Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikal Double Gun - Warning/Fix

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DBLGN
.224 member

Reged: 16/10/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Baikal Double Gun - Warning/Fix
      #201640 - 04/02/12 10:42 AM

I haven't seen much chatter about the Baikal double rifles since the Sabattis have hit the scene, but I know folks that have Baikals are still out there, so I will post this information.

I have had two in the shop in the last two weeks and both of them had the same basic problem. One went off when the gun was closed, the other was doubling.

The problem with both guns was that the bushings that hold the pins in place in the back of the action (yeah, they have bushed pins, but the bushings are inside the action rather than on the breech face), were loose, and when tightened, pushed the strikers (firing pins) out of the front breech face - the noses of the strikers were too long. This caused one gun to fire on closing, and the other to double.

I think the reason these guns did not initially start with the problem, is because the bushings were loose, and after repeated shooting, they started to work their way in, creating the situation described above.

The solution is quite simple, turn the bushing all the way in until it is snug. This will require a spanner screwdriver (see the photo on the bottom of page 103 of the 2nd Edition of "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions") with the "flares" on the blade ground to make the blade portion more cylindrical to fit the round cut in the back of the frame. With the bushing tight (I do one side at a time), measure the amount of protrusion you have on the striker. Remove the bushing and the striker, and polish the nose of the striker, removing the same amount of material as you had protrusion plus .002"-.003". Re-install the striker, striker return spring, and bushing until the bushing is snug against the frame. Verify that the striker is no longer protruding out the front of the standing breech. If all is well, back the bushing out about 2/3rds of the way, put a drop of blue Loctite on the bushing, and reseat it. Repeat this with the other side.

This has solved problem with both guns.

Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Baikal Double Gun - Warning/Fix [Re: DBLGN]
      #201655 - 04/02/12 12:49 PM

tks for this information.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com