Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What kind of scope for my sxs DR?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
What kind of scope for my sxs DR?
      #125095 - 25/01/09 04:06 PM

I have an Antonio Zoli Savana E DR with normal rib, pistol grip stock with cheek piece in caliber 9.3x74R.

Although I will eventually make it to Africa with this rifle, for now, I will use it to hunt deer and moose in forested terrain, as well as from my tree stands.

My eyes are getting older and the iron sights on this DR are not to my liking therefore, I am going to scope this rifle.

I have purchased bases and QD rings from Dave Talley. As far as a scope, I am looking at an intermediate eye relief scope. The rear of the scope would sit just forward of the point were the barrel breaks.

I have an older Leupold M8 2x IER scope that would work for the above application. The nice thing about the IER is sight acquisition is quick when shouldered. The eye relief is approximately 9 inches.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, opinions, options regarding the above? I am not locked into the Leupold IER.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: What kind of scope for my sxs DR? [Re: carpediem4570]
      #125111 - 25/01/09 10:02 PM

How can you fit the Talley bases to the rib section of your O/U rifle? I would think a claw mount is the only option.

Visually, I don't think a scope mounted that far forward on a double rifle would look right. I would look at something like a Leupold VX-III in 1.75-6x32. It's lightweight, will sit low, still somewhat compact, and is a very durable scope.

--------------------

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: What kind of scope for my sxs DR? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #125160 - 26/01/09 10:06 AM

I should have mentioned that my double rifle is a sxs.

I currently have a Leupold M8 2x scope and when I put it on the rib with rubber bands, the rear scope bell is alligned with the breach face of the gun. I can still mount it further forward but it looks really good being flush with thebreach face; and the plus is no scope to interfere with loading.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #125165 - 26/01/09 12:43 PM

Carp.......

I have the same gun as you with a scope on it.

I think the mount was made here.

They can be scoped, all the O/U and SxS DR's out now have been scoped in some form or other by a dealer here.

I will try to get a picture of mine.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: What kind of scope for my sxs DR? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #127265 - 16/02/09 01:32 PM

Sorry for the lengthy delay in replying. My wife and I were on vacation in Mexico:) Nice to be back to snow and minus 20 c

I would love to see a photo of the mount on your double.

Will mounting a scope on the double affect the point of impact?

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
      #127356 - 17/02/09 01:49 PM

I have Leupold Vari-X III scopes on three of my double rifles. For the price, I don't think that you can beat them, and they have that classic look about them on a S x S double. Lot's of latitude in eye relief as well, though certainly NOT an IER.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: What kind of scope for my sxs DR? [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #127735 - 22/02/09 05:47 PM

OK, I took the plunge today and took my DR, Leupold M8 2x scope and Talley bases and rings to my gunsmith. With luck, it will be back in my hands in two months. When I get it back I will post pics.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2743

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com