Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: C&H .375 2 1/2 question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Indiana, USA
C&H .375 2 1/2 question
      #21918 - 08/12/04 09:26 AM

Too all: I recently ran onto a Coswell & Harrison in .375 2 1/2. I have a couple of questions. #1, your opinion of C&H. #2 Your opinion of the above caliber? (I won't be hunting with it, merely a shooter) #3 The asking price is $4950 USD. It looks to be in pretty good shape ext. and the bores aare very good. It has a box lock action. The dealer claims it will put 12 shots in 5 1/2 in. @ 100yds.
The dealer has it on consignment for a customer.
I spoke with the dealer and he said to wait a few weeks to see if the customer wants to come down any. Do you have any comments on this? Thanks for your time. Sp2

--------------------
SP2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: C&H .375 2 1/2 question [Re: SOUTHPAWTOO]
      #21933 - 08/12/04 12:20 PM

Their is another thread speaking about Coggies so I'll let you read that and draw your own conclusions. As to the 2.5" case it is a nice Deer round and such. It is not a .375 Flanged Magnum or anywhere near it.

5 1/2" groups are not all that spectacular. You should be able to tighten it up but I would insist on shooting it and, if you don't know what to look for, post the target here.

The price, for a nice rifle as described is a bit high but not much. Make an offer.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #21976 - 09/12/04 03:00 AM

SP2 , the 375 2 1/2" is a sreight sided case similar to the 375 Winchester! Cases can be made from 405 Win, by simply running them in the 375 2 1/2" dies, and trimming to length.
This is a deer cartridge, and factory ammo pushed a 270 gr lead bullet at 2000 fps, for a muzzle energy of 2400 fpe.
In a double rifle chambered for this cartridge, I would not axceed the factory pressures.

I have seen the rifle you are talking about, I think, and it is a nice looking rifle, if someone polished off the stupid blueing sombody did on the action. The action was origenally case colored, but would look much better polished to a coin finish. That dealer can do that for at a fairly low cost. If it is the same one, dies, and some brass comes with it! It would make a nice woods, or brush country deer or moose rifle! It also would make a nice double for the moveing target double rifle shoots that are becoming popular as of late! The cartridge is obsolete, and has been for 100 yrs.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #21982 - 09/12/04 05:08 AM

Unusually nice looking rifle for a Coggie. Nice Wood. Short barrels, excellent bores. The 5 1/4" inch 100 yard group was 12 shots. If the serial number table that I have is correct, this rifle was built in 1909.

For non-dangerous game, the .375 2 1/2" is a quite useful cartridge, especially in scrub or timber. Dandy black bear rifle. Great bullet selection. The only readily available brass that I'm aware of is Bertram which may work OK, or may not. I don't know if it is available from Horneber or not. Yeah, .405 will work.

Mac - it hasn't been obsolete for quite that long. The cartridge is only 105 years old and the rifles were built into the '30s I imagine. Kynoch appears to have loaded it until 1952.
------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #21983 - 09/12/04 05:51 AM

Also, I wonder a little about the blued frame. Might be my imagination, but I seem to recall seeing more Coggies with blued frames than those of other makers. This usually means that the piece has been refinished and the frame blacked instead of going to the trouble of re-case color, but I'm not so sure with the Cogswells. Maybe this was original and was simply re-blacked later? You might want to ask George about that, if it is an issue for you.
--------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
Re: C&H .375 2 1/2 question [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #21994 - 09/12/04 11:51 AM

All I can say about the gun is that it darn well will kill a zebra... graveyard dead!

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: C&H .375 2 1/2 question [Re: JudgeG]
      #21997 - 09/12/04 12:22 PM

In the newest Sotheby's Catalog there is a Hoolis in .375 2 1/2". Calls the condition 'worn'. Suggested price $3500-$5000.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Re: C&H .375 2 1/2 question [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22019 - 09/12/04 04:10 PM

Dugaboy,
Thanks for the input. But IF I get it, it would only be used as a shooter. I'm far too "beat up" to go elk hunting anymore. I might take it to the back of my place for a deer someday. As to the brass situation, thank you very much. SP2

--------------------
SP2

SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Re: C&H .375 2 1/2 question [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #22020 - 09/12/04 04:15 PM

400 NX,
Thank you so much for the historical info...much appreciated. I don't know if I'll get the rifle or not. As to hunting with it, I doubt it. My legs and knees won't make it too well in the field, but I sure can make it to the shooting bench OK. LOL.(or a match) Sure would like to see you at Big Rock in April for the shoot. SP2

--------------------
SP2

SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Re: C&H .375 2 1/2 question [Re: JudgeG]
      #22021 - 09/12/04 04:20 PM

JudgeG,
IS THIS YOUR GUN??? if so, please contact me off line in order to discuss it further. I"m NOT a hunter, but rather a shooter. (on a very limited income, I'm a lowly carpenter with rather expensive tastes.)
The discription with the rifle from the dealer said that the owner had taken a Zebra with it in Africa. (well duh, Like someone would take a Zebra in a zoo, hahaha) But seriously sir, if this is your rifle, please give me a shout. SP2 (Don)

--------------------
SP2

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1874

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com