Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Snapcaps ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Snapcaps ???
      #4396 - 12/10/03 02:35 AM

Now I am a bit stingey at times and proper snapcaps for Nitro Express calibres are usually a bit ridiculously priced.

Can't a couple of normal cases be used with spent primers? Perhaps with a couple of seated bullets to chamber them easier.

Now if you have a proper case with all the accoutrements the nice shiny snapcaps do look good in them, but my case is a just an old leather double shotgun case I had on hand.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: NitroX]
      #4399 - 12/10/03 11:39 AM

Nitro
As far as using spent cases as snap caps.......
If you are talking doubles, DON'T DO IT unless you fit new unfired primers each time you pull a trigger!!!
In my opinion there are PROPER snap caps and there are RUBBISH snap caps.
Yes PROPER snap caps are not cheap but this is because they are not cheap to make.
Cheap snap caps can break your lock parts which are not so cheap to replace!
I make snap caps for any cal in both brass and aluminium and if you need a set maybe we can do a deal.
These are fitted with adjustable spring loaded polycabonate plungers.
I think that Taylor said something in one of his books about snapping away to your hearts content with a double using snap caps but I think you'd have to be CRAZY to do so.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: 4seventy]
      #4440 - 17/10/03 12:44 PM

NitroX (Do I have to address you as Sir now that I are a moderator? )

Agree with 4seventy about dry firing on an empty chamber or a spent case. The firing pins can stick in fired primer and go to far out and burr on an empty chamber.

4seventy

Why do you feel it is foolish to use snap caps alot for practice? Isn't that one of the reasons for them? Practice? I know that you should use them to take off the tension on the firing pins but you can uncock a double by pulling both triggers as you close it also.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #4453 - 18/10/03 03:00 AM

A proper set of snap-caps are the real thing, and should accompany every double rifle! They come in two weights, light ones for EXTRACTORS, and cartridge weight ones for EJECTORS. The aluminium ones are not strong enough for anything. The strickers hitting them will eventually bend the RIMS letting the strickers over extend! This is not good. Barring real proper snap-caps, they can be made from two empty cases. If you have ejectors, fill the case with molten aluminum, then cut the front off back far enough so they weigh the same as a full cartridge case. This will allows the ejectors to toss the snap-cap like the empties, but still be short! The primer pockets are then filled with a pencil errasors. The rubber will take up the strike of the stricker, and rebound to set the striker back into the standing breach. Drop a few extras, in your rifle case, to replace them as they ware! For the 470, the nicol plated cases from FEDERAL cartridge Co. make very nice ones, that look like the commercialy made ones , and cost about $4 USD to make, compared to $50 USD for real ones!

If you don't care how long they are, you can simply put errasors in the primer pockets of two empties, and go from there!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #4457 - 18/10/03 10:16 AM

Aluminium is a bit like loctite in that many people wrongly think there is only one type.
Crap aluminium has a tensile strength similar to soap and anyone who has any lathe turning experience will know what I mean.
The better grades of aluminium are very strong indeed and can easily withstand the loads that snapcaps endure.

Dugaboy 1 I find it interesting that an aluminium snapcap rim cannot cope with repeated firing pin impacts but a pencil eraser can.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: mickey]
      #4477 - 19/10/03 09:19 AM

mickey
I don't have any problem with using snapcaps for practice so long as the caps are matched to the striker impact and that you don't over do it.
Every time the triggers are pulled a small amount of wear occurrs at the sears and other action and lock parts so I'd rather wear mine out on actual shooting.

Edited by 4seventy (30/01/04 11:58 PM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#4787 - 06/11/03 03:16 AM

4seventy, the aluminum snapp caps I was refering to are the cheap one made here in the states, they are soft, and simply do not hold up. If you will notice, I reccomended keeping extra pincle erasors in the case for replacement when they wear! The empty case with the errasors are simply a fix if you don't have real snapp caps! Certainly, if you turn your own, then they may be made from anything you choose, that is available to you!

While I have your attention, do you have some problem with me? It seems everything I post bugs you in some way!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #4790 - 06/11/03 09:16 AM

Jesus, let's not start a pissing match. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if most of them are wrong!

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

4seventy
Sponsor

#4791 - 06/11/03 10:38 AM

Bloody hell! The post about flys on the barrel was just a joke!
I've often had a bit of a chuckle about all the things you're supposed to do or not do with doubles or they wont shoot properly.
Hell, if all doubles were as touchy as some would have us believe, nobody would ever want to do any serious hunting with them.
Getting back to the original subject, I must admit to being surprised at comment that aluminium snap caps are not strong enough and that the rims will bend.
I have here a pair of 470 caps that have been made from cheapie over the counter 12 gauge aluminium snap caps.
These came with a gun I bought several years ago and whoever machined them got the rims wrong by a fair amount.
470 rims are supposed to be 40 thou but one cap is at 35 and the other at 30 thou, a full 10 thou undersize which leaves a pitifully thin ALUMINIUM rim.
These caps have an adjustable spring on the plunger which is wound up to full pressure.
These snapcaps have been snapped on many times, they also have been ejected many times and they have a few little nicks and dents in them from being ejected onto hard objects like tiled floors and such.
But guess what, the rims dont show any sign of bending even though they are well undersize and made out of ally!
On the other hand I had a newly machined Brass snapcap roll off the bench and hit the floor and ended up with a bent rim and a bruise in the headstamp area.

This is just an opinion based on my own experience fellas, and whether it's thought to be right or wrong doesn't really worry me.
DUGGABOY 1, I don't have a problem with any one here, but without a little occasional lively debate and difference of opinion things could get rather mundane, don't you think?

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#4825 - 07/11/03 05:50 AM

4seventy
DUGGABOY 1, I don't have a problem with any one here, but without a little occasional lively debate and difference of opinion things could get rather mundane, don't you think?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......... DUGABOY1 ...........<<<<<<<<<<<<
I do think it would get a little boring! Sorry for the paranoia! I've been shot at quite a lot, recently, on some of the forums, so if you'll excuse me for still being a little on guard..............

I think I need a break from the internet for a while!

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#4827 - 07/11/03 09:16 AM

DUGGABOY 1
Yeah I know what you mean about being shot at!
But feel free to take a shot at me anytime so long as it is with your keyboard and not with one of your doubles!

If you feel like a break from the net for a while perhaps you should chuck a double into its case, jump on a jumbo and come over here and I'll take you out for a bit of ozzie double rifle pig shooting!
Don't forget the ammo!
Cheers

4seventy
Sponsor

#27591 - 10/03/05 04:45 PM

In reply to:

I make snap caps for any cal in both brass and aluminium

Did some really neat ones in stainless as well but these days I don't make snap caps anymore.

Anyone wanting some (by another maker) could try Century Arms here in Aus.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #27600 - 10/03/05 08:32 PM

Try these guys!

A-Zoom Snap Caps

I have these in 475#2 Jeffery, 404 Jeffery. They are full size, and have a plastic primer insert that protects the firing pin. These are nice.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

chrispie
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/04
Loc: New England, USA
Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: Rusty]
      #27610 - 11/03/05 03:39 AM

you can also get them through Kynoch, i had to e-mail them, and they got right back to me, i placed my order over the e-mail along with a half a dozen foam wads. there snap caps are stainless.
i ordereed them because i could find any 500NE anywhere else, the A Zoom snap caps are nice also and i have a pair of 470's, but i could find them in 500 or larger.

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
      #27796 - 15/03/05 03:53 PM

I turned snapcaps for my .577 and 450-3 1/4" rifles from 6061 aluminum with nylon inserts for the primers. Could have used a case, but they are still shootable.

Dave

BigBear
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/05
Loc: Clarkston, Michigan
Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: Rusty]
      #27814 - 16/03/05 06:43 AM

Rusty, do you know how to reach A-Zoom by telephone. I may be slow but I cannot get the website order to go through and there is no telephone number. Also, are these good for practice dryfiring? Would appreciate your help.

BB

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: BigBear]
      #27815 - 16/03/05 09:10 AM

Looks like A-Zoom has an agreement with Lyman to handle their products.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

davem3
.300 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: birmingham,al usa
Re: Snapcaps ??? [Re: BigBear]
      #27823 - 16/03/05 02:52 PM

Bigbear
Lyman's number: 1-800-225-9626
They do handle the A-Zoom snap caps.
My solution to the snap cap problem is to thumb the hammer back a little, pull the trigger and ease the hammer down. Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3438

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com