Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ???? How ofter do you......

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
???? How ofter do you......
      #29053 - 07/04/05 12:26 PM

.... have a 'smith check/tune-up your double rifle to make sure everything is as it should be?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: ???? How ofter do you...... [Re: DBBill]
      #29057 - 07/04/05 01:57 PM

At purchase! After that, a knowledgeable owner should be able to keep tabs on things.

Bit like cars: some owners can't service and change oil, others wouldn't dream of paying (or trusting!) someone else to do these relatively simple chores.

Thankfully, double rifles don't yet come with a combustion-management computer!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: ???? How ofter do you...... [Re: Marrakai]
      #29058 - 07/04/05 02:06 PM

Never - probably should but can't think of a 'smith in my town who I'd trust more than I trust myself. I use a guy in Melbourne for the occasional modification that involves something scary like milling the rib to install EAW scope mounts on a drilling.

Had a 318 WR I bought that had been submerged for three days in a flood. It had been dried out and checked by one of the top guys in Oz (probably, in terms of practical experience, in the world). Had a rust problem three months later - moisture in the wood and the 'smith took me through fully disassembling the action over the phone one Saturday. But, knowing the guy, he would have done the same even if he'd never seen the rifle.

mike

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #29083 - 08/04/05 12:41 AM

I have the inside cleaned about every 3-years, depending on use, i have mine stripped, cleaned & generelly checked over.

If I've taken the gun to africa and used it for a couple of weeks, i'll accelerate that timing... primarily b/c of that dust over there - you'd be amazed at where it can get.

is that too often? maybe, but i wish that some of the old-timers before us had felt the same way i do about their guns at the time. if so, we'd have DR with "Excellent" bores... instead of pitted ones.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #29097 - 08/04/05 08:40 AM

Every double I have / do buy goes straight to the gunsmith for a strip and clean, check over,
firing pin rounding off (most need this as previous owners don't seem to bother).

Then if I have used the guns in hot, dusty / wet areas (ie NT of Australia every year),
depending on what happened I sometimes give them back to have another strip / clean.

I look at it this way - if I am hunting dangerous game, I like to know that my gun is
in tip top shape and everything works BEFORE I get charged !!! Then all I have to
do is shoot the thing.

500 Nitro

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1651

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com