Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Jeffery double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
New Jeffery double rifle
      #284197 - 21/06/16 02:56 AM

Pugwash sent me these photos and comments and will answer questions.

New Jeffery rifle back from stocking.

Its a 450/400 based on an original Leonard built rifle very similar to the Jim Corbett one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #284205 - 21/06/16 04:44 AM

Looks very nice, I just hope they do not engrave it too much.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #284210 - 21/06/16 05:04 AM

I like the stocking lines on this rifle too. Nice walnut as well. The metalwork and stocking all looks in balance. It looks like this NEW Jeffery will bring credit to the old rifle name.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #284237 - 21/06/16 10:44 AM

Very nice. Looks like original type eyelets for traditional sling attachments.
Any stock dimensions ?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: ozhunter]
      #284245 - 21/06/16 12:37 PM

I have room for its Bro.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pugwash
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/07
Loc: Scotland,UK
Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #284248 - 21/06/16 03:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

Firstly thankyou John for posting the photo's for me.
The rifle will be engraved as the originals were with large scroll and then colour case hardened.The plan was to stick as closely as possible to an original rifle so that the character wasn't lost.
The sling eyelet's are again as the original.I have found a person who will make the vintage gated type sling hooks to match.
Weight wise it comes in at 10 1/4lb as the original.I realised a long time ago that when these rifles were originally made the blokes knew exactly what they were doing.They're impossible to improve upon so why bother trying.
If anyone has any questions please ask away and I'll do my best to answer everything.

Mark

gryphon
.450 member

Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: Pugwash]
      #284250 - 21/06/16 04:14 PM

Quote:

They're impossible to improve upon so why bother trying.

I`m not so sure on that,there always seems someone on here that 'would rather'

Great rifle and a credit to your skills Pugwash.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #284259 - 21/06/16 08:41 PM

Quote:

They're impossible to improve upon so why bother trying.

As a long-time Jeffery .400 owner I have no trouble concurring absolutely with that statement!
The example in my custody is an ejector, 10 pounds even, 24-inch chopper-lump tubes with 3rd bite, made by Charles Leonard in 1939 if I recall the completion date correctly.
I may one day own better rifles, but will go to my grave without owning a better hunting rifle!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

pondoro62
.224 member

Reged: 15/12/12
Loc: Norway
Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #284261 - 21/06/16 10:06 PM

Pugwash....a lovely rifle, very true to the old Jefferys...

Do you have any plans on revival of the snap-actions...in .577 and .600NE..??

That would be the icing on the cake..!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: pondoro62]
      #284270 - 22/06/16 01:15 AM

Mark,

No problem posting the photos. Only problem is usually time to do it. Always happy to post photos when I can of interesting rifles especially from new gunmakers. NE is happy to support new and good gunmakers.

You may have told me already. Or on the forums previously. I would have to check. But the files were titled "Woodward and Jeffery". Can you tell us about yourself, the gunmaker, the business etc? Please feel free.

As a Jeffery user, in .450 No. 2 NE, I do like the style, and I also like it, even given my rifle's weight. It has taken a couple elephant, numerous water buffalo, and scrub bulls, pigs, donkeys, a deer or two and other beasties. I reach for it very readily for a hunt. It would take a lot for me to surplant it with something else.

Ha ha, and those beasties are only its legacy during my use of it. If we assume it was made early 1900's - no one has ever dated it for me! - I can only wonder who and for what it was used for in its earlier life. Probably in India.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pugwash
.300 member

#284286 - 22/06/16 04:27 AM

Just to answer a couple of the questions asked and give you a bit of background info.

The stock dimensions on this rifle are Length of pull measured from between the triggers is 14 3/4" plus a 1/2" recoil pad.It has been made this long as currently it doesn't have an owner and from this it can be lengthened or shortened to suit most people.Bend at front of comb 1 3/4" off the sights.Bend at the back is 2 1/4".Cast off 1/8" at the top of the stock and 3/16" at the toe.The length of the grip from between the triggers is 4 1/8".It comes up really nicely and will shoot where pointed.

As far as the snap underlever rifles are concerned I would love to make some.I picked up a very rare 450/400 underlever not to long ago to use as a pattern and have a couple of 600's at my disposal to also use as patterns if needed.As with all these things it down to demand.These kind of rifles are expensive to make so to do a small run of say 3,I would have to have some confirmed orders first.At the moment there will only be 3 of these top lever rifles and then we'll see how we go.I am also building a copy of the Fletcher Jaimeson .500 bolt acton rifle.This has been ongoing for a long time but hopefully I will be able to get on with it again soon.It has a Golmatic Magnum Mauser action with a cut rifled 5 groove barrel by Arthur Smith.

Briefly,I have worked as a Gunmaker for almost 37 years now,starting with a 5 year apprenticeship in the machine shop at Holland and Holland.I was taught to action by a ex Boss actioner and spent about 4 years working with him.I won't bore you with all the details but I've also done work for Purdey's,Hartmann and Weiss,Churchills,Dickson's,I spent 12 years working for Peter Nelson,I recently spent 1 1/2 years in Westley Richards helping with their production and training the lads and now I do most of my work for Boss and Co making shotguns.To say I have some experience of best quality guns would be an understatement.

The Jeffery project was something I felt would be a nice thing to do.As already said,these rifles are the best hunting rifles you can get.I would love this to be a roaring success and only build Jeffery rifles and shotguns for the rest of my days,so hopefully once this rifle is finished it will generate the interest to keep W.J.Jeffery in production,making the great firearms it should have been making all along.

Many thanks

Mark

gryphon
.450 member

#284288 - 22/06/16 04:41 AM

Holy shit your credentials are fantastic...(doffs lid) Keep on posting those wonderful rifle pics please.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #284295 - 22/06/16 06:10 AM

Quote:

Just to answer a couple of the questions asked and give you a bit of background info.

The stock dimensions on this rifle are Length of pull measured from between the triggers is 14 3/4" plus a 1/2" recoil pad.It has been made this long as currently it doesn't have an owner and from this it can be lengthened or shortened to suit most people.Bend at front of comb 1 3/4" off the sights.Bend at the back is 2 1/4".Cast off 1/8" at the top of the stock and 3/16" at the toe.The length of the grip from between the triggers is 4 1/8".It comes up really nicely and will shoot where pointed.

As far as the snap underlever rifles are concerned I would love to make some.I picked up a very rare 450/400 underlever not to long ago to use as a pattern and have a couple of 600's at my disposal to also use as patterns if needed.As with all these things it down to demand.These kind of rifles are expensive to make so to do a small run of say 3,I would have to have some confirmed orders first.At the moment there will only be 3 of these top lever rifles and then we'll see how we go.I am also building a copy of the Fletcher Jaimeson .500 bolt acton rifle.This has been ongoing for a long time but hopefully I will be able to get on with it again soon.It has a Golmatic Magnum Mauser action with a cut rifled 5 groove barrel by Arthur Smith.

Briefly,I have worked as a Gunmaker for almost 37 years now,starting with a 5 year apprenticeship in the machine shop at Holland and Holland.I was taught to action by a ex Boss actioner and spent about 4 years working with him.I won't bore you with all the details but I've also done work for Purdey's,Hartmann and Weiss,Churchills,Dickson's,I spent 12 years working for Peter Nelson,I recently spent 1 1/2 years in Westley Richards helping with their production and training the lads and now I do most of my work for Boss and Co making shotguns.To say I have some experience of best quality guns would be an understatement.

The Jeffery project was something I felt would be a nice thing to do.As already said,these rifles are the best hunting rifles you can get.I would love this to be a roaring success and only build Jeffery rifles and shotguns for the rest of my days,so hopefully once this rifle is finished it will generate the interest to keep W.J.Jeffery in production,making the great firearms it should have been making all along.

Many thanks

Mark

Holey Dooley!
I can't imagine the time (hence the necessary expense)to get to the pinnacle of rifle making, especially doubles. Quite frankly I could flit time away quite happily just watching the progress on such a rifle - would be a rare privilege to do so!
Might be a extra income just having folks look (& not touch the tools)to see how such masterpieces are made!
Keep up the good work....If I win Lotto big time then you're on!
93x64mm

ozhunter
.400 member

Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #284327 - 22/06/16 07:02 PM

No expert here but would have thought to retain traditional features you would have more like 2 3/4 at the heal? Please let us know your thoughts.
Regards,
Adam

Pugwash
.300 member

#284329 - 22/06/16 07:20 PM

I've just checked it and it is in fact 2 1/2" at the heal.The stock measurements were what was requested by Jeffery's American Riflemakers at Beuhler custom sporting arms as that is most likely where it will end up.Also the cheekpiece which is also non traditional but these days everyone has to have one.If I'd built the rifle for myself I would have left it off.
Regardless of this the rifle handles extremely well.I'm 5ft 7" tall and of medium build and although a touch on the longside I could use it.

Mark

ozhunter
.400 member

#284330 - 22/06/16 07:46 PM

Beautiful rifle Sir, sadly the Americans have standardised the telescopic sight equiped straight stock even with open sight set rifles .
Cheek pieces are nice but if custom made certainly not necessary. I'm having a 458Lott made at the moment built in the lines of the older Rigby. One of which I recently handled (in 350Rig) and what a beauty to point.
Any photos of the front sight?

Pugwash
.300 member

#284333 - 22/06/16 09:05 PM

Front sight's not finished yet.It was requested with flip forward protector so is a bit different to standard.It'll be like a Westley type protector but the other way round.They wanted it attached to the rifle as people tend to lose the slide on ones.At the moment this will be the only one of the 3 rifles with this type of front sight.The other 2 will have a standard Jeffery type front sight block.Also the quarter rib has been made like the Jeffery sidelock rifle ones.These are a bit more elegant than the normal block fronted type quarter rib on these rifles.

ozhunter
.400 member

#284334 - 22/06/16 09:22 PM

A flip up Ivory bead?

ozhunter
.400 member

#284336 - 22/06/16 09:33 PM

Here's some pictures of an older Jeffery, another beauty;

Pugwash
.300 member

#284337 - 22/06/16 10:12 PM

Very nice.This one is on a Number 3 type action.The one I've made is on a Number 2 type action.Back in the day the Number 2 rifles were around £15 more than the Number 3 rifles.£85 compared to £70.The non ejectors were about £10 less on both models.Those were the days!

gryphon
.450 member

Re: New Jeffery double rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #284347 - 23/06/16 06:18 AM

Quote:

Keep up the good work....If I win Lotto big time then you're on!
93x64mm

Make that 2x!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#284375 - 23/06/16 10:50 PM

Quote:

This one is on a Number 3 type action.The one I've made is on a Number 2 type action.Back in the day the Number 2 rifles were around £15 more than the Number 3 rifles.£85 compared to £70.

I'll take THREE!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pugwash
.300 member

#284386 - 24/06/16 02:04 AM

I checked the daybook entry for the rifle I used as a pattern and in 1905 it cost £45.It was a special one aswell as it had a peepsight on it.

ozhunter
.400 member

#284400 - 24/06/16 07:48 AM

Would love to see pictures of the peep sight as I have a friend who is considering one due to failing sight focus

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #284401 - 24/06/16 08:27 AM

Quote:

Would love to see pictures of the peep sight as I have a friend who is considering one due to failing sight focus

Ditto.

That is one beautiful looking rifle and the length of pull is just about spot on for me. Please keep the photos of your progress with this rifle coming.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15720

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com