Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: searcy's doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Jeast
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: tx ,usa
searcy's doubles
      #27097 - 02/03/05 07:50 AM

How many nitroexpress members own or shoot searcy rifles? How well do they shoot? How well is their average wood/metal fit and overall craftsmanship? Would you recommend one to somebody who wants a nice rifle as well as a shooter? I would appreciate some answers and opinions.thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mbogo
.224 member

Reged: 21/05/04
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: Jeast]
      #27100 - 02/03/05 09:22 AM

I have not personally shot a searcy rifle but have handled a few doubles made by him and I think they are one of the best guns you can get at a reasonable price(ejectors and all) The engraving looks very good on his guns also. I have talked to a few guys who hunt dangerous game with them and they love them. If you want a workhorse that will go to hell and back with you then a Searcy is a good choice in my opinion(for what it's worth).

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #27103 - 02/03/05 09:35 AM

I own a Searcy field grade. The wood to metal fit is excellent, but admittedly not English Best Grade. My stock blank is very nice as well.

mstarling
.224 member

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: West Virginia, USA
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: 500grains]
      #27110 - 02/03/05 12:53 PM

I also own a Searcy Field Grade .470. Good wood to metal fits. Wood is well beyond what one would expect. Rifle shoots beautifully. Groups about 2" at 100 yards with Woodleighs and with 500 grain GCFP cast slugs.

Butch is not too much for words on e-mail, but he builds a hellova piece.

mike starling

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #27113 - 02/03/05 01:47 PM

I handled a Searcy at a shoot last October, not a really traditional looking DR, but seemed well made and very strudy.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: bonanza]
      #27116 - 02/03/05 02:40 PM

I have a .470 Searcy PH model that I keep leaned up against the wall in my bedroom. Every morning a couple of cats chase each other around the back yard right out the window. With snap caps in, I get in my daily "buffalo charge" practice... and if they don't quit digging up flowers and crapping in the flower bed, I may just slip in a solid one quiet daybreak and wake up the neighborhood for an early breakfast.

I have other doubles, but the Searcy is the go to gun; a sturdy, accurate double that's good looking, too.

A Searcy cost about 2K more than the entry Merkel and Kreighoffs (or however you spell the thing).. and to my simple mind, is worth every penny of it. And if it breaks, Butch will fix it.

With my Westley Richards, I feel like I have history in my hand... with the Searcy, I'm making it...

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

500grains
.416 member

Re: searcy's doubles [Re: JudgeG]
      #27117 - 02/03/05 02:46 PM

JudgeG,

1. How many doubles do you have now?

2. Why not sell all of them but one and do some more hunting?

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
      #27118 - 02/03/05 03:00 PM

500Grains:

Unfortunately, I can now count them on one hand. I sold two and plunked down a deposit on an elephant in 2006... That'll make two trips across the South Atlantic next year. Let's see if I can keep it down to just one in 2005 (a 10 day, two buff hunt in the Selous) Is that enough, or do I need to sell another?

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

500grains
.416 member

#27120 - 02/03/05 03:11 PM

JudgeG,

You may want to accelerate that rate at which you book and attend safaris in order to get your lifetime total up as high as possible. And the kids don't need to inherit anything...

Jeast
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/05
Loc: tx ,usa
      #27122 - 02/03/05 03:27 PM

I want to thank everybody for their help.I am looking into Searcy's rifles. I owned a merkel 416 Rigby and it shot well enough but became hard to open and it was not a timing issue.I believe it was seizing up on me,and I got rid of it.To my understanding they dont offer their double in 416 Rigby any longer.
Im looking for a gun that is funcionally tough,but with good handling qualities as well as good fit and finish.I understand Chapuis,Heym and Kreighoff make good doubles.I wonder what their nicer guns cost,and how they stack up compared to Searcy's.
Somebody please correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the Merkel rifle look like the frame is identical to the one they build their 28 guage on?Of course the above mentioned doubles also have relatively slim frames.However I dont believe Searcy's frames are slim,once you get beyond his 375 flanged they get quite bulky.Not that that is bad, the old rifles I have seen seem to have a frame proportionate to their caliber and still handle very well.
With all of the advances in metal quality and machining tolerances,does frame size really matter as far as strength is concerned.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #27126 - 02/03/05 04:02 PM

In reply to:

With my Westley Richards, I feel like I have history in my hand... with the Searcy, I'm making it...

JudgeG,
Very well said!

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #27159 - 03/03/05 12:37 AM

I've never seen or handled a SEARCY and dont even know if there is one in Australia ,
How ever from reading Butch's comments about his firearms and his pride of workmanship and the fact that he is prepared to update modifications to his firearms at no cost say's a lot for the man and his rifles.
You would be a bloody fool to buy anything else if you are looking for a new double..
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #27160 - 03/03/05 12:43 AM

Alan

One lucky fellow in Northern Queensland won one in a raffle. As I paid for a small percentage of it one day I hope to handle it.

Not sure if he hs received it yet, but he well should have by now.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #27163 - 03/03/05 12:58 AM

Jest,

I have a merkel and chapuis. The chapuis' bar action is wider that the merkel, thus in theory stronger. But, that being said the Germans are very good engineers and there smaller actions are strong.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
      #27187 - 03/03/05 08:12 AM

I have had a Searcy 500 Nitro on order for a year now.The rifle is finished by having trouble with expired export permits etc etc.The USA paperwork is worse than here in Australia!
I have yet to handle the rifle but have found Butch honest and straight talking.I don't know why
you would pay virtualy the same price for a European off the shelf rifle that is not "made to fit".I have not the foggiest idea why you would pay 3 or 4 times as much for some old piece of Pommie shit or ten times as much for a new one.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: wombat]
      #27198 - 03/03/05 02:33 PM

wombat:
Anyone who pays "3 or 4 times as much for some old piece of Pommie shit" is indeed a fool, however only a bigger fool would contend that because a gun is pommie, and old, it must be sh!t! Someone who acquires a sound Wilkes/Scott/Jeffery et al for the same money is probably a little smarter than you
...give them credit for!

The purchasers of brand-new high-end Brit doubles today are not even going to look at a Kreighoff/Searcy/Shampoo gun! Different market.

I am at a loss to understand the need to roundly 'can' British doubles in order to justify buying a Searcy. If you like Searcys, buy one! The decision needs no justification. ...but bagging Brit guns out-of-hand just advertises your lack of understanding.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #27203 - 03/03/05 04:23 PM

In reply to:

I believe it was seizing up on me

FWIW - that's not the first time i've heard that about the merkel

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #27210 - 03/03/05 08:33 PM

wombat I havent forgotten about the shoulder recoil pad.
Finally managed to aquire the correct rubber .
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #27212 - 03/03/05 09:58 PM

good to hear about the recoil pad-send me a private e-mail about the next step

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #27219 - 04/03/05 02:22 AM

In reply to:

"have yet to handle the rifle"

In reply to:

"I don't know why you would pay virtualy the same price for a European off the shelf rifle that is not "made to fit"."

How do you know they are "made to fit" if you till haven't
handled it.

Did you handle one before ordering?

A serious queston.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500grains
.416 member

Re: searcy's doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #27220 - 04/03/05 03:13 AM

In reply to:

Anyone who pays "3 or 4 times as much for some old piece of Pommie shit" is indeed a fool, however only a bigger fool would contend that because a gun is pommie, and old, it must be sh!t! Someone who acquires a sound Wilkes/Scott/Jeffery et al for the same money is probably a little smarter than you
...give them credit for!

Marraki,

There are sound vintage British rifles.

And there are a lot of pommie pieces of shot floating around too. Forumites participating here at nitroexpress.com even urge potential buyers of vintage British doubles to either educate themselves on how to evaluate the condition of such a rifle, or take it to a double rifle expert for evaluation before purchase. Why? To avoid buying a defective piece that is off face, out of regulation, has wood-rot, excessively worn or pitted bores, is not original, etc.

That is not to say there are not fine British guns out there. But I have seen quite a few of them that are crap in addition to the nice ones.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #27241 - 04/03/05 02:29 PM

500grains:

In reply to:

piece that is off face, out of regulation, has wood-rot, excessively worn or pitted bores, is not original

Even a novice could identify these faults without having to involve a "double rifle expert". Its not rocket science! Contrary to what certain American gun-writers would have us believe, there is nothing 'magical' or 'super-natural' about Brit doubles.

I dunno what circles you travel in, 500grains, but around here most Brit doubles are fairly valuable and are consequently well looked-after. The two most-stuffed double rifles I have personally seen in the last decade were a Chapuis 9.3 and a Ferlach .458. SxS shotguns are a different story, though!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500grains
.416 member

Re: searcy's doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #27243 - 04/03/05 02:49 PM

I stopped looking seriously at used British doubles a few years ago, but I would say that I saw 20 over a 3 year period that were not worth having.

It would not be wise for a potential double rifle buyer to assume a used rifle is good quality simply because it is British or came from a big name maker.

jblok
.224 member

Reged: 22/02/05
      #27249 - 04/03/05 05:16 PM

I have seen many Searcy doubles, and yes, the wood metal fit looks quite good, but hold it to the sun and look carefully. You will see what a good bedding job Butch has done. Or even better, get a gunsmith to remove the stock for you and then take a look... Even under the trigger guard and wherever you will see the same bedding. Would I buy searcy? If you enquire deeper, you will hear about forends falling off in the field, doubling and one very unhappy client. Unfortunately rust is a severe problem with the "Stainless Steel" actions. Butch must be very close to NASA where he can get some really good glue to glue the ribs on... Regulating also seems to be a problem as soon as they are shipped a great distance (like over the Atlantic) Unfortunately all the great game is also over there!

gordon27813
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/05
Re: searcy's doubles [Re: jblok]
      #27251 - 04/03/05 05:29 PM

Admittedly the quality of Butch's doubles have improved since Dirk started working there. Dirk also told me at the show that he is the only guy working for Butch, besides another lady doing the metal polishing. So besides, for a two man show, you must give them credit where it is due. You can't expect everything to be perfect and a short turn around time! But still... If you pay for it, you expect it. Why do you think Butch will repair anything that goes wrong with his doubles...

If it's worth doing, do it right the first time! -Confucius

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 10132

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com