Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope recommendation?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
hoser
.275 member

Reged: 06/01/10
Loc: California, USA
Scope recommendation?
      #153770 - 15/02/10 10:46 AM

Looking for a scope recommendation for my Chapuis sxs 9.3x74R. I have a standard crosshair Leupold 1.5X5 sitting in the safe. That may work, but am open to other suggestions (1" vs 30mm, fixed vs variable, illuminated or not, ect). Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: hoser]
      #153777 - 15/02/10 11:36 AM

Swarovski Z6i 1-6 x 24 EE (illuminated with extended eye relief)

Goes down to 1x, so you can shoot with both eyes open at moving game, at 6x you can do distance shooting, faint dot for shooting at night, flash dot for shooting during daylight at moving game. Biggest eye relief of any scope currently on the market.

calpappas
.275 member

Reged: 15/10/09
Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #153792 - 15/02/10 01:45 PM

404's scope is great. I have a Swarovski 1.25-4 30mm on my .450-400 and have taken lots of game in Africa and Alaska with it. Personally I feel a European scope looks best on a double but the cost may not justify it. a 30mm sure brings in more light.
Cheers,
Cal Pappas

--------------------

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: calpappas]
      #153808 - 15/02/10 04:29 PM

Leupold 1.5X5 - Holds up the best with the big bores

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: crkennedy1]
      #153814 - 15/02/10 07:32 PM

Hi hoser,

As I said before, S&B 1.1-4x24 Zenith with the FD7 illuminated reticle works brilliantly and looks the part and has great field of view, 36 meters @ 100 meters @ 1.1. Check out their website re the FD7 reticle. www.schmidtbender.com

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Charls
.275 member

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: South Africa
      #153820 - 15/02/10 09:24 PM

I see that the Leupold is quite popular- however it is not to be recommended. A friend of mine, Carl, has had 2 VX3 1.5-5x20 go bust on him. He had them mounted on a .458WM, the 1st one broke after +/- 250 shots, it was replaced by a new one that he bought while the other one was off to Leupold for repairs) and that packed up after 150 shots, 1 week before his buffalo hunt. Both have been returned to Leupold and their response has been extremely dissapointing. No refund, no new scopes and in fact it was said to him that (by Garth Kendig of Leupold) the scope was better to use on 375 or similar calibers. Huh??? He was then told to try their FX2 2.5x Ultralight. Like he would ever trust a Leupold again, especially on a rifle built for dangerous game hunting! These scopes were to ensure a SAFE AND RELIABLE hunt that was, a once in a lifetime opportunity, was very expensive, and possibly dangerous and the best Leupold could do was to recommend another scope. Imagine the liability to Leupold if something happened during a follow-up. So much for lifetime gaurantee.
Regards,
Charl

pablo_mauser_66
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Australia, Sydney
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: Charls]
      #153822 - 15/02/10 09:39 PM

Meopta Meostar 1-4x22 K-dot, field of view 37m/100m, 4 inches of eye relief, arguably the best value Euro glass for light transmission just beneath Swarovski/Diavari/Khales. I will be getting one of these when I finish my 404J, hopefully later this year.

Cheers Steve

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: pablo_mauser_66]
      #153824 - 15/02/10 10:19 PM

I think every scope maker has some bad stories.
I have had a Meopta that wouldn't hold zero & was replaced.
A Leupold that came apart inside and was repaired.
A mate had a whole turret fall off a Khales and was repaired.

If you beleive what you read Leupold has beefed up the new VX-3's. As a percentage I dont think Leupold has a great deal more failures than other company's. I still beleive quality starts at Leupold. Personally I want to spend the extra $1500 on hunting but if money was no object I would own all European scope's. I will be putting a VX-3 1.5-5x20 with German 4 reticle on my 404 to take to Africa and if it fails I will use the express sights I paid a lot of money to have regulated and fitted !!!.

That's only my opinion.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

sambarstalker
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/09
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: pablo_mauser_66]
      #153825 - 15/02/10 11:02 PM

G´day Hoser

I have a Zeiss Diavari on my 9.3. You may need to fit a rubber slip-on pad for the stock. I would also suggest you look at Quick detachable mounts, preferably the spring loaded type, so the line of the scope is not too high. If you are as old as me, you would need a good scope. My days of iron sights have long since gone. You would only need 1 - 6 x magnification, I think for most shots.

A scope is something that can be moved from rifle to rifle, so it´s worth getting a good one. I am not so keen on the Kahles, but Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender and Swarovski are, I think good brands.

I had a Leupold on a .458 and it fell to pieces.

Cheers, sambarstalker

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: sambarstalker]
      #153833 - 16/02/10 01:24 AM

I'm amazed at the Leupold horror stories. I have used Leupold scopes, in particular the 1.5-5X Vari-X III for years with never a bobble. Does anyone know what the nature of the problem was? Saying the scope "fell to pieces" is not very informative.

My objection to European scopes in general is best illustrated here: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2654715

The scope mounted on the rifle completely overpowers it, and if that were not enough, there is an even larger scope waiting in the wings. I have no idea what the eye relief of these behemoths might be, but the way they are mounted they are almost guaranteed to come into contact with the shooter's forehead.

My .458 Winchester Magnum and .450 Watts bolt guns both have Lyman Alaskans mounted, and my .577 bolt gun has a 2 1/2X Noske: nothing like 1930's technology. What those two scopes have in common with their contemporary Zeiss Zielklein, other than the 22mm diameter bodies, is their extreme light weight (8 oz. in the case of the Noske and the Alaskan, and 10 oz. for the Zielklein), which offers the least resistance to heavy recoil. A scope like those pictured in the eGun auction represents an amount of weight (mass) which is guaranteed to put a terrific strain on the mounts used in combination with rifles and cartridges generating significant recoil.

Would the posters with bad experiences with Leupold scopes please give precise descriptions of what went wrong and what the circumstances were?

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: xausa]
      #153853 - 16/02/10 05:36 AM

I'll be interested to hear too Xausa. A couple of people on here have said they have had Leupold problems and while I have an S&B on the double I have 2 Leopold scopes that have never given me any problem whatsoever and I am always reading that their after service and warranty are UNEQUALLED anywhere. I would be very surprised if any of their VXII or VXIII models have given any problems assuming they were on decent mounts, best, Mike

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #153854 - 16/02/10 05:42 AM

The only problems with Leupolds I've seen, is nil, while 'almost' every Zeiss exposed to a wet 10 day hunt has fogged. Swaroski's also stayed clear, as did Bushnel 3200's and 4200's.
I have seen guys come in from a day's -35 moose hunt with their cheap muzzleloading production rifles (I'm being nice calling them rifles), remove the barrel from the stock and shove the breech, including the ocular lense of a 4X Leuy into almost boiling hot water right off the top of a wood stove, yet never saw one fog or fail - frightening to watch.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: DarylS]
      #153864 - 16/02/10 07:00 AM

Hoser's already got a piece of the best glass around sitting in his safe.. IMO Use it!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

hoser
.275 member

Reged: 06/01/10
Loc: California, USA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: AkMike]
      #153875 - 16/02/10 10:16 AM

Yeah, I'll probably use until it breaks! It seems to be the right power. I kind of wish it was illuminated, but it's paid for so what the heck! I'll just pick up some 1" rings and mounts!

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #153876 - 16/02/10 10:46 AM

I'd be very surprised if you have problems with it on your 9.3.. I sure like it on mine.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: calpappas]
      #153899 - 16/02/10 10:16 PM

Quote:

Personally I feel a European scope looks best on a double but the cost may not justify it.

I wouldn't have minded spending the money for a Swarovski for the .450/.400, Cal. It was the $2500 Heym wanted for the mount that called my bluff.

- Paul

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: Paul]
      #153902 - 16/02/10 11:56 PM

I like the Leopold 2x7

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Charls
.275 member

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: South Africa
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: xausa]
      #153903 - 16/02/10 11:57 PM

Xausa,
The 1st scope lost focus and when removed from the gun and you shook it, something was loose inside the scope. The 2nd one also lost focus and the magnifier wouldn't move. The 1st scope has since been returned from Leupold (after 3 months) and the service report says 'retor system replaced'. The 2nd scope has not been returned from Leupold. By the way, the scopes were mounted on a Mauser 98 with Lynx mounts (Australian).
Regards,
Charl

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: Charls]
      #154199 - 19/02/10 12:35 PM

After 25 years of HARD hunting all over Alaska, for weeks at a time, i've yet to have a Leupold or Zeiss scope fog internally or fail in any way. I just bought a new scope last week for my Chapuis, and i bought a Leupold VX111 1.75-6x32. I'll bet you it will be just like all the rest of the Leupolds i've had over the years, and work perfectly.

If it doesn't, i WILL report exactly what happened on this forum, but i've seen so many Leupolds work perfectly, i have full confidence in my purchase.

DM

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #154303 - 21/02/10 02:55 AM

Hoser,
Use the scope you've got, it is plenty tough enough for the caliber. I have owned around a dozen Leupold scopes and have never had any fogging problems or other breakdowns with any of them. I once bought a 12 power target scope from a friend who didn't have any faith in them fixing it up for him. It had the target dot reticle in it and the reticle was broken. I called their service department and asked them what it would cost to fix it. The lady on the other end told me to send it to them, insured and well packed. I asked again what it would cost me and she replied that it would only cost me the shipping to get it to them. I mailed it out to them and paid the shipping one way only, they fixed it, and went completely through it, and sent it back to me in about a month like new, at their expense. Other than this one time, that's the only repairs I have had done and was told they stand behind all their products whether you buy them new or used! I was grateful and pleasantly surprised by their lifetime repair or replacement policy. You don't find that much any more with any company. Bob H.

9dot3x74R
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/10
Loc: Tasmania
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #154413 - 22/02/10 08:24 AM

Has anyone tried mounting a handgun scope on a double?

I like the idea of being able to mount it without the ocular protruding past the barrels, it would be much neater and I think a handgun scope would have the correct eye relief. Possibly a 2x fixed Leupold?

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It arrived !!!

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: 9dot3x74R]
      #154422 - 22/02/10 10:32 AM

9dot3x74R,

before you do that, try an AIMPOINT, made for rifles, very light and eye relief not an issue.

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #154436 - 22/02/10 11:31 AM

I had a problem with a Leupold 1.5 X 5 on my .375. It would go out of focus at 5X. Sent it to Leupold, they returned it in about a week, fixed. I recomended the same scope to a buddy. It's mounted on a Ruger #1 45-70 shooting Elmer's load. After a few shots at 50 yards It would suddenly shoot 4 inches low. Adjust the scope, shoot a few shots 4 inches low again. Sent the scope to Leupold. They returned it with a note that said there was nothing wrong with the scope. Now, the elevation adjustment is screwed up. It gives half to three quarters movement than indicated on the turret. Sometimes it gives no adjustment. This was while trying to get 6 inches of elevation correction. I've used Leupold scopes for over 50 years, but now I'm going to think real hard about switching.

Dave

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: nopride2]
      #154475 - 22/02/10 05:02 PM

9dot3x74R
The 2x EER Leupold pistol scope will work fine on a double. They were made for heavy recoiling pistols so will stand up to the knocks on a rifle. I have exactly this model mounted forward on my Mauser .404J and it has given no problems in over thirty years.

calpappas
.275 member

Reged: 15/10/09
Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: eagle27]
      #156138 - 11/03/10 06:18 PM

Paul:
2500$ for a mount and rings? Wow! I had JJ at Champlin do the same on my .450-400 Harrison and Hussey ejector double and it was 800$. JJ is a combination artist/gunsmith.

I hated to add a scope to a vintage double but my old eyes need at least one scoped rifle in my golden years. I can shoot up to 100 yards with open sights on my larger caliber doubles with good set of glasses but for plains game and cats I needed the scope.

Cal

--------------------

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com