Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT-HUNTING vs SHOOTING

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT-HUNTING vs SHOOTING
      18/05/06 08:40 PM

I love my Double and am somewhat biased about its utility.

I love its balance and its ability to HUNT vs other rifles-enable 2 accurate rapid sequential shots to harvest the animal sought but I do not consider it especially accurate.True hunting is the culmination of man the ultimate preditor thinking with game tracking, positioning self downwind and closure tactics and should not dependent on extreme accuracy. The purest demand for the DR is obvious in the hunting of DG when ones life is on the line.Accuracy needed is "minute of buffalo" and 2" 50 yard groups are satisfactory. Big Bore rapid firepower is essential to stop a true charge. No rifle substitute is acceptable here- no light caliber rapid shooting hunting semiautomatic, no heavy caliber super accurate slow cycling bolt. The Double reigns when HUNTING and life and limb are on the line. QED

Does the Double have limitations? Of course!! The requirement to regulate 2 barrels for a single bullet weight at a specific distance limits its flexibility for long range SHOOTING, an ?American passion.Scoped bolt guns and other single barrel types can shoot many different weights from that same barrel at extended distances with MOA accuracy. Personally I do not cansider shooting at distance true 'hunting". I seperate SHOOTING from HUNTING as the former doesn't neccesarily involve the skills of the later and can be done at 400-500 yard ranges with certain cailbers/optics/custom reticles.

Do I like harvesting animals at long distance? YUP, it is a blast; a technical challenge and extremely satisfying to harvest an animal a quarter of a mile away. If the wind isn't right-no shot. If the downward/upward angle is misjudged you miss.If the distance is misjudged you miss!! Would I reach for a Double if I really wanted to make such a hit? Nope

I think Doubles to be the best rifle for DG HUNTING where less accuracy may be required but feel they have definite limitations for long range SHOOTING.That's a bolt rifle affair.

I gotta have both!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT-HUNTING vs SHOOTING hoppdoc 18/05/06 08:40 PM
. * * Re: DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT-HUNTING vs SHOOTING WildCattle   18/05/06 11:34 PM
. * * Re: DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT-HUNTING vs SHOOTING DUGABOY1   19/05/06 10:33 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1646

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com