Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: regulating double advice ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
regulating double advice ?
      #15265 - 28/05/04 12:00 AM

i have a merkel 470 which iam trying to regulate for a practical economic load ! other than paying $20.00 per round for federal 470 ammo .
1.is it better to shoot from a standing rest or bench rest ?
2.which barrel do i fire first left or right
3.how many seconds do i wait before firing second barrel ?
4.iam using bertram cases, woodleigh projectiles ,mulwex ar 2209 ,fed 215. without success .groups so far have been woeful .iam going to try ar2213 next
5.i just want to settle on a load for woodleigh solids and softs !
6.i cannot fire many shots at a time cause i hurt my shoulder in two motor vehicle accidents and at work, so it might take a while .
7.any advice thanks !

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: regulating double advice ? [Re: kos]
      #15268 - 28/05/04 12:22 AM

Far be it for me to claim to be an expert, but according to the merkel factory rep (i have a merkel) you should shoot the front trigger and then the back within 7 seconds. Your gun should have come with a test target specifying the cartridge with which the gun was regulated. Try the hodgdon's web site under youth loads for advice on reduce loads. If you can't take the recoil for long, ask a friend to squeze off a few - most people love the chance to shoot a double.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #15283 - 28/05/04 08:35 AM

kos,
AR2209 is reputed to give a bit less recoil than AR2213 for equal velocities.
Usually you shoot the right barrel first but as another member here has pointed out, it often won't make much or any difference.
Shoot your second barrel with as little time as possible after the first.
This has nothing to do with regulation but is to allow your memory to duplicate the exact same sighting picture as with your first shot!
Sitting is often more steady than standing unless you have a proper double rifle standing rest.
Use sandbags or similar at the forend and just rest your elbows on the bench with nothing else touching the buttstock.
Hold the forend in your hand and rest your hand on top of the sandbag so the rifle is not in contact with anything other than your hands.

Questions.
What group sizes are you getting from each individual barrel?
What is the overall group size of both barrels and at what distance?
What load are you using and have you chronographed any of your loads?

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #15327 - 30/05/04 09:38 AM

kos

In reply to:

4.iam using bertram cases, woodleigh projectiles ,mulwex ar 2209 ,fed 215. without success .groups so far have been woeful

I have found that 95 grains of AR 2209 (BELL original case/Woodleigh 500 gr SN/F-215M) to shoot in a number of .470's. I did have a similar exprerience once though; rifle shot with original Kynoch ammo, but not with ANY handloads, UNTIL I started experimenting with bullet seating depth. Go figure!

In reply to:

3.how many seconds do i wait before firing second barrel ?

Just as quickly as you can re-aim your LEFT barrel shot! Unless you've got sombody calling your shots through a Spotting Scope, set up two targets, one for the right barrel, and one for the left - that saves delays.

In reply to:

1.is it better to shoot from a standing rest or bench rest ?

WHATEVER you do, you HAVE to simulate the the easy off-hand hold that these rifles were designed for. This is best done on a standing rest, and was the method used by the British gunmakers.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: regulating double advice ? [Re: 470Rigby]
      #15329 - 30/05/04 11:55 AM

As long as we are on this topic, how about using pure offhand for trying out loads in a double? I might have to repeat some groups, but would pure offhand be the best format of all?

canada
.275 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Northern Ontario Canada
Re: regulating double advice ? [Re: 500grains]
      #15347 - 30/05/04 08:43 PM

Re: Off hand shooting.

I was shooting the other day and my groups opened up rights and lefts about 4".I checked the loads and all appeared ok. I had been shooting some bolt guns earlier and realized I had been resting the forearm on a hard bag rather than my hand. I have shot other doubles off the bag and could see no difference but this one particular gun must be shot with the forearm in hand resting on the bag and the butstock off the rear bag. Try this it may make a difference.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2274

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com