Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Member & Double Owner!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/07
Loc: Louisville, KY.
New Member & Double Owner!!!
      #77660 - 30/04/07 05:14 AM

Hello Everyone,
This is my first posting on this website. I've been reading everyone else's postings for some time now. I've learned quite a lot from all of you. I've wanted a double rifle almost as long as I can remember, which goes back a few years. I just purchased a "like new" Krieghoff Classic Standard in 9.3X74R that was for sale on Gunbroker. I bought it for $5,000. I've read as much as I could find about the gun before I purchased it. I am interested in your feedback and input on a few questions that I have.

1. Is this a fair price for this gun? The photos look as if it is "like new".

2. I've looked up a few places where I can buy ammo and loading supplies. However, I was interested in learning from those that hand load for the 9.3X74r if they loaded a "lite load" for it for deer or do they just replicate the "full house" loads? If so, what size and name brand bullet did you use?

3. Also, Krieghoff says this gun can be used with a mounted scope on it. Does anyone know where I can purchase scope mounts for it?

4. In addition to those questions, does anyone know anything else I need to know about this gun that I would not know by reading and research about it?

I appreciate all that I have already learned from all of you and I look forward to learning more from you all as well as sharing my experiences with you as I begin a new chapter in my life with my new double rifle.

Thanks,

JT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: JusticeTrimble]
      #77667 - 30/04/07 06:36 AM

Hi and welcome!

Sounds like a fair price, better a fair price with good results than a discount price with awful results.

All the best,

Ben

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: empirevr]
      #77671 - 30/04/07 08:13 AM

Congrats!

JPK

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: JPK]
      #77677 - 30/04/07 10:18 AM

I would suggest getting a copy of this book;

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=733496

For scope mounts I would call Champlin Arms;

http://www.champlinarms.com/

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to NE.com

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: JusticeTrimble]
      #77680 - 30/04/07 10:42 AM

Welcome to NE.com. This is a great community for double rifle afficionados.

Congratulations on your purchase. Let's hope it is the first of many.

As to loading, I think you will find that you will need to stay pretty near the regulation load for your rifle to get it to shoot right. The 9.3x74R is a great caliber. You should like it a lot. It has a broad range of uses.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: CptCurl]
      #77687 - 30/04/07 12:57 PM

You might want to try a formula provided by a poster here that seems to work for lighter bullet weights.

First develop the full bullet weight, full velocity load that matches what your rifle was regulated with.

The find a bullet you would like to try that weighs about 70% of the bullet weight the rifle was regulated with. Load this bullet over the powder charge for your full power/regulation load. See how it shoots and adjust from there.

This formula works pretty well in my rifle.

JPK

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: JPK]
      #77706 - 30/04/07 10:40 PM

Good buy on the rifle and a great cartridge for anything you are likely to use it for on the North American continent. There is an ample supply of factory ammo available, and I recall the Krieghoff is regulated for the 285gr Norma loading, an easy matter to find at most on line sites. I echo the comments on lighter loading, I'd work backwards gradually from the regulated load. I have done that in several 9.3X74 doubles I own (SXS and O/U) and you get to the point where you can perdict the dispersion at various ranges.

Several of my 9.3's are scoped as well. I believe that Krieghoff has mounts in stock and an in house gunsmith who will mount them for you. I have spoken to him, and he seems very astute on these issues. I added mounts to a few of my doubles, but since this is something that has to be done right to maintain even a shred of accuracy, I'd go with someone who knows what he is doing rather than a local smith. If Krieghoff can't help you, JJ at Champlain is the route I'd take. He is backed up on work right now (what good smith isn't?) but he is surely worth the wait.

Congrats and have fun. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/07
Loc: Louisville, KY.
Re: New Member & Double Owner!!! [Re: dnovo]
      #77725 - 01/05/07 02:22 AM

Hey Thanks For The Info Guys!!!

I think I'll take your advice and stay with the factory/regulated specs for reloading for awhile.

Does anyone know what Krieghoff charges to put the scope mounts on? I really do not need the mount right now, but I would like to have it installed later.

Thanks again for your help.

JT

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2327

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com