Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First Double - and a Hello

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Daman
.224 member

Reged: 29/11/11
Loc: Southeast USA
First Double - and a Hello
      07/01/12 10:26 AM

Guys

I have been lurking for about a year now mulling over all your posts concerning doubles and looking at all you pictures. All I can say is wow!!!!! There are some FINE rifles here! I have got the okay from the wife to start searching for my double rifle or drilling (I want both) and decided to start posting to gain some ideas and advice. First let me give a brief narrative about what has drawn me to doubles.

I grew up hunting with a BAR 30-06 from the time I was old enough to hold a gun and have killed more than my fair share of hogs and deer with that rifle. Over the years as I inherited guns from family estates and purchased even more guns, I have come to appreciate the value of a quality rifle. From custom Mausers to bespoke double barrel shotguns - I have them in my safe. What I lack and have always wanted since first opening a Ruark book is a combination gun. It just stirs my soul to hold a drilling or a double rifle. I have intended to buy one since I was sixteen, but I have always found something else to spend money on (ie. the necessary things to get established as a family with my wife). Well I just got a job with a consulting firm as a project manager and the pay is substantially more than I was used to and the bonuses are freely bestowed. Therefore, I am finally in position to begin the search for my first combination gun.

For this, I have decided on a double rifle with a set of shotgun barrels. I have been in contact with Ken at Kebco and intend to meet him next year in Reno or Dallas at the conventions. I intend to shop at least two years to get a good feel for the market and get to handle and shoot multiple makers rifles. I may jump on a good deal if Ken gets one or if JJ at Champlins gets a gun that is too good to pass up.

I have decided to go with a 9.3X74R for the rifle barrels with a set of 20 gauge barrels also. I think that should cover me for all North American game and everything I will hunt in Africa or Australia. I can't afford to hunt elephant or lion - period so I have no need for a 470 NE right now.

So far I really like the Verney Carron offerings and the Chapuis rifles. I may have a talk with Butch Searcy if he isn't priced out of range by the time I get ready to buy. My budget is going to be about $18k for scope and all. The scope will be a Leupold VX-3 or a Swarovski Z6 1-6X24 EE depending on how much the rifle costs. I have discussed this with Ken and he sounded like he could fix me up.

Don't get me wrong guys I love the old Westley Richards, Hollands, and Purdeys - I just don't know jack about double rifles. I want to go with a new one with a warranty that is regulated with factory ammo that I can match handloads to. The only way I could even think to buy a prewar double is if JJ or some one like that could look it over and shoot it to give it the okay.

Thanks for letting me ramble. I will be hanging out here gleaning information and posting questions as they arise. I would appreciate any comments.

Daman

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* First Double - and a Hello Daman 07/01/12 10:26 AM
. * * Re: First Double - and a Hello ruffcountry   07/01/12 12:32 PM
. * * Re: First Double - and a Hello mickey   07/01/12 04:26 PM
. * * Re: First Double - and a Hello Mike_Bailey   07/01/12 07:57 PM
. * * Re: First Double - and a Hello paradox   08/01/12 08:48 AM
. * * Re: First Double - and a Hello Daman   10/01/12 03:28 AM
. * * Re: First Double - and a Hello tophet1   07/01/12 12:27 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3887

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com