Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: r.b. rodda

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
roguetsonda
.224 member

Reged: 18/07/04
r.b. rodda
      #16855 - 18/07/04 08:48 AM

I've just purchased a r.b. rodda in .500 bpe. Does anyone know how to research Rodda's records to see when this gun was made?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
webley
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Re: r.b. rodda [Re: roguetsonda]
      #16862 - 18/07/04 04:32 PM

I'm not aware that the actual Rodda records exist (please let us know if you find out who if anyone has got them). However, Rodda had guns made for them by various makers & it's sometimes possible to get a date at least from the original makers serial number.

For example: I have a Rodda but it was built by W&C Scott (there's no Scott name on the gun but from the action/style etc it could have been made by no other). The gun carries the Scott serial number which was also adopted by Rodda. From this I've been able to find the year it was built from the available list of Scott serial numbers. Sadly the actual records for W&C Scott and Webley & Scott rifles were destroyed (most of the shotgun records still exist).

Regards
Webley

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: r.b. rodda [Re: webley]
      #16866 - 19/07/04 12:30 AM

R.B. Rodda & Co. were strictly gun retailers based in India, with shops in Calcutta and New Delhi.

They did have premises (presumably to arrange the exporting of stock) at various addresses in Birmingham. Boothroyd lists them as;

24 Whittal Street in 1910
10 Vesey Street in 1935
17a Steelhouse Lane in 1940

By 1955 they no longer had premises in Birmingham.

In India, their Calcutta outlet closed in about 1976, and the New Delhi shop was still there in 1980, but has now closed down.

Like other India-based retailers such as Mantons, Army and Navy, Lyon & Lyon, A. Hollis etc., a large number of their guns were sourced from Webley & Scott, and usually carry their serial numbers.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: r.b. rodda [Re: roguetsonda]
      #17006 - 22/07/04 04:44 AM

Hey Tony, I see it didn't take you long to get over here! Welcome aboard, you will find as much expertese regarding double rifles, as well as big bores of all types on this web-site, as you will any place in the world today. You will likely get some good advice for loading the old 500BPE
here as well. Many of the guys posting here are on Accurate Reloading as well, and if you can't find it on one of these two sites, It doesn't exist!

I'll try to get down there soon, maybe to see Mark, so we can do some shooting! How does your little Chapuis shoot?

Again, welcome, and good luck on your Muledeer hunt!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Webley & Scott and Serial Numbers [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #17053 - 23/07/04 06:59 AM

I suspect that my Wm. Evans has a Webley & Scott action but a Wm. Evans serial number. How do I proove this one way or the other? Where do we find Webley & Scott numbers?

I suppose I should break down and have Wm. Evans search their records.

webley
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Re: Webley & Scott and Serial Numbers [Re: unspellable]
      #17218 - 26/07/04 04:23 PM

Here's a link to a list of Scott and Webley & Scott serial numbers.

http://gunshop.com/dgsnos5.htm

Not all makers/retailers kept the Webley numbers others added their own number in addition.

For example: My two Scott made rifles only have the original Scott number which the retailer adopted, whilst my Army & Navy rifle has both the Webley number (hidden away) plus the Army & Navy number on the trigger guard.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3479

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com