Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: John Rigby 400/350 SLE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Rigby 400/350 SLE
      #103331 - 24/04/08 02:03 AM

Gun is currently available at WLM.

JOHN RIGBY, SXS, SLE Double Rifle, .400/.350 NE, 25'', DT, Pistol Grip, Splinter Forearm, 1/4 rib, Fine Scroll Engraving, Casehardened Receiver, Factory mounted German scope in QD mounts, Rising bite action, Lever type forearm release, swivels, safety with security catch, Checkered steel buttplate. $27,900.00

http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/Arrivals.htm

PM me if you need a condition report on this piece.

Edited by DRarchive (30/07/08 11:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: ]
      #103333 - 24/04/08 02:37 AM

Looks ridden very hard and put away wet. Am I wrong?

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: dnovo]
      #103336 - 24/04/08 03:32 AM

I had this one shipped in a few weeks back and passed on it. The gun has been used quite a bit.

bwanakim
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: 470evans]
      #103361 - 24/04/08 07:04 AM

470 evans: Did you get a look at any of the inside? From the outside, it looks used all right--used up! Man, $27,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
bwanakim

Anonymous
Unregistered

#103369 - 24/04/08 07:41 AM

Nope your not wrong, it does show honest wear from almost a century of use, but it's shootable, and pretty fairly priced given this crazy market. There obviously looking for $25k out of it. A full re-do and possibly a re-bore down the road and you would have a very rare new condition gun. I have redone a bunch of these over the years, they are looooong costly projects but in the end I am always astonished how they turn out. It is a rising bite made at the peak of African splendor by the best double rifle maker that ever lived. So it has that going for it..

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #103374 - 24/04/08 07:54 AM

He's right. I spoke to David about the gun, and he has generally been fairly straight up about condition. He described it as an original, non-messed with Rising Bite with some blue wear, usage, but intact. We didn't get into mechanicals, but I am sure a good smith could check it out easily.

I also agree with Death that an honest, intact Rising Bite has an inherent value that even a simple reblue and clean up would give you a sold shooter and a sold 'investment' if that is what is important to you. At 25k it is well worth it and, say it slowly, it is a R-I-S-I-N-G B-I-T-E R-I-G-B-Y and it is a non-modified gun.

There are a lot of boxlocks and even sidelocks from a lot of good makers, the Rising Bites are unique. They are also far more rare than the other 'unique' DR, the detachable or droplock WRs. How many Rising Bites on the market other than this one?

Not over priced, honestly described, capable of being made really nice for not a bunch or worth it as is (assuming good mechanical aspects) and one that can be shot and enjoyed for years.

I'd buy this even at 27 before I'd shell out 50 for the 700 'Wilkes' Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (24/04/08 07:55 AM)

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
      #103392 - 24/04/08 12:39 PM

I like it alot.....those are some classy lines. It could hang out at my house any day.
Steve

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

starwars
.275 member

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: California
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: bwanakim]
      #103395 - 24/04/08 01:10 PM

bwanakim- I know condition is key but these are so hard to come by in any condition really. The price is very fair, maybe the least expensive rifle in rising bite I have seen in years. I am calling in the morning and see if she can come my way.

--------------------
Richard

starwars
.275 member

#103396 - 24/04/08 01:11 PM

Quote:

I'd buy this even at 27 before I'd shell out 50 for the 700 'Wilkes' Dave

Me to! A 700 nitro is about as practical as an asshole on your elbow.

--------------------
Richard

bwanakim
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: starwars]
      #103486 - 25/04/08 11:27 AM

You might want to check with George Caswell. He had a 400/350 rising bite Rigby at the Dallas Safari Club. He had had it quite a bit of time and took it off the web site. He had a number of double rifles that weren't on his web site. I asked him why and he blamed "bloggers." I took it he meant sites such as this. He told me bloggers drive up prices, but cynic that I am, I really think he doesn't want them exposed to discussion. The pool of these pieces is so small that many of these have been around the block and people here know of them and can help out a potential pigeon. I know you all have helped me!

I owned a beautiful 32/40 boxlock Boswell, and sold it through George in Jan. 07. He had it for sale again in Dallas at $13,000. I had gotten it from Fred Roberts in Australia in 2002. He had several others that were nice, but I don't remember the details. Last time I spoke to him that very nice Lang 450/400 3 1/4 inch boxlock that is pictured on the Photos Forum was for sale. This was about two weeks ago. Apparently, you have to call him to get a current list. Why he leaves some on his site, I can't say, but most of what he has on the site is getting stale. Interesting!

--------------------
bwanakim

starwars
.275 member

#103494 - 25/04/08 12:58 PM

Quote:

You might want to check with George Caswell. He had a 400/350 rising bite Rigby at the Dallas Safari Club. He had had it quite a bit of time and took it off the web site. He had a number of double rifles that weren't on his web site. I asked him why and he blamed "bloggers." I took it he meant sites such as this. He told me bloggers drive up prices, but cynic that I am, I really think he doesn't want them exposed to discussion. The pool of these pieces is so small that many of these have been around the block and people here know of them and can help out a potential pigeon. I know you all have helped me! Interesting!

bwanakim- Caswell is a real character I dont believe he keeps anything off his list he's way to greedy for a move like that. Also saying bloggers drive up the price of doubles is about the funniest thing I have ever heard! The complete opposite is true a-n-d IT ALSO HELPS TO GET THEM SOLD. I think you hit it right on the nose when you said, "I really think he doesn't want them exposed to discussion. The pool of these pieces is so small that many of these have been around the block and people here know of them and can help out a potential pigeon". He's also a notorious bad mouther of others including hunters and dealers. My wife and I about fell over when he commented on a few of our close friends in the hunting world like they were vermin. Just my thoughts and personal experience.

--------------------
Richard

Anonymous
Unregistered

#103527 - 26/04/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

You might want to check with George Caswell. He had a 400/350 rising bite Rigby at the Dallas Safari Club. He had had it quite a bit of time and took it off the web site. He had a number of double rifles that weren't on his web site. I asked him why and he blamed "bloggers." I took it he meant sites such as this. He told me bloggers drive up prices, but cynic that I am, I really think he doesn't want them exposed to discussion. The pool of these pieces is so small that many of these have been around the block and people here know of them and can help out a potential pigeon. I know you all have helped me!

Kim,

He said "bloggers drive up prices"? G.C. sounds a tad out of touch, to put it mildly then. Clearly he doesn't want those guns discussed, which tells me to pull the brake cord. Sites like this one are an invaluable source of knowledge, and information for folks that know little of the trade. Also, with all the baby boomer's retiring, many are getting in to fine guns, but have little or no background with such guns. A dealers dream come true...

Richard,

Thank you for the insight.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #103529 - 26/04/08 01:38 AM

Everyone talks about Condition, but I'd take a good, honest, well used Rigby R3B over most other guns any day of the week.

I have the same gun as above which is now 375 Flanged Magnum.

That gun would clean up very nicely on the outside without too much work IMHO.

If it shoots OK, the likely hood of any of us wearing it out
to the point of needing a rebore is not very high.

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: 500Nitro]
      #103604 - 26/04/08 10:32 PM

That is a neat rifle. It appears from the pic that the stock has been broken and repaired at the wrist. Although I'm sure it will function for the time being, a full restock should probably be figured in which is quite a bit more than a quick clean and polish.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: John Rigby 400/350 SLE [Re: A10ACN]
      #103606 - 26/04/08 10:48 PM

A10ACN

Where do you think it's been broken at the wrist and repaired ?

If your talking the 2 lines in the second photo just to the RHS of the safety catch, I think they are scratches.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7777

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com