand pointing'. Humans and dogs. I suspect but don't know, that dolphins might as well. Even chimpanzees and other monkeys don't understand if you say point with your finger at something say three metres away to look at that spot. Or search that spot.

Found it amazing but then duh, of course, we even call some dogs pointers. Duh!

I imagine our dog breeds such as GSPs are especially smart on abstract thinking such as pointing. I know border collies used to as well.

So I have lots of fun with Blitzen playing "pointing". They do it so readily and naturally. Not him pointing with his nose. I point at something and he immediately looks there. Now both of us are cheese addicts. Like Wallace and Grommett at the moon, made of cheese. I eat some lovely matured cheddar with a lot of meals. Blitzen of course watches avidly. Usually settling down. As soon as I finish he perks up and sits up. And is very disappointed if he gets no cheese. So I usually reserve several small squares, and toss them a bit widely. He of course sights and smells most of them. However pointing at one hidden furtherer away, he looks at that spot and "Yay, more cheese!" Of course dogs are food and treat motivated and it works quickly. Just some fun.

I now when feeding him, I sometimes just point towards the room and he runs immediately there.

We know pointers will observe another dog pointing and copy the point. And honour the point as well.

The hunting advantages are obvious. Ducks flying overhead, "Ducks!" and point at the sky. I remember genius Siegfried used to scan the sky. Blitzen when younger never did. I wonder if he will do it better now. I am sure his response to my pointing has improved. Food is a great incentive.

I will have to try my old man out on long distance points. Useful if I want an area searched for a retrieve. In the past I have used voice commands and hand signals, but not actual pointing. Perhaps even using a long stick or staff might reinforce the point direction.

I'd particularly like to hear from GSP trainers about any thing relating to this. And tips?

Perhaps a lot of this is obvious to experienced GSP trainers? But we understand their points, but they also understand our points. A bit of fun anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Pointing [Re: NitroX]
      #350140 - 08/02/21 03:41 AM

No interest? Is it obvious?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Pointing [Re: NitroX]
      #350142 - 08/02/21 03:47 AM

Quote:

No interest? Is it obvious?

I have interest and will respond when I get back in.. WE are in the middle of a very severe winter storm here.. I have been up 3 nights in a row checking the cattle during the storm.. now the snow is finally subsiding however brutal temps are coming for the next week.. -30F forecasted for this coming week for overnight lows..after the next 7 days looking much better but need to take great care during this time for the livestock..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pointing [Re: Ripp]
      #350153 - 08/02/21 08:27 AM

I couldn't get on the site yesterday. Today, no problem but a little slow working.

My English Springer followed pointing, back to me, away forward, left and right, all hand signals and part and parcel to retriever training.

Blow the whistle, she stops whether running or swimming and looks for direction - she picked that up in one lesson, maybe 15-20 minutes of training.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Pointing [Re: DarylS]
      #350166 - 08/02/21 12:59 PM

My German wirehairs go to an area when I point to it ..in fact all 5 that I have had did that.. and as you state, they will also back another dog pointing as well..

I did not know dogs and humans are the only ones.. interesting..

IMHO, of the two, dogs are much nicer to be around in general.. always happy..don't want anything from you.. just happy to be with you.,, awesome..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pointing [Re: Ripp]
      #350187 - 09/02/21 06:46 AM

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for 2 hours.
When you open the truck's lid, which one is happy to see you?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Pointing [Re: DarylS]
      #350217 - 10/02/21 03:53 AM

Quote:

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for 2 hours.
When you open the truck's lid, which one is happy to see you?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com