Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby 470---1920's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Rigby 470---1920's
      #81804 - 04/07/07 09:12 AM

I just found a used Rigby--approximately 1920's vintage--boxlock--still has some color case hardening on the inside when you take it apart--bores seem to be in good condition--has not been reconditioned--wood is in good condition as well--

I realize there are all types of variables, however wondering if anyone has any thought on the approximate value of this double--maybe a range--say $22,000 to $28,000. as an example--I might be able to take it out and shoot it next week as I plan to drive over to have a look--don't have any photos now but might in a few days..

Any comments is appreciated..

Thank you

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: Rigby 470---1920's [Re: Ripp]
      #81813 - 04/07/07 10:26 AM

You have the most desireable (currently) caliber in a rifle built by quite possibly the best of the (non top 4) makers.
Where does one begin with a value range?
I'd say the figures you mention are pretty damn close though.

SOS

--------------------
"I've this damned cannon." - Robert Wilson

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Rigby 470---1920's [Re: Savuti_One_Shot]
      #81815 - 04/07/07 10:39 AM

Savuti

Who do you rate as the Top 4 if Rigby isn't one of them ????
Boss, Purdey, Holland .......?

Ripp

Figures you mention are fine - could be lower, good be higher
depending on the Grade of the gun / condition etc etc.

Rigby had different grades.

Also, if it's a Webley (action) - which IMHO it is likely
to be, even better.

Ejector ?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Rigby 470---1920's [Re: 500Nitro]
      #81818 - 04/07/07 11:43 AM

500 Nitro,

No ejectors-- It is a really awesome handling weapon--it virtually has a life of its own--throw it up and point it at something and its dead on--very impressive.. I realize as in most firearms fit is paramount, and this gun fits very well..

SOS..
Where would you rate this in comparison to a like quality Westley Richards?? Just curious..

thx

Ripp

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#81819 - 04/07/07 11:59 AM

Ripp

I know, I have a Sidelock rigby an da Boxlock Rigby (likely to be the same as the 470) and have a couple of others coming down the track.

"SOS..
Where would you rate this in comparison to a like quality Westley Richards?? Just curious.."

Like nearly every manufacturer, they all had different grades (Except Boss !!!).
WR and Rigby both had different grades of gun, althogh to an extent WR made their own guns in house, whereas Rigby (post Rising Third Bite) used Webleys.

So in some ways it depends on what you think of Webleys !

Me, Rigby, WR -I don't differenciate, IMHO, they are on the same level, one behind the other 3 I mentioned.

Ripp
.577 member

#81820 - 04/07/07 12:11 PM

500 Nitro

My thought is, with this type of gun, it is an investment that should always hold its value or increase with time---I have only seen 3 Rigby's for sale in the past year--I am sure there have been more, but I have not seen them..

I agree with the Westley Richards comparison--them seem very much equal as I can tell..

Ripp

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#81822 - 04/07/07 12:16 PM

Ripp

Well I won 2 Rigbys, 3 WR's and the Sidelock Rigby
and Droplock Westley are on a par.

Boxlocks - well considering neither made the guns,
IMHO, WGAF ! and does it really matter !

Ripp
.577 member

#81823 - 04/07/07 12:20 PM

500 Nitro,

I agree--buy them and move on to the next...as you stated, it really doesn't matter..

Thx

Ripp

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #81831 - 04/07/07 03:11 PM

Quote:

I just found a used Rigby--approximately 1920's vintage--boxlock--still has some color case hardening on the inside when you take it apart--bores seem to be in good condition--has not been reconditioned--wood is in good condition as well--

I realize there are all types of variables, however wondering if anyone has any thought on the approximate value of this double--maybe a range--say $22,000 to $28,000. as an example--I might be able to take it out and shoot it next week as I plan to drive over to have a look--don't have any photos now but might in a few days..

Any comments is appreciated..

Thank you

Ripp

Ripp:

Almost all of the pre-war Rigby boxlock double rifles were built by Webley. I've only seen a couple from other makers. The great majority of the Webley's were supplied to the retailers complete, rather than being finished by the retailers.

If it is a Webley, Webley's number will be on the short rib (between the flats and the fore end loop) on guns built up to late 1906 (11,400 range), and on the left side of the fore-end loop, stamped close-up against the barrels, thereafter. These rifles are often earlier than most think. A Webley built boxlock DR from the '20s will have the number on the loop and it will be in the 13,400 to 13,900 range. Look for the number when you look at the rifle. Of course, this is a different number than the Rigby number you'll find on the guard tang.

If there isn't a number in the correct range in either place, it isn't a Webley, and was built by another supplier. I agree with 500 Nitro that the Webleys are the most desirable.

Value will depend mostly on condition, with bore condition paramount. Grade will matter some, but the price differential isn't huge with these rifles. The A & W C model in the higher grades in excellent condition - perhaps as high as $24,000. It would have to be the unusual 1st quality model in very high condition to be fairly worth $28,000.

Rigby sold both of the Webley boxlock DR models during the pre-war years. In excellent condition, I would take either model over a Westley boxlock every time - with no need to even handle the Westley.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2564

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com