Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser S2?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Daniel
.224 member

Reged: 14/12/20
Loc: MI
Blaser S2?
      #347936 - 15/12/20 05:06 AM

Greetings, this is my 1st post here. If anyone cares to share their thoughts on Blaser's S2. In the interest of a 500 N.E that's available. I'm somewhat versed on doubles as I've spent time talking to various manufacturers & hunter's alike. They are affordable and some prefer, or have great success with their S2 respectively .. I'm not familiar with a Rising bite if this is what Blaser uses?

None the less, Thank You for any insight.
Regards, Dan.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Blaser S2? [Re: Daniel]
      #347939 - 15/12/20 05:12 AM

Welcome, Dan. Can't help with your question, but can welcome you to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here & get answers to your queries.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Daniel
.224 member

Re: Blaser S2? [Re: DarylS]
      #347943 - 15/12/20 06:23 AM

Thank You Daryl, My privilege!

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #347979 - 16/12/20 04:12 AM

Hi Daniel:

Welcome aboard!!!

My first double was an S2 in .470 NE. There are serious design shortcomings with these rifles and given that they are priced somewhere around the price of a traditional double, e.g. Merkel, you are far better taking a pass on the S2 and making an alternate choice.

The Blaser uses a tilting block. It is an absolutely strong design, however, it necessitates the use of a “hood” extending off the top of the barrels so the tilting bloc can lock into the barrels. This “hood” results in very slow loading because it obscures the easy access to the chambers.

The S2 does not come with ejectors..... only extractors..... This is a preference thing but most people want ejectors.

The S2 “safety” is a decocker, so when the rifle is broken open for reloading, one must recock the rifle every time before shooting. If you need to reload really quickly in the heat of the moment, you don't need the aggravation of having to push a heavy recocker forward. Most would argue that even a normal safety should not be an auto safety so one doesnt need to worry about it after a hasty reload.

Those are the major design shortcomings.

The next thing you may wish to consider is that they only can be adjusted for horizontal spread, and at least in my experience vertical spread can only be adjusted with a deft hand and a 2 pound ball peen hammer to get them to properly regulate.

I no longer own this rifle. I was fortunate enough to trade it in for a traditional double rifle of reasonable quality. For double rifles, there is no free ride and there are no short cuts to getting a good rifle.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Blaser S2? [Re: Postman]
      #347999 - 16/12/20 11:43 PM

A decocker IMO is not a negative. Allows one to carry a loaded rifle for extended periods of time more safely. Cocking the barrels only when the need to shoot is more likely.

An excellent feature for a PH who may carry a rifle a lot but not shoot it much. Carry a double rifle with nothing in the chambers is just like carrying two water pipes. Useless.

An automatic safety is a big negative. If everytime the rifle is opened the safety comes on , forget about it. My Jeffery did this and I had it modified.

I am fine with extractors on a big bore double rifle.

One of our early members had a Blaser S2. He could never get it to shoot at all adequately and sold it off.

Blaser stopped making the S2 because they are crap and not worth buying. I think there design looks are off as well.

If something breaks on them and needs repair, can they be repaired?

If I was buying one, I would MAKE SURE it shoots to regulation before committing. One of the common faults as said is they won't shoot to regulation.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348000 - 16/12/20 11:45 PM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with a Rising bite if this is what Blaser uses?

No they don't use it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Blaser S2? [Re: NitroX]
      #348023 - 17/12/20 06:00 AM

Agree that a decocker is a nice safe feature. The only problem is that every time the Blaser rifle is broken open, it decocks itself, so it must be recocked after every reload. This in my opinion is 100 times worse than an auto safety. It functions the same, but the decocker adds several pounds in extra push effort requIred to take it off safe/recock the rifle. My understanding is that unlike the Blaser, the Kreighoff decocker does not decock the rifle when breaking open to reload. Carrying decocked with a decocker is goodness. Reloading under pressure in the heat of the moment, a decocker that functions like a Blaser is a curse worse than contracting an embarrassing STD and it could be fatal under certain circumstances.

After gathering up my 2 pound ball peen hammer and applying a few good well thought out swats to bend the brass barrel yoke at the muzzle, the damned thing was about as perfectly regulated as one could get with any double. You just have to trust in your metal work skills, take a deep breath, and bash your rifle’s muzzle correctly.

One final point I’d make about the S2 is that Blaser asked a very hefty price for a double rifle that required no work at the factory to regulate. One peels back the rubber “ribs” between the barrels and adjusts horizontal regulation by adjusting a wedge between the barrels. There is on way to adjust vertical regulation without a hammer and some taught nerves - of note, the regulation process is a big part of why double rifles command very high prices and Blaser did nothing other than assemble a rifle with two barrels stuck into a brass yoke at the muzzle to hold them together, and lay a rubber strip between them to fill the gap that would normally be filled by some fine fitting and metal work to lay in and solder steel ribs in place.

So, Blaser being the capitalist they are, wanted to cash in on the cash cow of the $10k entry level big bore retail prices without committing to the tedious and very costly work that goes into making a double rifle in the traditional way...... they went the route of throwing lipstick on a pig and calling it good - I’m trying to be kind with my last comment.

Edited by Postman (17/12/20 06:19 AM)

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Blaser S2? [Re: Postman]
      #348031 - 17/12/20 07:14 AM

Daniel,
You asked your questions on just the right forum and you received some straight answers - period!

I have hunted with Parker double guns for going on 70 years and custom made double rifles for 15 years and I agree with most of the above. Personally, such crap as a de-cocker has no place on a quality firearm, shotgun or rifle. I de-cock my doubles with snap caps at the end of a hunt. A properly made and maintained rifle works as it should- another period!

Continue to shop carefully and you will likely be pleased with your purchase.

For an informative read, I suggest the Cal Pappas book, "The Double Rifle Primer" .

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Blaser S2? [Re: crshelton]
      #348100 - 19/12/20 01:58 AM

Hi Daniel, no comments? I know the comments were direct and harsh.

There are some other cheapish brands I would consider ANYDAY before a Blaser. Have a look on the double rifle forums, they will have been talked about.

Nothing cheap though is not without some sort of "cost" or potential "cost".

A lot of us do also have cheaper DRs. As well as "name" DRs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #348118 - 19/12/20 11:52 AM

Most of the guys at the BGRC use Chapuis Double Rifles for lots of shooting if they are using a new one. They are well priced and seem to be very accurate and reliable, now owned by Beretta. Thousands of rounds get shot out of them every year.

I have just purchased my first DR which is a Chapuis UGEX. Still waiting for it to arrive but that should be soon.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Blaser S2? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #348135 - 19/12/20 06:41 PM

The plain model Merkels are also fine shooting rifles, and often good value second hand. Decent value new as well.

I was thinking of some of the cheaper Italian brands, which can start at reasonable prices. SOME have had trouble in the past, brain fade at the moment, so I forget the brand! But members have also had some that were fine. I would potential chance one of these.

As for prices, I have lost touch with the market? Some of the prices asked for I see on auction/selling sites look way high to me, but maybe they have appreciated again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348137 - 19/12/20 06:54 PM

Brain fade over. I was thinking of Sabattis. Potentially some issues with regulation or lack of it. Check the muzzles for "grinding" to attempt some sort of regulation. Some owners have had worthwhile rifles, so maybe a bit of a lottery.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348138 - 19/12/20 06:55 PM

Fausti is another maker I would look at. I have no experience of them. Nor know of many people commenting on one of their own.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348139 - 19/12/20 06:58 PM

As said earlier, Chapuis is a brand offering lower prices. Most owners seem to have favourable results. One of our members did not and had reported allegerd trouble with "after sales service". I don't know how that ended up and any resolution.

I have visited the Chapuis factory.

I would readily consider a Chapuis, ut I don't like some parts of its styling such as the somewhat beavertail forends. At the price that may not matter!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#348140 - 19/12/20 07:02 PM

I have a Tikka/Valmet 512 U/O double rifle barrels in 9.3x74R and .30-06. A Valmet is usually say $2000 to $3000 on the second hand market and depending on how may barrels. Could be lower than that. One has to find one though, they do come up.

A custom barrelled Valmet 412 (same as the Tikka 512 more or less or Finnclassic) was last month on a US selling site for $5000 with custom .450/400 barrels. A NE fb member enquired about it and may have bought it. I know it made me very interested in making a barrel set similar one day.

A 9.3x74R, the usual maximum for non custom barrels is not a .500 or .470, but still a very worthwhile medium calibre DR. And for say $1500 all up, damned good value.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Daniel
.224 member

#348147 - 20/12/20 02:32 AM

Thank You! ... There really is no easy way around a Reliable, accurate, & functioning double that still holds some residual value after research. The S2 is out, particularly after reading the above as some claimed they really liked its functionality, accuracy, wouldn't shoot loose, etc. None the less, manual re cocking, a hood that extends over the breech without ejectors is a bust. A Merkel was considered but let go as well. Chris @ Heym spent a great deal of time with me going over the basics and was a wealth of information!

Idk if anyone is versed with VC's, as their beautiful builds undoubtedly but that maybe another thread all together. What's difficult, is not seeing/shouldering these in person before considering investing a great deal of cost.

Thank You. Regards, Dan.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #348163 - 20/12/20 07:23 AM

John, I believe after sales service was a bit average before being owned by Beretta but now is much better and handled by Beretta anyway.

The beavertail forends are not my cup of tea generally anyway but on the Chapuis they are quite good. Also means you don't have to wear a glove if you are using one in a rapid fire event.

The only real issue with them when you buy new is that they don't come with a decent recoil pad, just a checkered but plate, so you have to allow for the fitting of a recoil pad if you want to shoot them a lot.

Since Beretta now own them their price has come down. I paid AUD $8200 for mine new.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2051

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com