Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scoped 470 ??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Scoped 470 ??
      #73468 - 09/03/07 11:42 AM

I'm trying to talk myself into a medium bore DR. Can't decide between the 9.3's(most likely x 74), 375 Flanged, and 375 Mag. My original thought was that a "medium bore" needs to be scoped in QD rings. Spent alot of time looking at ballistic charts..... somewhere along the way, I looked at the 470 NE ballistics. A few comps: * numbers rounded and based on Federal Factory ammo*

375 Mag : 300@2440 fps ME: (0) 4000 (100yds) 3000 (200yds) 2200
"drop" (50yds) zero (100yds) zero (200yds) -6.5 inches

416 Rigby: 400@2400 ME: (0) 5100 (100yds) 4250 (200yds) 3500
"drop" (50yds) zero (100yds) zero (200yds) -6 inches

470 NE: 500@2150 ME: (0) 5100 (100yds) 4000 (200yds) 3000
"drop" (50yds) +.3 inches (100yds) zero (200yds) -8.5 inches

So why wouldn't I QR/scope my 470 ???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigFiveJack
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/05
Loc: Half hour North of Tampa Bay F...
Re: Scoped 470 ?? [Re: AzGuy]
      #73474 - 09/03/07 12:58 PM

If it's a vintage rifle, likely loss of some value and reduced ability to resell.

With any rifle possible regulation difficulty, this is not predictable.

Mount scope wrong, or mount the rifle wrong when you shoulder it

and get a hit in the eyebrow that will cut you good during recoil. 470's weigh

a good amount usually, scope attached add another 1.25 pounds or so to carry

in the AFRICAN heat for 10 hours a day.

--------------------
Cordially,
Jack

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS Member

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Scoped 470 ?? [Re: BigFiveJack]
      #73478 - 09/03/07 01:27 PM

My view for what its worth:

You need two DG capable rifles if you are going DG hunting.

The primary you will carry day in and day out til you have succeeded in taking your DG quota. You do not want a scope for this rifle while you are DG hunting.

The tracker can carry your scoped medium bore but still DG capable rifle in case you might want to take a longer shot at, say, a really nice buff or deviate from your DG hunt and take advantage of targets of opportunity. If its close and quick, your big DG rifle will be more than adequate, even shooting solids. If there is distance, trade off for the medium bore with the scope if you like.

When you have bagged your DG quota you will be carrying the medium bore, with the scope attached. Bring a spare scope for your medium bore and you have all the redundancy that an expensive, far away DG hunt deserves.

Loose the scope on the medium bore if your big DG rifle goes tits up, btw.

This is my program and it has worked well.

JPK

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Scoped 470 ?? [Re: JPK]
      #73479 - 09/03/07 01:56 PM

JPK,

Your thoughts and mine are the same. I have a perfectly good bolt action 375 w/QD scope and a iron sighted 470. Hope I haven't "thunk" myself out of a medium DR!

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Scoped 470 ?? [Re: AzGuy]
      #73488 - 09/03/07 04:20 PM

Arizona,

Our thoughts and more are the same. I too have a perfectly good 375H&H w/QD scope mounts. While I would love a medium double, I just cannot find enough greater utility to warrant a switch.

In truth, I believe the bolt medium is the better second rifle - OH BLASPHEMY! The simple reason is that when you do hand off your heavy double for the medium rifle, it has - best (read safest) option - four rounds in the magazine.

I once unloaded after a mercifully fruitless walk following elephants to discover, too my absolute horror, that one of my barrels had a soft. From that day forward I have not carried softs in my ammo belt. On that trip, if I wanted to carry a couple of softs, I carried them one each in my pockets. Following that trip I bought a two round slide for my ammo belt so that I can carry a pair of softs on the opposite side from the belt's cartridge loops which carry only solids.

To add the possible confusion of carrying two different calibres is not something I am willing to do.

The trackers each carry a five round belt holder for my 375H&H. Fourteen rounds of the medium ammo is more than sufficient, four is ussually more than plenty, with the odd exception of trying to make bait with the impalas. The trackers are almost always close and they are not fools, when I have fired a round or two out of my 375H&H they come with a couple of rounds to top off before we approach the -hopefully - downed game.

To my thinking, this makes the bolt medium bore the better second rifle.

JPK

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Scoped 470 ?? [Re: BigFiveJack]
      #73662 - 12/03/07 07:01 AM

Quote:

If it's a vintage rifle, likely loss of some value and reduced ability to resell.

With any rifle possible regulation difficulty, this is not predictable.

Mount scope wrong, or mount the rifle wrong when you shoulder it

and get a hit in the eyebrow that will cut you good during recoil. 470's weigh

a good amount usually, scope attached add another 1.25 pounds or so to carry

in the AFRICAN heat for 10 hours a day.

Everything in the above post is true, or a definent posibility. However, there are legitimate reasons to scope a 470NE double rifle, if done properly. There are people who simply cannot shoot with aout a galss sight, because of eyesight problems, and then there are those who simply want a scope on all their rifles, regardless of size or type! I say it's your rifle, if you want a scope on it, do your thing!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1967

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com