Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: fabarm asper double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
jwm
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/08
Loc: Ontario, Canada
fabarm asper double
      #116727 - 12/10/08 11:08 AM

Hello all, new poster here, though I've been reading here quite a while.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has any opinions or esperience with the Fabarm Asper double rifle. I'm looking at one locally and find it very interesting. My only experience with doubles has been with a Baikal SxS .30-06 (enjoyed for a while and then sold), a Pedersoli Kodiak .45-70 (still have it and like it, but regulation is a problem) and a Zoli O/U Leopard model in 7x65R (actually two very accurate single shots that years of reloading and experimenting failed to turn into a one-group shooter). I'd love to have a good accurate double that I could use for much of my local hunting for moose, deer, and black bear as well as for travel. The Asper is in 9.3x74R which is a caliber I've always had a thing for. Not exactly classically styled, I still find it attractive (I'm not really classically styled either!). It apparently has a guarantee of two-barrel 100-yard groups not exceeding 50mm.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: fabarm asper double [Re: jwm]
      #116755 - 12/10/08 07:09 PM

john

i dont know the rifle, but will like to welcome you here anyway. there will proberly be someone around here that will know the rifle.

best

peter

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: fabarm asper double [Re: peter]
      #116805 - 13/10/08 05:26 AM

jwm,

I know nothing of the Fabarm Asper, but I do want to extend a warm welcome to you as a new poster to NE.com.

Take part freely.

Somebody else will help with your question, I'm sure.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: fabarm asper double [Re: CptCurl]
      #116973 - 15/10/08 12:28 PM

jwm

I own and shoot a Fabarm Asper in 9.3x74r. I have not hand any problems with this rifle and it has now fired about 450 shots during regulation and competition. It took a little work to regulate but it was worth it. I am shooting RWS cases, 286 Woodliegh Round nose with a local powder ADI 2209. This load consistelty shoots under 2" at 100 yards and the best 4 shot group I have obtained is 1 3/8". I am still working with other projectiles. Other ownders have had good results with 250gn Ballistic tips, 270 grain speers and 286 grn Woodliegh protected points.

The rifles is about the right weight for the calibre IMHO, and it carries and points well. The price of a detachable scope mount is quite expensive, but well worth it. The only problem I have with the rifle is the opens sights fitted. The rear sight is not adjustable for elevation. The front sight is via a small allen key. The only problem is with my loads they shoot low with the front sight at its lowest elevation. About 4" at 50 yards. So I shoot it with a scope. The base of the rear sight is much longer than any other sight, so I have had problems obtaining a replacement that will fit straight in.

I have shot feral pigs with this calibre and it is very emphatic killer. I think it would be a suitable rifle for your bears in close. I visited your country in May this year with my wife for a months. Absolutely magical. Good luck with the rifle.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

jwm
.224 member

Re: fabarm asper double [Re: 450]
      #117182 - 18/10/08 10:50 PM

Thanks all for the welcome, and thank you Wayne for the loading info. I plan to put it to use.

I broke down and ordered the Asper, as I did not care for the enhanced/film-coated "triwood" on the specimen that my local shop had in stock. I wanted the oil-finished version, and was astonished when it arrived yesterday. The wood is beautifully coloured and figured, and carries the elaborate checkering pattern and wood buttplate shown in the catalog on the "prestige" model, although with the less ornate metal engraving of the two lesser models. A factory goof-up? Who cares? It is lovely.

The gun handles very well and comes up to my shoulder nicely. The fiber-optic sights, while not exactly classic, are right there in my line of sight when I snap the gun up with eyes closed. Trigger is good but not great, and I was a bit disappointed to find that the single trigger utilizes an inertial reset for the second barrel, so a dud round in barrel #1 leaves you with a useless second barrel (or is there something that I am missing here?). The adjustable barrel regulation feature seems to consist of a wedge between the muzzles with an allen-head screw in it, but the paperwork that came with the gun makes no mention of how this is to be used. I will contact Fabarms and try to get more info on this as I don't want to mess it up.

The wood buttplate, while attractive, will probably have to make way for a conventional rubber pad for practicality's sake. The scope mount is still on its way so I can't comment on that, and the aluminum case is nice but has no provision for a scope.

Shooting impressions and hopefully pictures to follow.

And yes, Wayne, this rifle has "bear gun" written all over it!

John

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
      #117222 - 19/10/08 01:39 PM

JWM

I do not believe that the wedge is adjustable for regulation as I believe it is set at the factory. The signle trigger does use the inertial reset. I do not know of any way around this. Still, I have yet to have a misfire in this rifle yet, but I suppose the worse time would be if a bear was gunna chew on you. I played with another load today and it looks promising. ADI 2208 or over in Canada it wouls be Varget. This load was safe in my rifle so work up carefully. 55.5 grains with 286 grain woodleigh. Good luck with the rifle.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: fabarm asper double [Re: 450]
      #117240 - 19/10/08 09:14 PM

http://www.fabarm.com/products-asper-prestige.htm

Nighthawk
.224 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: Belgium
Re: fabarm asper double [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #117363 - 21/10/08 10:49 PM

Regarding the single trigger reset: when you experience a misfire, switching the safety on and of sets the trigger for the second barrel on my Miroku. It also may work on your gun (try it with the gun unloaded )

jwm
.224 member

Re: fabarm asper double [Re: Nighthawk]
      #117414 - 22/10/08 12:26 PM

Nighthawk,

Thanks very much for that helpful little nugget of info! I never would have thought of that. I just tried it with a pencil in each barrel, to confirm that I was cocking the second barrel instead of merely re-cocking the first. It works! Obviously a bit slower than two quick pulls on the trigger, but a far cry better than breaking the gun and reloading. That resolves one of my main nitpicks about this gun.

Thanks again!

John

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #117652 - 26/10/08 12:53 AM

JWM,

I have a friend who is a dealer in fine rifles in the UK and he says that the Asper is by far the most accurate prduction double rifle that he has seen. And he shoots and buys and sells a very large number of fine guns to clients in the USA and the Middle East, so I take his opinion very seriously. If you want me to put you in touch with him so that you could check his opinion out, just let me know.

Cheers!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

45120Gong
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/18
Loc: Australia
Re: fabarm asper double [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #345379 - 27/09/20 10:09 AM

I have the same issue with the factory sights as 450 mentioned above and I am trying to find a lover base for the front sight to resolve this.

Any help with finding a supplier for these sights would be appreciated.

Another option for inertia triggers when the first barrel does not fire is to quickly thump the recoil pad with the heel of your right hand ( while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction with your left hand on the fore end of the gun) reverse handing required for lefties of course. I have used this technique on occasion with my Franchi O/U trap gun and also tested that it works with the Fabarm Asper, it does require a fairly solid and sharp thump to approximate recoil to do this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8659

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com