Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My face hurts...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Kynoch
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/05
Loc: Iowa, United States
My face hurts...
      #74008 - 16/03/07 01:26 PM

...ok, not jokes like "well, it's killing me". What is it about stock dimensions and/or design that cause some stocks to sharply hit my cheekbone? Lack of cast? I can take the shoulder pounding, its the face jabs that are distracting.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: My face hurts... [Re: Kynoch]
      #74011 - 16/03/07 03:05 PM

Kynoch

Everyting to do with stocks - grip, thickness, cast, drop at heel, drop at comb, etc etc

My dentist has done well out of me - I broke a Molar at the back of my mouth completely - and it was stock design that did it + I should have held on harder - as I have 2 Identical 500 Nitro DR's and they have different stocks - one I shoot well, the other I don't - yet both guns shoot / are regulated really well.

That's why I put so much emphasis on fit and feel of a gun in a person's hands.

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #74023 - 16/03/07 11:08 PM

Kynoch

Have you thought about having the culprit re-stocked, a nice Weatherby California style sloping comb should look nice atop your double

The root cause of the phenomonen you describe was often caused by drop from nose of comb to heel, as most vintage double rifles were made expressly for use with iron express sights so the stocks were made with lots of drop, this tends to accentuate recoil and allow the muzzles to rise, far more so that the nmore modern assymetric stocks (high parallel comb) which are popular where scope use is envisaged, in the latter, recoil impulse tends to be straight back, hence more felt recoil on the shoulder but less muzzle climb and hence less chance of the comb battering the lower jaw bone.

Such things as changing the recoil pad are unlikely to solve this particular problem although recoil reducers in the stock may be of assistance.

JT

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: My face hurts... [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #74024 - 16/03/07 11:27 PM

I agree that getting your face jabbed is very distracting and can affect a followup shot---

Restocking with a stock with less drop is very helpful.
Also holding the foreend with a firm grip helps as that
control the rise somewhat due to the effects of leverage.

If you want to experiment and see the difference do shoot a big bore(416 & up) with a light foreend grip vs a tight grip.A firm hold on the foreend seems to help me from getting smacked in the cheek and getting "scope eye" with every shot,but I would bet that having the stock redone for recoil to push straight back is more important for a quick followup shot---

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: My face hurts... [Re: hoppdoc]
      #74028 - 16/03/07 11:51 PM

I took my Krieghoff 470 to a pig hunt. It's stocked left handed. I've never had it bite me yet, but my apprehension about having it happen causes my to concentrate on the setup and firing.
Numerous people around all wanted to shoot her, so I let them. All of them were right hand shooters and they all got smacked on the cheek. Some harder than others. None of them really understood the recoil of a 470 and all were taken by surprise. Needless to say the gun didn't fit any of them at all. The brave ones that tried twice held on better and concentrated on the shot didn't get hit in the cheek again.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #74034 - 17/03/07 01:28 AM

The worst I ever got "kicked" (as opposed to recoil) was when I tried to sight in a friend's Remington pump actioned rifle in .30-'06. It beat me up far worse than any of my big bores, all because of stock design.

When I had my Krieghoff Teck .458 O/U DR built back in the 70's, I took the stock measurements directly from my Perazzi sporting clays gun. Very little drop at comb and heel and minimal cast off. I have never had any problem with it, or any of my other similarly stocked guns. Later, when I had my ideal shotgun stock dimensions determined using a "try gun" at the H&H shooting grounds, the measurements were virtually identical.

All of my bolt guns, including my .505 have "classic" stocks, much like the stock on my DR. Even my .577 never punished me like that Remington.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: My face hurts... [Re: xausa]
      #74079 - 17/03/07 03:01 PM

I would rather have a .577 with a stock that fits than a .375 with a stock that does not.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: My face hurts... [Re: 500grains]
      #74556 - 25/03/07 01:18 PM

I have to agree with 500grains. Badley fitting guns will HURT you.
Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2630

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com