Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
archeryblackdog
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/10
Loc: Tx
Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!!
      #162250 - 18/06/10 06:59 AM

Hello Everyone; Before anything else I like to thank you all for admitting me to your website and forums since as you can see I am new to the site and this is my 1st post; I do not even know if I am posting this thread in the correct section.

In form of introduction I can say that have een an avid hunter all of my life, mainly active in the local game, Deer, Hogs, Coyotes, I have done my share of exotics and a pretty good round of nilgai hunting, elk, buffalo, antelope, mountain lion, I been very lucky to do a couple of trips to Africa, I have also hunted Mexico and in late fall I will be going to hunt in Spain.

Since my hunting career has mainly call for bolt action rifles in semi large calibers, 300 WinMag, 338 and such that is what I been shooting, I enjoy good quality rifles toped with fine optics. since I am attracted to Big bores i own a very nice .375H&H and even a nice custom made 505 Gibbs.

I have always admire Double Rifles, but since I had hardly been able to see a couple and since they where completely out of my price range I really never cared for educating me much about Doubles so my knowledge of them is ZERO . I now have an opportunity to pick a double in Layaway which makes it affordable for me.

I would like to request your help in making an educated descision in one of the next two options.

1) Pre Owned Merkel 140-2 (like new) in .470 NE for $ 9,500.00 USD
2) Brand New Chapuis PH-1 African in .470 NE For $ 14,500.00 USD

I know little about Merkel and even less about Chapouis; so your input is very appreciated.

Please fire Away!!!
Chapuis PH1 .470 NE Vs Merkel 140-2 .470 NE
You may choose only one
Merkel 140-2 .470 NE
Chapuis PH-1 African .470 NE.

Votes accepted from (18/06/10 06:58 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: archeryblackdog]
      #162251 - 18/06/10 07:18 AM

Welcome to the forums, archeryblackdog.

My vote is for the used Merkel. I have one in .500NE, so I know from personal experience they are great rifles. Look how much money you save - $5k. For that you can go a long way with something else.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
      #162252 - 18/06/10 07:22 AM

Both brands have a good reputation. Personally, I would take the Merkel, as it appears to be the better deal for someone who is cost-conscious.

However, double rifles are for fast, reactive shooting. Therefore, I would get my hands on both of them to see how they mount and handle for you. First, pick one up, close your eyes, mount the gun in one fluid motion and see how the iron sights line up for you after you open your eyes again. Ideally, the fit should be like a well-fitting shotgun, with which you shoot where you look, without the need to correct the mount. Then swing and point the gun, - if it feels like a natural extension of you, then it's the one you need to buy. You can have SLIGHT modifications done to the stock to make it fit you (short of restocking completely), but a gun that feels like a cooked noodle in your hands will not give you the satisfaction that shooting a well-fitting double can give you.

archeryblackdog
.224 member

Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #162257 - 18/06/10 07:52 AM

Thanks for both of your responses I do feel some what inclined for the Merkel; I have handled both rifles and the both feel pretty good; The Chapuis is heavier, and I really do not know if this works in favor or agains in a double, I know that a heavier rifle will recoil less but i do not know if that will make it more difficult to handle or on the contraries easier to point and more steady to aim.

I look forward to keep on hearing more opinions!!!

Thanks Again!

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #162259 - 18/06/10 08:10 AM

Volkswagen vs Peugeot

--------------------
~

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: Grenadier]
      #162261 - 18/06/10 08:57 AM

Archeryblackdog,

heavier doubles swing better into the target and are much more steady in shooting off-hand or over African sticks. And it does cut recoil quite a lot. My own .470 is quite heavy at 11.5 pounds, but well-balanced and therefore 'feels light', shoots very steady, and recoil even with heaviest loads is not an issue (my light .404 Jeff at 9 pounds is much worse). If you get a good sling, carrying it around will not tire you - I use a Niggeloh padded leather sling which is fairly wide, nicely distributing the weight, looks good with a double, too. With this one, I can walk for miles and miles without feeling the weight.

Here is the link for the sling I use, highly recommended:

http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/produc...18&vmcchk=1

And since you mentioned recoil: I would have a Kick-EEZ Safari recoil pad installed, it works very, very well.

Edited by 404bearslayer (18/06/10 09:43 AM)

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #162277 - 18/06/10 05:52 PM

Merkel - if nothing else you save 5K - further on, Chapuis' price range is getting you pretty close to Heym. If I'd be buying a double in that price range I'd get Heym - no doubt.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: 93mouse]
      #162280 - 18/06/10 07:29 PM

Hi Archeryblackdog,

If you want a traditional style sling, one that is very popular and first class in construction and materials, is at this site.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Regards,

Jeff Gray

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #162281 - 18/06/10 07:40 PM

Good link, there, Jeff - Thanks!

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #162285 - 18/06/10 08:46 PM

I've had both and prefer the Merkel.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: bonanza]
      #162287 - 18/06/10 08:58 PM

Hi Ben,

He is a very nice guy, takes Visa and sends stuff the same day, I had 2 in just a week.

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

Kebco
.300 member

Reged: 22/05/06
Loc: PA, USA
      #162293 - 18/06/10 10:38 PM

Chapuis and Merkel are both production grade guns of similar quality. In my experience the Chapuis will be better finished, especially the wood. I am not familiar with a Chapuis PH-1, is this the same as the Brousse model? If it is the same as the Brousse $14,500 sounds strong (you can get a made to your specifications Verney-Carron PH or Std model for less pdf catalog here www.verney-carron.us ).
If you can live with a 500NE, I have a like new with box and paperwork Merkel, game scene engraved, double triggers, ejectors for $8750 shipping paid to your FFL in the first 48 states.

archeryblackdog
.224 member

Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: Kebco]
      #162297 - 18/06/10 11:38 PM

Kebco:

Thank you for your offer on the .500 I will consider it; however I do prefer a .470, since I already own a 505 Gibbs even when its not a double.

I will also look at the custom made that you recommend.

I feel everyones opinions very neutral over both Guns if I have this right.

a) They are both Production Guns and by no means jewels.
b) Markel since to have a bit more popularity.
c) Chapuis it's a nicer gun.

I will tray to research the weight on the Chapuis since the weight on the Merkel shall be listed in the Web Specifications.

Does anyone knows which ammo will regulate the best with this doubles?

Cheers.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #162343 - 19/06/10 03:31 PM

I would buy the Merkel and made the choice without even looking at the price and that the Merkel is much cheaper being pre-owned. Which makes the decision even easier.

Just my preferences, I prefer the Merkel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

jcs271
.224 member

Reged: 28/07/09
Loc: Still Free State of Montana
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: NitroX]
      #163927 - 13/07/10 07:28 AM

Or if you are shopping for GREAT value, consider one of these in 470 at $5500 w/ejectors. Lots of very happy customers posting lots of positive reports on the different african/double rifle sites. Do some research before you buy. Then when you find the right rifle at a good price you will have no regrets and get exactly what you want. Hold them all BEFORE you buy, fit is everything!

Here is a link, this rifle is 450ne but 470s are also available, good luck
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...oryId=SEARCH_gl

--------------------
"carrying a fine rifle in good country makes a man feel like a King."

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: jcs271]
      #163934 - 13/07/10 09:43 AM

Hi jcs271,

Your right on the mark, I said in another section, having just bought a Sabatti in .450 N.E. 3.25" the workmanship is every bit as good as the Chapuis that I had to sell during my divorce. My only complaint is that the recoil pad supplied on the rife is useless and has since been replaced. The ammunition that they regulate each rifle with depends on the caliber and in my case Kynamco is not available in Australia whereas the .470 is regulated with Norma that is available.

Just something to think about,

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

jcs271
.224 member

Reged: 28/07/09
Loc: Still Free State of Montana
      #164580 - 20/07/10 02:45 AM

I also replaced the recoil pad on my .450 with one from Limbsaver which is nothing short of exceptional. All of the 450's are now regulated with Hornady ammo. Not sure about the other calibers though. If you buy from Cabelas they are usually posting a picture of the final regulation target and the load will be written on the bottom of the page. If not, call the store and they will pull the target and tell you what ammo was used.

--------------------
"carrying a fine rifle in good country makes a man feel like a King."

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
      #169330 - 11/10/10 03:42 AM

I like the Chapuis as they are built like a tank and will definitely be around for the long haul! If you don't mind the extra cost, buy the Chapuis.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: doubleriflenut]
      #169338 - 11/10/10 07:41 AM

I voted for the Merkel, but whichever you go make sure that it fits you properly as that will go along way towards taming recoil and making it easier to shoot accurately.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #169341 - 11/10/10 08:01 AM

If you're still in the market for a 470.
There's a NIB Merkel up here for sale. Not mine but it's close to here.8K with some ammo.

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_General/63_Guns_Hunting/92175_Merkel_470_Nitro_Express.html

BTW I voted for Chapuis because I have a 9.3 from them and love it.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

RigbyUser
.275 member

Reged: 23/11/08
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Merkel Vs Chapuis? Avise Please!!! [Re: AkMike]
      #169613 - 15/10/10 09:26 PM

I own a Chapuis and like it a lot, I've played with a few Merkel's and prefer the Chapuis, that's why I currently still own mine.
I like the suggestion of checking both out and buying the one that suits you best. Fit and handling of a double is paramount. After all this is one of its main advantages over other types of firearms.

I think price should be a secondary consideration ( assuming you're paying market value for each ). Either way, you're going to pay many thousands for a fair double, $1-$2K variation either way is irrelevant in the long run. My opinion anyway.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10067
Calendar Event: 18/06/10

Rate this topic

Jump to