Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: German Clamshell in .280 Ross

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DRarchive
.224 member

Reged: 04/04/06
Loc: NitroExpress.com
German Clamshell in .280 Ross
      #114976 - 20/09/08 10:46 PM

A lovely and interesting clamshell actioned double rifle in .280 Ross. Feast your eyes!

A worthy addition to our Archive.

This was found here.

I know of no relationship between the seller and any member of NE.com

--------------------
Double Rifle Archive at NitroExpress.com

PRESERVE YOUR MEMORIES IN PHOTOS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: DRarchive]
      #114979 - 20/09/08 10:58 PM

Damn, I love those clamshell action DR's. I couldn't resist posting that beauty.

Some interesting features I note:

- A straight "English" style stock. Unusual on a German double.

- Beautiful horn trigger guard. Not unusual on a German double, but I don't recall seeing one on a straight grip.

- Spring loaded cover on the cartridge magazine. Unusual.

- A Blitz or "trigger plate" action. Distinctly German. I don't recall seeing a Blitz action in clamshell configuration before this, although that may be my shortcoming. The ones I recall have all been Anson & Deeley.

- The rear claw scope mount would be considered "backward". Note the bite is forward, rather than to the rear of the claws. Before this the only one like that I recall seeing is the one I own. I discussed this with Lee LeBass, an expert on claw mounts. He said he had never seen one set up like this.

- You just have to love the arcaded fences.

- Ejectors are present.

- Note the fold-down rear sight. Made to accommodate the rear aperture sight.

Cool rifle for sure!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #114981 - 20/09/08 11:00 PM

Description from the website:

Quote:

This high quality German Double Rifle was likely made just before WWI and is chambered for the .280 Ross cartridge; it has no makers name on it just the importer, “Edurtreg Co. New York”, it is a clam-shell action and ejector gun with Krupp steel barrels and features beautiful engraving with gold filled scroll on the barrels, a fitted leather travel case with accessories, Dr. Walter Gerard scope in see-thru claw mounts, double set triggers, cocking indicators, English style straight grip stock, spring loaded cartridge trapdoor, a fold down tang peep sight and buffalo horn trigger guard. This rifle has been used but clearly well cared for during the last 90 to 100 years, the bores are excellent, there is some blue wear on the bottom of the barrels and on some high spots and there is light wear to the checkering, the Abercrombie & Fitch labeled leather travel case is likely a later replacement, the Kynoch ammo boxes in the case are empty.

Very nice addition Curl.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: NitroX]
      #114982 - 20/09/08 11:11 PM

Curious, the chamber also. I don't recall seeing a DR in .280 Ross; certainly not a German one. One must wonder why it wasn't chambered for the .280NE if emulating the British chambers. The Germans never did shy away from rimless extraction.

For a German chamber, the 7x57R would have been the candidate. Also the 7x65R or the 7x75R Vom Hofe Super Express would be appropriate, but both those two cartridges came on the scene well after this rifle was made.

Quite an English flair in the chamber, but the rifle is pure German in every other respect. Interesting to say the least!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: CptCurl]
      #114984 - 20/09/08 11:33 PM

I just noticed the cameo of the dog on the bottom of the rifle. That's pretty unusual on a rifle, in my experience. I had an 8x57JR with an engraving of a dog chasing a wild boar, and that's the only other dog I remember on a double rifle. Dale is the fortunate owner of that DR now, and he has featured it on this forum. Here is a link to the engraving on Dale's rifle.

This is altogether different. Just the dog, not engaged in hunting game appropriate to the rifle. The other game scenes are entirely appropriate to the rifle.

Dogs are common on shotguns.

One might think that the rifle was a bespoke item. It raises the suspicion the original owner specified the caliber and also wanted his hunting dog memorialized in the engraving. BUT the maker's name doesn't appear; only the importer. Does that kill the idea of it being a bespoke gun?

It was clearly made for the American market. That in itself makes the chamber a real head-scratcher.

Many riddles here! Cool, cool gun!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#114985 - 20/09/08 11:40 PM

Why in the Sam Black Hell isn't the maker's name on this rifle? That's perplexing in the extreme.

Does anybody recognize my fascination with this rifle???

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #114988 - 20/09/08 11:55 PM

Absolutely masterful rifle! Cpt Curl, you're not the only one fascinated by it. I'd much rather look at it than at posters of Marilyn Monroe.

Thanks for finding pictures of a real treasure!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #114990 - 21/09/08 12:07 AM

Another observation: It's regulated for the classic 154 grain 7mm bullet.

"St.m.G. 10gr."

Here's a neat grams-to-grains conversion engine I just found on the web. Previously I have had to "do the math". Not any more! A lazy man can always find the way out.

Grams-to-grains

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #115000 - 21/09/08 01:53 AM

Could it be that it may have originally been a two barrel set.
This would explain the straight grip and the dog.
Another feature it has is double set triggers which is nice on a small bore rifle.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #115049 - 21/09/08 09:41 PM

All I can say is "WOW". This piece makes me want a DR.

Huvius
.416 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: dons]
      #115054 - 22/09/08 12:05 AM

Quote:

All I can say is "WOW". This piece makes me want a DR.

You didn't already?!?!?
This whole site makes me crave more doubles, Mausers, pistols, and just the other day I picked up a recurve!

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: Huvius]
      #115057 - 22/09/08 01:01 AM

Yeas a lovely rifle indeed. Even with that chambering i would most certan want it.
The stampings would suggest 1893-1912 and the cocking indicator perhaps a Bernhard Merkel. But a picture on the flats of the action would perhaps tell.

Whats the price on it?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Huvius
.416 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: 450_366]
      #115071 - 22/09/08 04:23 AM

A lot of nice features on an interesting gun but $17500!?
The 280 Ross was introduced to England in 1907 (from its Canadian origin)so dating this gun would shed a lot of light on its originality.

--------------------

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: Huvius]
      #115260 - 23/09/08 08:57 PM

Well of course I love it but isn't it a little unusual to have the screw that locks the ejectors in ran down through the forward lug? Just a thought, the scope was possibly a retro job. I can't imagine a gun of that quality and then leaving the spacer section of rib unfinished or engraving the back of the bbls and then covering up most of it. the man who fit the bases might not have acess to different units and had to mount the one he had backwards to allow enough distance for the scope to work.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: dale]
      #115261 - 23/09/08 09:01 PM

Oh I definitely think the scope is later than the original build. Probably from the '20's.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #115264 - 23/09/08 09:21 PM

Based on Dale's observations about the engraving, the horn trigger guard may also have been a later addition. But still one hell of a fine looking rifle, one of the best I've seen.

JeffFive
.224 member

Reged: 14/06/08
Loc: Tennessee
      #116562 - 09/10/08 05:47 PM

What are the letters on the top lever?? A monogram??

Beautiful rifle.

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: JeffFive]
      #116894 - 14/10/08 09:55 AM

That is a real sharp DG.I have weakness for the German shotguns so a rifle like that with the straight grip,bullet trap and schnable forend really looks sleek and top shelf is easy to fall for.Great gun and congrats to Dale for pulling the trigger on it.

dale
.333 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: nhdblfan]
      #116913 - 14/10/08 03:23 PM

Hey Dave,

It's not mine, I only lust for it. :^)

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
      #116967 - 15/10/08 09:27 AM

Dale,
sorry for confusion,
I wish I owned it too and lust is the right word !

dale
.333 member

Re: German Clamshell in .280 Ross [Re: nhdblfan]
      #117423 - 22/10/08 05:29 PM

Hi All,

I just found out one of my friends is the new owner of this fine rifle and he just joined the forum and has promised to post some more pictures and information about it. Just a hint, it only gets better.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#117433 - 22/10/08 09:53 PM

Congratulations to your friend. Get some more information soon!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

dale
.333 member

#121909 - 22/12/08 07:34 PM

Just an update, Even with the help of Cpt. Curl and NitroX my friend is still having computer problems and can't post here yet but promises to get it sorted out after the holidays and promises pictures and more written word.

dale
.333 member

#123577 - 10/01/09 10:21 AM

A few new photos from the owner who will fill in the details

Edited by CptCurl (14/12/09 10:48 PM)

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #123614 - 10/01/09 03:48 PM

Hello NE folks,

Yes, getting signed up with NE took a bit but with help from Dale and NitroX the issue is finally resolved. I've read quite a few of the threads and it's all quite interesting as well as entertaining. I'm looking forward to being a contributing member.

On to what I can tell you thus far about the .280 Ross SXS. I've read what several have said in the replies to Dale’s initial posting and many of them had me looking a little closer at my purchase, thank you. With regard to clamshells in general I've ran into a few folks that think clamshells or muzzelverschluss receivers are clumsy looking and not very attractive but I find them interesting and a variation in double rifle receivers that a collector should have at least one of. For one they are what could be considered an extreme means of reinforcing a receiver to handle heavier loads and because of the additional work, better yet, craftsmanship involved in producing and fitting them. Both I can say with a smile are examples of what I've heard many times to be typical of manufacturing in Germany. OK, I'm half German so maybe there is a little personal bias. After searching for a "high-end" clamshell for at least three years this one hooked me big time. Let's say there was very little hesitation in deciding if I wanted it or not.

As many of you have already seen the pictures that Dale posted some time ago you have no doubt noticed many of the same features that attracted me to the piece. The .280 Ross round and rifle is a story in itself, but let’s pass on that for now. The "English" straight grip along with the other bells and whistles that came with it all played a part in getting me to make the call to the dealer. What came as a pleasant surprise when I received the gun was the inlay work that didn't show up in the dealers pictures. The person that did the inlay work used what looks to be platinum and yellow gold. The pictures that Dale posted recently show the gold inlay bordering the game scenes on the side panels of the receiver. I'll be trying to get some better pictures when I set up some better lighting but hopefully you can make it out. The dog on the underside of the receiver and the boar on the bullet trap are also bordered in yellow gold. Better lighting will show that in addition to the oval borders immediately around the dog and boar the inlay continues above and below in the border pattern prior to going into the vine and leaf work. The front sight bead is yellow gold and the folding rear sight has a triangular platinum inlay pointing to the sight groove. If you look closely at the text on the top rib "BEST GERMAN QUALITY ... EDUARTREG CO., NEW YORK" (in the first set of pictures) you might be able to see (I didn't the first time around) that the first letter in each word is yellow gold and the rest are platinum. The “M” in the inlay on the top lever is yellow gold and the “R” is platinum. The postal scale that I've used to weigh guns broke recently so for the moment I don't know what this thing weighs. I can tell you that it's heavier than it looks. A few other details that you may not already know is the LOP is 14 7/8", which surprised me a bit, and the chopper lump barrels are 26 3/8" long. As this is an ejector gun chambered for the .280 Ross “semi-rimmed” cartridge and not a .280 Flanged the ejectors include the little spring-loaded hooks to catch what rim the .280 Ross has. The ejectors work really well by the way. Next time I try them out I’ll have to take note of how far they launch the brass. One other thing that's kind of neat is the out of the ordinary engraving on the end of the muzzle. It's a scroll design that goes around both barrel ends and converges in the filler block between the barrels instead of the more typical cross-hatching pattern.

That's all I can think of for now with regard to details. Additional pictures will say the rest. Since acquiring this piece I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to find out who the manufacturer was and who may have ordered the piece. I think I’m on to the manufacturer but I’m waiting for a confirmation from some fellow members of the GGCA (German Gun Collectors Association). Yes, if you collect German sporting arms you must join. I have Lee Precision making a set of dies for me and I have purchased quite a selection of bullets. Besides picking up a couple of boxes of Hawk 160 grain bullets and a couple bags of Horneber brass (head-stamped .280 Ross), I have acquired boxes of old WRA soft-points and hollow-points in 150 grain and 143 grain. As it was observed earlier the barrels were regulated using 154 grain jacket bullets (St.m.G./Stahl Mantel Geschoss - steel jacketed bullets) so we'll have to see what works best with what load.

Regards,

Mark (Marcus)

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 27876

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com