Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
WCF
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: georgia
A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal
      #123123 - 06/01/09 07:56 AM

Greetings all, deer season here in Georgia will be over on Jan 15th. I was blessed to have hunted the entire month of November and the last three weeks of December. For the first time in my life I spent an entire deer season with two guns that I have grown to accept as well worth the money. In the beginning I pondered different modifications and all sorts of attemted upgrades, but I have come to accept them for what they are. As previously posted the 30-06 fell two nice bucks, and the 45-70 two fat does. I alternated hunting with each rifle and they did exactly what they were intended to do. The function was flawless and after some trigger I had no complaints at all. I had mounted a scope on both but later decided to put a peep on the 45-70. I didn't hunt any differently than I would had I been carrying any other gun. I have read good and bad reports for each of these guns and can only attest to my experience. These were never meant to compete with the high grade guns but thats ok, mine shoots where they aim and they have two barrels sitting side by side. The economy may look dim and the world in disaray, but with a double in your hands all seems at peace. My long shot was 60 yards with the 30-06 and 35 yards with the 45-70. I hope all have the same luck as I with their Rem/Baikal's. Well it's back to the salt mines. God Bless all.

wcf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal [Re: WCF]
      #123130 - 06/01/09 12:07 PM

tell it like it is ,great job...........

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Blank
.224 member

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Re: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal [Re: bwananelson]
      #123131 - 06/01/09 12:15 PM

Congrats. Mine didn't get bloodied this Fall, just too many things to do, but there is always Spring bear in May!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal [Re: Blank]
      #123133 - 06/01/09 12:29 PM

Good job!!

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal [Re: 9.3x57]
      #123134 - 06/01/09 01:09 PM

Way to go WCF - spot-on!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

WCF
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: georgia
Re: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal [Re: DarylS]
      #123301 - 08/01/09 02:50 AM

I forgot to mention one episode that caused a chuckle. It occurred the morning I killed the larger of the two bucks. After my brother and I had loaded the deer in my truck, the local game warden drove up to take a look. After admiring the deer he noticed the side by side rifle on the toolbox and asked what it was. Before I could answer he proclaimed it was illegal to hunt deer with a 410 shotgun. I explained it was a rifle and he stated "makes no difference if the barrels have been rifled or not, a 410 is still a 410". Since he appeared a little agitated I asked him to have a look at it. He gave it the once over and proclaimed "leave it to Remington to screw up the gun world with something like this", I explained it was actually made in Russia and began discussing my limited knowledge of double rifles. I offered to let him have a go with the rifle. We set up a target for him at 50 yards and the 30-06 did not disappoint, even in the hands of a nasayer. The end result was this gentleman is now the proud owner of a Remington/Baikal 30-06 (not mine).
have a great day

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #123349 - 08/01/09 06:40 PM

WCF,
Glad to hear those rifles of yours are doing a great job out there!

The story about the game warden is a funny one for sure and it reminds me of something that happened a few years back.

I was guiding up in north Queensland for pigs and bulls and was using a large bore double rifle for back up.
A couple of my clients who knew nothing about double rifles jokingly nicknamed my DR "the four-ten" as in 410 shotgun.

One of the clients ended up putting several shots into a good bull with very little effect, and I had to give it a Texas heart shot with "the four-ten".
Some time later the clients ended up describing their hunt to the land owner and they said something about me using "the four-ten" as a back up for bull hunting.
Of course the land owner was quite shocked to hear that I was using a tiny shotgun cartridge as back up and immediately fronted me to ask what the hell I was thinking!
When he saw "the four-ten" he really thought it was just a 410 shottie and it took some convincing that it was really capable of stopping even larger animals than bulls!
When he saw the cartridge though he worked it all out, and then there was no way he was going to fire a couple of shots from my "four-ten"!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A Deer Season with the Remington/Baikal [Re: 4seventy]
      #123527 - 10/01/09 02:59 AM

Congratulations. Glad they are working out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #123619 - 10/01/09 06:37 PM

WCF,

Congratulations, first of all.

Now the pestering from my end - why no pictures? Do post pictures of the trophy and the rifle when you have time.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3263

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com