Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about
      #127993 - 25/02/09 08:35 AM

Double Guns/rifles are cocked by a lever, assisted by barrels falling/closing (increasing length of that lever by barrels), by lever on action, mostly underlever (operated by hand, with no assist from barrels), OR by spring power cocking. Beesley invented two systems for self cocking, spring cocking, and added assisted opening as well to these actions. One of these two spring powered self cocking systems he sold to Purdey; the other he himself used on his guns, as did other gun makers, mostly Lancaster, and it became known as the "wrist breaker" action, because it took so much force to close the barrels on action, though otherwise the system worked well. I BELIEVE that the "wrist breaker" title is more appropriate to shotguns, having more lightweight barrels than rifles, THUS HARDER TO FULLY CLOSE. I believe that the heavier weight of rifle barrels would make the title "wrist breaker" less applicable. IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE GUNS/RIFLES, PLEASE COMMENT ON THE WRIST BREAKER TITLE, IS IT REALLY ALL THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM IN CLOSING SHOTGUNS---HOW ABOUT HEAVIER WEIGHT RIFLE BARRELS?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #127995 - 25/02/09 09:05 AM

They are fine, if you can't use one, you'll never use a Purdey shotgun.

yes, they are harder to use than a normal DR but the hype is more than the reality IMHO.

I had a Charles Lancaster Sidelock 450/400 that is now owned by someone on the forum - it is in the US.

He loves it, has used it in Africa on Lion, Buff and Elephant
so it can't be that hard to use.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about [Re: 500Nitro]
      #128008 - 25/02/09 12:10 PM

Not quite on topic, but to funny to me to not pass along. I was handling a Purdey one day, at an event where Purdey was represented at Griffin and Howe, and I expressed reservations regarding closing a Purdey (Beesley self opener) action to a Purdey rep. His comment was a treat, "Our clients do not close their own guns..."

I got a hoot out of it.

JPK

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #128091 - 26/02/09 09:09 AM

Thank you for the comments; they pretty much reflect my thoughts on the matter, though I never really had a wrist breaker to play with YET. DON'T OVERLOOK, THOUGH, THAT THE "WRIST BREAKER" TITLE WAS GAINED FROM THE 2ND INVENTION, USED MOSTLY BY LANCASTER; NOT FROM THE FIRST SELF CLOSER INVENTION SOLD TO AND USED BY PURDEY. So, it would be great to know just how much difference there is in closing force necessary to close a Purdey, compared to the "true" "wrist breaker" Lancaster self closer? Also, more importantly, how much difference is there in force needed to close this "wrist breaker" Lancaster, as gun compared to heavier barrel rifle?

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
      #128140 - 26/02/09 06:35 PM

I've owned two Lancaster sidelocks. Once you get the knack it's easy enough but it does take a little extra movement.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about [Re: casper50]
      #128143 - 26/02/09 07:03 PM

Wrist breaker is slightly more / harder than the Purdey.

I own both.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2409

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com