Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: European Carp in Western Rivers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
European Carp in Western Rivers
      #132 - 29/12/02 11:02 PM

From: bushman (Original Message) Sent: 4/29/2002 10:39 PM
As well as being a keen shooter , i also enjoy fishing, both salt water and fresh water, but since moveing to the mid west of N.S.W. (Australia)i have tried to fish the rivers around this area, but have found that the european carp have just about wiped out all the native specias in the rivers around here, they are bottom feeders and stir up the river that much the the native fish can`t survive, a law has since been passed that it is now against the law to return theese fish to the water,This paticular fish are prolific breeders and are spreading rapidly throughout the western rivers of New South Wales. They are not good for anything, they are so boney it is impossible to eat them, they are not even good for cat food. I hope one day they can find something to rid the river systems of this introduced menace.
Regards to all Bushman.

First Previous 2 of 2 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Bushman

I'm not much of a fisherman but I have been out a few times.

You are right that carp is an environmental hazard but competition with native fish species such as the Murray Cod.

Did you know that in Europe carp is considered a delicacy?

I had dinner once with my wife and a friend and her husband at a restaurant under the Rathuas (Town Hall) in Hamburg Germany. I once shared a house with this German girl and was visiting her back in her home city. The restaurant has a lot of game foods and also lots of large sailing ship models hanging in the vaults ceilings (Hamburg is an old Port and trading city). I had some wild boar but Peter (my friend's husband) had a huge carp. the carp filled a very large plate. Vegetables on another plate. When he finished the carp, the second half arrived and he ate that too!

Yes they are very bony.

If you want to see a lot of carp check out some swamps eg duck reserves in January/early February when the carp I assume spawn (?)

How to reduce their numbers, i have no idea.

Nitro

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1203

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com