Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Early Rigby .500 BPE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Early Rigby .500 BPE
      #151528 - 23/01/10 06:14 AM

Here is another one from my collection of bubbaed relics: An early Rigby Jones action hammer double in .500 3" BPE. It's got steel barrels, though the ribs are made from damascus. Rigby's once told me their first 500 with steel barrels was made just a couple of numbers earlier for no other than Sir Joseph Whitworth. The nonrebounding backlocks are marked inside by the famous lockmaker Stanton of Wolverhampton. The spurs of the high-rising hammers are very close together. Their half-cock position is, still pinfire style, very high, close to full-cock. This allows cocking both hammers by one motion. The top rib is engraved, faintly visible now, "John Rigby & Co., Dublin & London". The watertable and the barrel flats bear the Rigby trademark only, no proofmarks at all! IMHO it was made when the express cartridges were still experimental and they had not figured out how to proove such things which used charges exceeding the conventional proof charges. It is of very solid construction, weighing 9.4 pounds/4.28kg now. I am tempted sometimes to open up the forcing cones and have it proofed for the modern NE load some day, just to see what happens!
As far as I could put it's history together, it was sold at Rigby's London shop in 1870 to a Mr.Heath. Then it disappeared from sight. Apparently it spent some years in India, where it was used, misused, rusted, scrubbed, restocked, barrels cut to 25", crude makeshift sights installed and rusted again. At least, it surfaced again 1975 at the Bremen customs, where it slipped out of a carpet roll coming from India. The next owner gave it to a retired gunsmith, who disassembled it completely, made a new mainspring and hinge pin, chemically derusted everything and then deceased. My wife really doubted my IQ when I came home one evening in 1988 with several plastic bags full of mysterious parts and my pocket 2000.- Deutsche Mark lighter. As it turned out, the "parts kit" was almost complete, even some "spares" thrown in, just the buttplate missing. I reassembled everything, put on 3-leaf Express rear- and folding night- frontsights, reregulated the barrels and refinished the whole thing.
The guncase I bought some years later in an English country gunshop. I had asked for a simple canvas case, but the owner offered me the old, beat up oak-and-leather one instead. OK, it's a shotgun case, but the old rifle fits in quite nicely.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Edited by CptCurl (23/01/10 11:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Orvar
.300 member

Reged: 31/12/08
Loc: London, UK
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: kuduae]
      #151535 - 23/01/10 06:48 AM

Wow!

Beautiful old gun

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: Orvar]
      #151550 - 23/01/10 08:56 AM

Heh!

What a cool old rifle.
Beat and wrinkled, but still in the fight!!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: tinker]
      #151588 - 23/01/10 11:38 PM

That's a grand old rifle with such an interesting past. If only these antiques could talk!

The absence of proof marks is perplexing. Even a .500 muzzleloader would have been proofed. You should research this further if possible.

Have the ribs been blacked? I don't see the damascus pattern.

Have you taken game with it? There's a certain feeling of satisfaction in taking game with a rifle that first roamed the hunting woods so many years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: CptCurl]
      #151631 - 24/01/10 07:30 AM

CptCurl:
Yes, I have taken several of our German game with it, boar, red deer and roe deer. Sorry, but no tigers or gaur seen at my place recently! The rifle is now regulated for my handload: Horneber .500 3" NE case, 75gr VV N140, foam filler, 445gr Paper patched lead bullet. Keeps them inside 3" at 70m.
Even Paul Roberts had no explanation for the lack of proofmarks, but he had seen other very early Rigby breechloading dr's without them too.So I have no clue yet.
As I told above, the "parts kit" came to me practically in the white, the file-cut top rib worn nearly smooth. As I expected damascus barrels and wanted to learn about the pattern, I first applied damascus browning solution. The barrels showed not a trace of any pattern, but the top and bottom ribs showed a distinct, but simple twist pattern. If you reread Greener or Boothroyd, you see ribmaking was a highly specialized, separate profession in the European guntrade. Apparently the barrelmaker who joined ribs and barrels on working the new-fangled Steel barrels did not bother to have ribs made of the same materiel, but simply used damascus rib blanks he had in stock. As damascus brown does look out of place on homogenous steel, I freshed out the file-cutting on the top rib and then slow rust blacked the thing. As I have done it on some cape-gun barrels for a friend, I can tell you it's a difficult job to first blacken the steel rifle barrel, then polish up and brown the damascus parts without damaging the black. As the pattern would have been nearly invisible on the file-cut top rib anyhow, I did not bother to do this for the narrow bottom rib. IMHO the rifle was finished like this originally.

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #151633 - 24/01/10 07:39 AM

Interesting. Thanks for elaborating. It's a fine rifle for sure.

What velocity do you get out of your N-f-B load?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: CptCurl]
      #151638 - 24/01/10 08:21 AM

You've done a wonderfull job of bringing this 'bag of bones' back to life! Well Done!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: AkMike]
      #151676 - 25/01/10 12:57 AM

Here are two more photos to better show the remaining engraving, an old repair to the right lockplate and the pitting.

As I had no chrono then, I never measured the velocity. Estimated about 1800fps, or, as Rolls-Royce put it when once asked for the HP of their SilverShadow: sufficient!

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (25/01/10 02:49 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #327971 - 02/05/19 01:04 PM

Interesting that I just ran across this 2010 post as I recently acquired an 1872 Rigby .450 Express that is almost a clone of the .500 that started the thread.
I have trouble making out the exact serial number on kuduae’s rifle (135??) but it looks like mine #13856 is about 300 or so numbers higher.

A very close match as to interior action bar details, action face, Jones underlever, fences and top tang....... hammer style is a bit different as they are the flat cut type, mine also has Stanton back action non-rebounding locks but of a “bar action” appearance with exterior action profile to match.
The barrel rib file cut is now mostly smooth, however the script John Rigby & Co. Dublin & London is very well preserved.

An interesting point is that my rifle also has no visible proof marks save for one faint stamping on the left barrel ahead of the flats that looks like a possible London Provisional mark.....that’s it, nothing more.
The watertable and barrel flats have perfectly defined Rigby trademark and serial number stampings.

The steel barrels with very good/excellent bores are Rigby’s style of 8 groove shallow Metford type rifling suited for paper patch bullets. Bore measures out to approximately .454”-.455”with no taper to the bore, and groove measures ~.465”.
Chambered for the .450 3-1/4” Express.

Rifle weighs 9lbs 3oz with 26” barrels and has an older very nicely done barrel reblack and stock refinish with the checkering having been refreshed. Both buttstock and forend are original to the rifle and serial numbered. The case colors may have been redone, but if so it was a long time ago and likely in England from the looks of them. The engraving remains as well defined and sharp as the day it was cut.

Rigby has the records for this one and I am awaiting the information. More photos at a later date.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: 3DogMike]
      #327976 - 03/05/19 01:24 AM

NIce Rigbys. Even though I can find a hammer doublerifle in my safe, I still love to look at others.

Hammer doublerifles in a BPE caliber with jones underlever...Whats not to like?.

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: rigbymauser]
      #327980 - 03/05/19 02:52 AM

What magnificent rifles!! Thanks for posting.....and keep em coming!!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: degoins]
      #327982 - 03/05/19 02:58 AM

I agree, degoins - makes me want to say - screw the investments, I'm going to buy one, just to hold and shoot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: DarylS]
      #327986 - 03/05/19 06:35 AM

Wonderful job there kuduae!
You're a true artisan matey, & getting it to regulate & take some game to boot - Loved the 'Rolls Royce' quote...priceless!
You certainly did some amazing work to get that old girl going again, I think many wouldn't have persisted & left it as a wall hanger.....but chance to own a Rigby for $2ooo - well worth the pain of the wife beating your ears for a month or so!
'Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission' - we're all cheering for you on this one champion!

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: 93x64mm]
      #327997 - 03/05/19 12:58 PM

3 more pictures of Rigby .450 Express #13856

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

kuduae
.400 member

#327998 - 03/05/19 08:18 PM

Quote:

I have trouble making out the exact serial number on kuduae’s rifle (135??) but it looks like mine #13856 is about 300 or so numbers higher.

My 1870 dated .500 BPE Rigby dr is serial number 13580.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #328003 - 04/05/19 12:22 AM

Considering that a D Mark was worth around 57 cents in 1988, the total cash outlay would have been around $1140. Corrected for inflation this would be around $2150 in today's dollars.

degoins
.333 member

Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: DarylS]
      #328009 - 04/05/19 03:02 AM

Hey Daryl, I did that very thing a few months ago on a Henry 450 bpe made 10/11/1894. I'll try take some good pics but I'll have to email them to someone to post for me. It is also a bar action like the O.P's Rigby. It also has an over the comb stock reinforcement which I've never seen on a Henry.

3DogMike
.400 member

#328012 - 04/05/19 04:30 AM

Quote:

Hey Daryl, I did that very thing a few months ago on a Henry 450 bpe made 10/11/1894. I'll try take some good pics but I'll have to email them to someone to post for me. It is also a bar action like the O.P's Rigby. It also has an over the comb stock reinforcement which I've never seen on a Henry.

Looking forward to pictures. Send 2 or 3 of them to me, I can post for you.
Maybe in the Alexander Henry thread instead?

Will PM my email address
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: xausa]
      #328026 - 04/05/19 07:52 AM

Quote:

Considering that a D Mark was worth around 57 cents in 1988, the total cash outlay would have been around $1140. Corrected for inflation this would be around $2150 in today's dollars.

And worth every penny for the blood sweat & tears that followed! I wouldn't even guess at a price of what a piece like that is worth now in a beautifully restored state - but it would be one hell of a lot more now!
A very shrewd investment Kuduae....haven't got any Scottish blood perchance?

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: 93x64mm]
      #328030 - 04/05/19 08:11 AM

3DogMike,,,You STOLE that Rigby!!!!!!!!!!!LOL,,,,

--------------------
Longknife

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: Longknife]
      #328032 - 04/05/19 11:58 AM

Quote:

3DogMike,,,You STOLE that Rigby!!!!!!!!!!!LOL,,,,

You were following the auction I guess
That seller has a spotty reputation but I decided to risk it. Turned out to be a very nice rifle, quite a good job done on restoring/refinishing the original stock and the metal was all in really good shape.
If the weather stays decent I will get to shoot it for groups this coming week.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

OahuKaneohe
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/08
Loc: Hawaii, Oahu, Kaneohe
      #328048 - 05/05/19 04:12 AM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=284608&an=0&page=1#Post284608
Made in 1869 serial 13,310.

Edited by OahuKaneohe (05/05/19 04:18 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: Early Rigby .500 BPE [Re: OahuKaneohe]
      #328054 - 05/05/19 11:44 AM

Quote:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=284608&an=0&page=1#Post284608
Made in 1869 serial 13,310.

Since your original post I have often gone back to your thread to look at that lovely Rigby!
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

degoins
.333 member

#328094 - 07/05/19 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looking forward to pictures. Send 2 or 3 of them to me, I can post for you.
Maybe in the Alexander Henry thread instead?

Will PM my email address
- Mike

Thanks Mike. Sent you a pm.

3DogMike
.400 member

#328100 - 08/05/19 12:08 AM

I have received the certificate from Rigby, interesting info on this nice old rifle.

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16564

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com