Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby .470

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Rigby .470
      #95241 - 27/01/08 02:44 AM

For all you guys whimpering for a nice Webley in a DG caliber here's a Rigby .470NE on a Webley A&W C with intercepting sears. Dunno if it has ejectors, but my guess is yes.

Have at it, boys!

Rigby .470NE at Puglisi's

Curl

Correction: The description says it does have ejectors.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Edited by CptCurl (28/01/08 12:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby .470 [Re: CptCurl]
      #95250 - 27/01/08 05:38 AM

Curl,

This gun was at Westley Richards for months at $34,000.00 it was offered to me for $30k and I passed. Jack Puglisi bought it and "jacked" the price to $49,000.00 which is total crap imo. I guess he thinks the market is stupid, and doesn't use the internet. Typical greedy dealer move, as the gun is only worth $25k-$27k tops. Can you say highway robbery?

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Rigby .470 [Re: ]
      #95268 - 27/01/08 12:45 PM

I'm constantly amazed at the acumen of savvy buyers, even for high-end goodies. I think the days of window shopping for double guns at the gun rooms is all but over, unless you have more money than sense. There is an upwardly trend for British doubles but this is nuts, and everyone knows it.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Rigby .470 [Re: bonanza]
      #95271 - 27/01/08 03:36 PM

Let's hope it continues for a few more years. I still have some to sell down the road.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#95281 - 28/01/08 12:25 AM

Quote:

Curl,

This gun was at Westley Richards for months at $34,000.00 it was offered to me for $30k and I passed. Jack Puglisi bought it and "jacked" the price to $49,000.00 which is total crap imo. I guess he thinks the market is stupid, and doesn't use the internet. Typical greedy dealer move, as the gun is only worth $25k-$27k tops. Can you say highway robbery?

Maybe Mr. Puglisi knows something we don't. Like just maybe Czar Nicholas' dog peed on the stock while the rifle was standing in the corner!

I do know one thing. If Webley boxlocks are now in the realm of $50k we're all in for a hell of a ride. Hold onto your hat!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #95284 - 28/01/08 12:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Curl,

I do know one thing. If Webley boxlocks are now in the realm of $50k we're all in for a hell of a ride. Hold onto your hat!

Curl

We can always hope !

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Rigby .470 [Re: mickey]
      #95285 - 28/01/08 12:53 AM

Actually Mick, I hope the values don't go sky-high. That dramatically shrinks the buying pool. I think what is happening is there was a good supply of "stopper" class British doubles form about 2000 to 2006. They were snapped-up and the economic laws of supply and demand have kicked in.

How many 5000+ Ft/Lbs Pre-War British doubles do you see floating around?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#95367 - 29/01/08 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe Mr. Puglisi knows something we don't. Like just maybe Czar Nicholas' dog peed on the stock while the rifle was standing in the corner!

Curl

Curl,

It's a C grade boxlock, this is NOT representative of market prices, rather greed. Let's call it what it is, overpriced, period. A $15,000.00 increase justing changing gun shops is outlandish.

If you think this is a fair price your days in the gun business are numbered my friend.

500Nitro
.450 member

#95371 - 29/01/08 03:44 AM

Sinner

The thing is, it's the US that is driving up prices
AND paying them.

So if people pay it, do you expect to happen to prices ?

They keep going up until someone doesn't pay.

WR and a few others who "fish" a gun at a high price
but actually sell it for a lot less are good examples.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby .470 [Re: 500Nitro]
      #95372 - 29/01/08 04:01 AM

Quote:

Sinner

AND paying them.

I'm very familiar with the US market, as well as most of the collectors and hunters that buy doubles like this one. We are not at $50,000.00 yet for such a gun, regardless of dealers "fishing" techniques.

The gun was offered to me for $30k at WR, which didn't get me interested. Then 2 months go bye, and Jack has it out for $50,000.00

That's not the market, unless the prospective buyer is a total fool.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #95381 - 29/01/08 05:22 AM

A German friend of mine told me that at an auction he attended in Munich it was Russian buyers, with more money than sense, who were driving the prices sky high. I regularly troll the German websites for bargains, and I can tell you that they are few and far between nowadays.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Rigby .470 [Re: xausa]
      #95386 - 29/01/08 06:09 AM

I think that rifles, like most everything else, are priced for what the market can bear. Bonanza aside, I hope this price increase keeps going. We are entering another period where speculation on finite items of quality are going to be considered good investments and older Doubles fit perfectly.

Even the 'entry level' rifles are increasing and their prices do not reflect added costs but rather added profit.

One day that Rigby may sell for $50,000, but like Sinner, I don't believe that day has arrived yet.

I have two friends that are sitting a piles of English Rifles and Shotguns. One a bit over 100 and one pushing two hundred. All bought from the mid eighties to late nineties. these guys do not deal. They bought for investment only and neither hunts nor shoots.

Unfortunately neither of these gents needs any money, nor will their Great Grand Children

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Rigby .470 [Re: mickey]
      #95391 - 29/01/08 06:51 AM

Sinner

I agree, we are not up there yet but......

I also agree that the Russians are coming / have come
and that will not help - particulalry the high end.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #95395 - 29/01/08 09:07 AM

Sinner,

Please, a little less fluffing.

I don't doubt that you know the US market, but this quote is just so much self agrandizing bull, "I'm very familiar with the US market, as well as most of the collectors and hunters that buy doubles like this one."

Especially the part about knowing most of the hunters who buy doubles like the Webley actioned Rigby.

JPK

Edited by JPK (29/01/08 09:13 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby .470 [Re: JPK]
      #95399 - 29/01/08 09:46 AM

Quote:

Sinner,

Please, a little less fluffing.

I don't doubt that you know the US market, but this quote is just so much self agrandizing bull, "I'm very familiar with the US market, as well as most of the collectors and hunters that buy doubles like this one."

Especially the part about knowing most of the hunters who buy doubles like the Webley actioned Rigby.

JPK

Once again your taking my posts out of context, with your rude ignorance. I was referring to the people whom buy guns at that level of moneys, and that this gun is overpriced. It is a very small group that buy guns over $50,000.00 and I have been fortunate enough to be on the inside of the trade for 30 plus years. I know which high end gun goes where, and the value of any said piece. Which is the topic here, not who said what and how, perhaps you need to find a drama forum to get off on instead of nitroexpress.com

I think you just post comments to offend and provoke me. I want to discuss double rifles and hunting, not bullshit personal problems with people.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #95406 - 29/01/08 11:04 AM

not bullshit personal problems with people.

peter

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Rigby .470 [Re: peter]
      #95410 - 29/01/08 11:41 AM

Sinner,

I don't think for a minute this rifle is worth $50k. My comment about Czar Nicholas' dog was a tongue-in-cheek throwoff on the rediculous Czar Nicholas Parker A-1 that Mr. Puglisi bought. In fact, the reason I started this thread was because I thought a made-over Webley at $50k is way over the top. Communication by internet bulletin board is often ambiguous. It's hard to communicate subtle messages in stark print.

I more or less agree with you as to the market value of this rifle. I well remember the days when a boxlock was a $10k item. Kinda miss those days now!

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

#95415 - 29/01/08 12:28 PM

Thanks Curl, I was worried you thought it was a good buy.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #95421 - 29/01/08 01:40 PM

As Westley Richards is located a few blocks from my office, I too looked at this rifle--and could have bought it as well for 30k-- but passed..

Ironically, at the SCI show --George of Oklahoma fame had a very similar double on the table with a $39,000 price tag on it--it was still there when I left --but there was one afternoon left so who knows--someone with a whole lot more money than brains might have purchased it..

While I realize the prices are inflated at this show--this time on what I found --they seemed to the point of ridiculous..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Rigby .470 [Re: Ripp]
      #95425 - 29/01/08 02:50 PM

Sinner,

You said what you said and it is BS, your "clarification" is no better. Really, please...

JPK

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rigby .470 [Re: Ripp]
      #95429 - 29/01/08 03:39 PM

Hi Art,

I too have found that dealers increase there prices a bit at shows, especially SCI. It's buyer beware as usual. D. Riffle has one as well that's priced to the moon.

500Nitro
.450 member

#95432 - 29/01/08 03:55 PM

Sinner

You disagreed with what I said "The thing is, it's the US that is driving up prices" and then agreed that dealers increase the prices at shows.

Wther it is at shows or not, they still increase prices !!!

An Increase is an increase which ever way you look at it.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #95450 - 30/01/08 12:02 AM

The price is only set when someone pays. Value or what its worth is another matter

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Rigby .470 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #95459 - 30/01/08 01:48 AM

Quote:

The price is only set when someone pays. Value or what its worth is another matter

You are exactely right--I thought this gun at 32K while at W/R was too high--now it is in the 40's..but wait and see--someone will end up buying it--it might take a while..but I would be someone will jump on it sooner or later--which is truely unfortunate...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #95816 - 03/02/08 02:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sinner

AND paying them.

I'm very familiar with the US market, as well as most of the collectors and hunters that buy doubles like this one. We are not at $50,000.00 yet for such a gun, regardless of dealers "fishing" techniques.

The gun was offered to me for $30k at WR, which didn't get me interested. Then 2 months go bye, and Jack has it out for $50,000.00

That's not the market, unless the prospective buyer is a total fool.

I totally agree that this is a nice rifle, but very over priced! Though the Britt rifles, that are worth owning are getting scarce, and it is normal for the price point to go up, this is far above the value of this rifle, IMO. If I were going to spend $50K for a double rifle, I'd far rather buy three Heyms, and 500NE, a 450/400 3", and a 375 Flanged, and have a set of matching rifles, that will do far more than the one 470NE in question here will, and cost less, for all three!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5527

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com