Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R
      #149245 - 01/01/10 06:10 PM

Happy New Year One and All:

The continuing saga of my Antonio Zoli DR has taken another step forward. I have finally obtained a box of factory ammo used to regulate my DR.

Now for the next step, I mounted bases and rings on the rifle and was using a Leupold 2x 20mm objective pistol scope with fine cross-hairs. I don't like it and want to change to another scope.

For the scope to work I need somthing with 8.5 inches of eye relief with a one inch tube. Has anyone had experience with the Leupold FX-II Scout Rifle Scope 2.5x 28mm Intermediate Eye Relief Duplex Reticle Matte?

Does anyone know of any other scopes with an 8.5 inch eye relief that will work.

If I go with the Leupold, I was going to send it back to the factory and have a German #4 reticle installed. Comments please.

By the way, I am using the rifle to hunt deer and moose in the woods of Northern Alberta; and when the house and the cottage are paid for, I am going to Afrika to hunt Cape Buff and plains game.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R [Re: carpediem4570]
      #149247 - 01/01/10 06:51 PM

Hi carpediem4570 and a Happy New Year to you and your Family, may I suggest that you read the following as it really is the same question. I personally have and use the S&B 1.1-4x24 with the FD7 reticle. Although expensive it is the Rolls Royce in my opinion and good luck with the Africa dream, I am in my sixties with bad health but I still have the same dream that I had when I was a teenager and I am hell bent on hunting Africa before I go to the hunting grounds in the sky or is that a "Sanctuary" now?? just joking...

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post149116

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #149249 - 01/01/10 10:00 PM

Hello Chapuisarmes:

I read that post earlier and as I need 8.5 inches of eye relief, the s & b will not work.

That is why I am writing in. I haven't seen any posts regarding the use of the Leupold scout scope or any other scout scope for that matter.

Keep the dream alive.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #149286 - 02/01/10 09:52 AM

Hi Carpediem

If you have a look at my post "Mauser 404" in the Mauser Rifles Forum and Archive section you will see the exact same Leupold you have, set up in a 'semi' scout position on my Mauser bolt rifle. Personally I would go with your idea of seeing if Leupold could fit another reticule in your scope. Agree the fine cross hair is probably not the best for game shooting but it is good for shots on paper. The German style reticule with four thick posts and a fine cross hair in the centre would be ideal. I would be interested myself to follow that path if Leupold could supply. Please let us know if you have any luck with this.

Biebs
.224 member

Reged: 21/12/09
Loc: NJ USA
Re: Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R [Re: eagle27]
      #149288 - 02/01/10 10:26 AM

Carpediem,
I have a Scout scope on a 700 AHR Granite Mountain bolt rifle, and it works well. However, on a double rifle, I think the Scout mounting gets too far away from tradition. I would have mounts put in the traditional location on the rifle and use a conventional scope. There's plenty of lighter-caliber double rifles that are scoped these days. You could then mount a variable of say 2 1/2x8x32 or even 3x9x40 to take advantage of the range capability of the 9.3x74R on Plains game and for longer shots at home.

Edited by Biebs (02/01/10 10:27 AM)

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R [Re: Biebs]
      #149357 - 03/01/10 10:30 AM

I was hoping to use a variable scope of low magnification, 2-7 kind of thing, but I need 8.5 inches of eye relief for this to work.

I was going to go with a Zeiss Conquest but that does not give me the eye relief I need.

Do you think the Leupold scout scope would hold up under the recoil of a 9.3x74R? I phoned Leupold Tech support and they assured me the scope would hold up. I dunno, it's a very light scope.

Happy New Year,

Carpediem

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #149379 - 03/01/10 03:39 PM

I've used the FX-II on a Steyr Scout. It was a good scope, the ones that come on the Scout have a heavy duplex so there was no issue seeing the reticle. This rifle was in .308 and I traded up to the Scout in .376 Steyr. Unfortunately, I run an Aimpoint on that rifle so I can't tell you if the FX-II would hold up to the recoil.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Leupold Scout Scope on SxS DR 9.3x74R [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #149709 - 07/01/10 05:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I will keep you posted with info and pics.

Know, I'm off to the far North for a two week stint working the oil camps of Northern Alberta.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

--------------------

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
      #149735 - 07/01/10 11:43 AM

I've been using Leupold scopes for many many years, and they do hold up to recoil with the best of them. I wouldn't worry about that, but i did buy a Zeiss Conquest for my DR, as it was better for my eyes in low light levels.

DM

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4399

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com