Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .470 brass life?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Eric
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
.470 brass life?
      #161906 - 11/06/10 08:17 AM

I'm shooting a Chapuis .470 and having a lot of fun with it. My question concern's brass life. I am using Jamison or Hornady brass and when resized with my Redding die set. I'm getting no lengthening of the brass. One or two out of twenty are just barely touched by the trimmer blades. Am I right in assuming that since there is no stretching of the brass, no metal is being moved forward from the base of the case. With the pressure involved (Reloader 15 at 87 to 88 grains and 500gr Woodleighs or Horndays) If I anneal the brass every three or four shots, I'm wondering how long the cases might last. How many reloads are you guy's getting on your brass? For those of you that are thinking about a .470 double, the Chapuis is really worth a look. Very nice gun and it does not have an automatic safety. You are in control and when reloaded, it's ready to go without taking the safety off again. Weight is nice and it's just a bit muzzle heavy. I do like this big brute!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: .470 brass life? [Re: Eric]
      #161914 - 11/06/10 11:25 AM

Eric,
The .470 can give very good case life so long as the brass has reasonable thickness where it counts, just forward of the webb.
Norma brass has pretty well always been thin in that respect.
I'm not sure what case life is like with Hornady and Jamison brass as I haven't used either.
I shoot Bell and Bertram cases and they last for many reloads in my Belgian .470. The Bertram stuff is very thick down at the base end, and I've never seperated any of these in .470.

The other important consideration with case life is how much resizing is being done during reloading.
If the dies are set up properly in the press, and are a fairly good match to your chambers, you should be able to get good case life in the very low pressure .470NE.

Eric
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: .470 brass life? [Re: 4seventy]
      #161915 - 11/06/10 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply, Chambers in the Chapuis seem to be very nice, brass needs very little resizing and only leaves a bit of a ring at the base where it is brought back down to specs. I did think I'd get a bit of lengthening after several reloads. This rifle seems to be very good on brass.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2484

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com