Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis UGEX and Recknagel Mounts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Eck
.275 member

Reged: 10/09/06
Loc: Burke, VA
Chapuis UGEX and Recknagel Mounts
      #204585 - 06/03/12 11:42 AM

I recently purchased a UGEX in 9.3X47R, and am interested in scoping it (Leupold VariXIII 1.5-5X).

I'm looking for some input from folks that have these rifles and scope mounts - how much higher does the center of the scope sit than the iron sights? Enough to be very noticeable when shouldering the rifle?

The reason I ask, is my new rifle is stocked almost like it was made for me - the iron sights come perfectly to my eye when I bring the rifle up to my shoulder.

I know claw mounts will sit lower than the swing type (I have rifles with both, and prefer the claw mounts . . . but they are much more expensive) but am trying to decide if I really need to spend the money for claw mounts.

Thanks in advance-

John

Edited by Eck (06/03/12 02:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Chapuis UGEX and Recknagle Mounts [Re: Eck]
      #204591 - 06/03/12 01:52 PM

I think that mine are EAW possibly Reck's ( only marked with Chapuis emblem) with the twist/swing. I like them fine but I also prefer the claws.
What measurement do you want and I'll open the safe and get it for you.
I've already got the Leupy 1.5X5

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Chapuis UGEX and Recknagle Mounts [Re: AkMike]
      #204592 - 06/03/12 01:58 PM

Quote:

I think that mine are EAW possibly Reck's ( only marked with Chapuis emblem) with the twist/swing. I like them fine but I also prefer the claws.
What measurement do you want and I'll open the safe and get it for you.
I've already got the Leupy 1.5X5

Chapuis branded bases = Recknagel

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Eck
.275 member

#204593 - 06/03/12 02:00 PM

Mike-

Appreciate the offer on the measurements. I'm looking more for your take on the difference (admittedly qualitative vs. quantitative) on how the rifle comes up with the scope mounted, vs. iron sights. Is there a noticeable difference in how low/high one is over the other?

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
      #204594 - 06/03/12 02:12 PM

I have this same set up but with a Trijicon 1.25X4. It's a nice setup but I had a hell of a time getting a load that would regulate with the scope on. Scope off, just about anything I fed it was OK. I've spoken with several other guys with the same rifle and most have not had the regulation issue with the scope. I hope your's goes smoothly.

Eck
.275 member

Re: Chapuis UGEX and Recknagle Mounts [Re: HogPilot]
      #204596 - 06/03/12 02:32 PM

Thanks! From what I've read, it can be a crapshoot re scoping and regulation; the heavier the scope, the more likely things go crazy.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #204597 - 06/03/12 03:22 PM

Thanks Jeff! I didn't remember for sure!

I need to 'snuggle down' pretty good to use the irons but the scope is fine. I didn't have much trouble getting a good load with IMR4831. I use the cheapie Privi bullets from MidwayUSA for most use. They're good up to moose.

I got mine thru Dale Nygaard and recommend him. He'll get it regualated up to 100 yds with a scope mounted.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

THS
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Norway
      #204609 - 06/03/12 07:42 PM

EAW, Recknagel (ERA) and MAK all make mounts for Chapuis double rifles.

www.eaw.de
www.recknagel.de
www.mak.ag/catalog/

All of these are very good and fine made, but MAK offers the lowest mounting option with only 12mm build height. On a double rifle it wont be practical with any lower - as you need some space between the scope and opening lever in order to reload your rifle without to much effort.

So in my opinion claw mounts would look the nicest - but wont offer anything usefull regarding mount height, because there is a limit how low a scope can be mounted because of the opening lever.

I can post a picture of my mount later:-)

THS
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Norway
Re: Chapuis UGEX and Recknagle Mounts [Re: THS]
      #205972 - 26/03/12 01:53 AM

Here is a picture of my Chapuis with a MAK mount:

As you can see, it will not be possible to operate the rifle if it was mounted any lower, unless you use a scope with even less eyepiece diameter than the Leupold 1.5-5x24 mounted here or a very tiny tumb:-)

Here is a picture of a Recknagel (ERA) mount for a 30mm tube:

I used that one for a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 scope - but felt it upset the balance of the rifle, so I now use the lighter and more compact Leupold 1.5-5x24. As seen in this picture the Recknagel mounts have a slightly higher build height as well.

Edited by CptCurl (26/03/12 10:28 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5665

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com