Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ARE O/U Actions STRONGER than SxS??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
ARE O/U Actions STRONGER than SxS??
      #67295 - 18/12/06 01:22 AM

Things have been so quiet lately I thought I would stir them up a bit!!

Spoke with a gunsmith who works on shotguns and he flatly stated that he felt the O/U action which surrounds the barrels on three sides was much stronger than the SxS action.When asked whether the O/U action would be better
for rifle calibers, he said yes!!

So much for opinion.What are the Facts?

*Is a O/U action really stronger than a SxS?
*Would such an action better contain a higher pressure cartridge better such as a 375H&H operating above the reasonable pressure levels of SxS's?
*While you cannot reload a O/U as fast as a SxS for DG--Would not such a Double gun still be perfectly adequate for a non-dangerous game scenario??

Gentlemen of the forum--Thanks for any thoughts and insights beforehand--it is much appreciated!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (18/12/06 01:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bloodnativ
.275 member

Reged: 14/11/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
Re: ARE O/U Actions STRONGER than SxS?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #67296 - 18/12/06 01:55 AM

I have wondered about this myself. I could see where there could be a basis for fact here. Being surrounded on 3 sides could theoretically (or actually) increase strength. It could also stand to reason that an O/U wouldn't generate the lateral force of recoil like a SxS does. The barrels wouldn't be trying to twist off the frame. The only problem that I see with an O/U is aesthetic. They just don't look as good as a SxS IMO. But that's not the topic here so we'll save that for another time.

Mind you this is merely speculation on my part. Though I have no DR experience yet I do have some background in physics and engineering and have read much on the subject of doule rifles and their construction (i.e. Wright, Ellis, and a few others that I can't recall without more coffee). You guys have educated me greatly on this subject. Thank you. It will be interesting to hear what some of the more experienced members have to say on the subject.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #67310 - 18/12/06 09:12 AM

This rifle gives me the impression of strength, but my impression is not based on scientific fact!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: ARE O/U Actions STRONGER than SxS?? [Re: Bloodnativ]
      #67319 - 18/12/06 02:21 PM

Hoppdoc,
Good thread topic!

Bloodnativ,
Good post!

Curl,
Very nice rifle!
Let's see, It's an O/U....High pressure....Rimless case.....
You're such a rebel!

Russ_Gould
.224 member

Reged: 20/12/06
Loc: OR, USA
Re: ARE O/U Actions STRONGER than SxS?? [Re: 4seventy]
      #67645 - 21/12/06 04:22 PM

Can't really generalize...Sidelock and Boxlock very different. And each gun has different metallurgy, dimensions etc. However the weak point on a sxs double is the 45 degree line angling back from the corner of the water table and the breech. So sidelock most always stronger than boxlock because there is more metal in this plane. In an O/U, most bending stress is similar location but there's more tension on the cheeks and less bending because the pivot point is usually between the bbls not below them. This is a good point in favor of O/U..but the sidwalls that bear this stress are necessarily quite thin. But the "beam" is also "thicker" (deeper) on an OU than on a sidelock, and it's a U channel not a rectangular bar. I think if you consider the pluses and minuses and do the math, you will find SL strongest, then OU, then boxlock. Again, specific guns may be out of order.

--------------------
http://doublegunhq.com - specializing in fine English, German and American double guns; and http://bigfivehq.com, specializing in safari rifles and hunting safaris

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #67875 - 23/12/06 10:16 AM

ARE O/Us ACTIONS STRONGER THAN SXS??

.........................In a word ........ NO! ...........OR YES!

However, it isn't that simple. There are many different types of O/Us, and they are very different designs, regardless of looking the same on the outside! The S/S is no different from the O/U in that respect.

There are O/Us that have the hinge pin under the bottom barrel, and some which use trunion buttons, that fit into simi-cercular millings in the sides of the barrel MONO-BLOCKs, that are between the barrels. Then there are some that have a swinging square YOKE that fits in a square milling in the sides of the MONO-BLOCK. All these have different stringths, and weakness.

There are S/Ss that hook up in different ways as well! Some have different amounts of locking divices, and even very different types of lock ups . There are Jones underlevers, that work like a cam-lock pulling the barrels down against the water table, and agianst the standing breech face. Then, there are Jones Levers that also have dolls head on top between the barrels, and some of those doll's heads also have a screw grip. Then you have the Purdey underlug, and under lugS, also along some times with rib extentions with Greener cross bolts, or doll's heads, and the screw grip as well. All these are diverse in the stringth they exibit.

SO! What I'm saying is, since the two types have so many differences, amoung their own barrel configuration, it is hard to just say one is stronger than the other. Simular types of hook-ups in each have to be compared.

The fact is if you use the ammo the rifle was regulated to use, either will last as long as you will, if they are cared for properly.

NOW! Are there differences between the two types regardless of what the rifle will be used for? YES, THERE ARE! However that is a different question!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: ARE O/U Actions STRONGER than SxS?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #67886 - 23/12/06 01:47 PM

Mac--
Thanks for the info!!

As usual the variables complicate the answer signifigantly!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Russ_Gould
.224 member

Reged: 20/12/06
Loc: OR, USA
      #68125 - 27/12/06 04:55 PM

I posted a pic of a Fox CE action next to a Rem 1894 sans wood over on doublegunshop.com to illustrate the quite significant differences in design and strength between these two actions, if anyone is interested.

--------------------
http://doublegunhq.com - specializing in fine English, German and American double guns; and http://bigfivehq.com, specializing in safari rifles and hunting safaris

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2765

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com