Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help - Sights are Blurry

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Palmer
.224 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: Missouri
Help - Sights are Blurry
      #19773 - 15/10/04 11:22 AM

My vision at a distance is excellent but I wear reading glasses for close work.

I shoot without the reading glasses. If I were to put on readers the sights on the barrels would be clear but the animal or target would be blurry.

The front sight on my 450/400 has a mirage - it looks like a duplicate front sight - seemingly floating right beside the real one.

The vertical line on the blade of my rear sight looks like three lines.

No, Im not about to put a scope on it. Any other ideas? Would a bigger front sight be better?

Fortunately the rifle fits me well and it generally shoots where I am looking even if everything on the barrel is blurry.

I have learned which of the two front sights are real and which of the three back lines needs to be aligned with the front one. Maybe this is as good as it is ever going to get for me.

I would still like to know how much better it would shoot if the sights were clear. Has anyone solved this? Surely I am not the only old man trying to shoot better with his double.

--------------------
ALLEN W. JOHNSON

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: Palmer]
      #19775 - 15/10/04 01:22 PM

Palmer

Your rifle should fit you well enough that you do not need the rear sight. Put the front site on the target and shoot. If your rifle doesn't allow this than you need to get it stocked so that it does.

A Double should be a point and shoot rifle, not one that needs to be aimed.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

hubel458
.375 member

Reged: 13/02/04
Loc: Brinton,MI-USA
      #19776 - 15/10/04 06:53 PM

My eyes are like yours and on unscoped guns I have to use a large aperture sight, to have any decent accuracy.
Is it kosher for a double?..Ed.

--------------------
Ed Hubel

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: hubel458]
      #19782 - 16/10/04 01:33 AM

I don't know how practical it would be for hunting, but for target shooting use a Merit eye disk on your glasses. Don't know how it would work on straight reading classes but it does work for me on my bifocals.

I don't know the science behind it, it only matters to me that it works.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Palmer
.224 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: Missouri
      #19790 - 17/10/04 01:22 AM

Thanks for the ideas. It confirms what I suspected.

I will black out the vertical line on the back blade so it will be one less distraction - then ignore the mirage of the front sight.

The rifle does fit very well and the only time I seem to be aware of all the blurry distraction is when shooting at a paper target.

A farmer friend called last night about a big feral hog on his place. He has BBQ on his mind so maybe I will get a chance to try out my blacked out blade this evening.

--------------------
ALLEN W. JOHNSON

CopperCountry
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/04
Loc: Michigan's Copper Country
      #19802 - 17/10/04 11:57 PM

The link "Skirmishers and Vision Problems" has good information on what is going on with aging eyes and iron sights. It mentions the Clearsight Optical auxiliary lens which clips on to a pair of eye glasses to sharpen iron sights. I have found it to help with revolver shooting and it should help with rifle sights too. Don't know how practical it would be for hunting but it helps on the target range.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #19811 - 19/10/04 05:48 AM

Palmer
Find an eye doctor that knows something about shooting glasses, not all of them do. My eye doctor is a competitive shooter. Take your double rifle to the eyedoctor, he should be able to make you a pair of shooting glases that will work. Shooting glasses are set up different than regular glases, they should set higher on your face and the optical center is adjusted for your shooting stance and head position.

I recently handled a Manton 470 double that was fited with a peep sight and it looked like it would work great. See it at www.champlinarms.com

When/if I can no longer shoot my bigbore doubles with iron sights I will either scope them [I would probably never scope the 450 No2, but I wish my 450/400 31/4" double had a scope on it.] or just get a Chapuis 470 and scope it.
I have a scope on my Chapuis 9,3x74R in QD mounts and really like it. I would have to do the math but I have shot about the same amount of game with iron sights as I have with the scope. I have made several shots with the scope that I could not have made with the iron sights.
I have killed several animals at 100 to 200 yards, a coyote at 271 and a Kudu at a little over 300 yards.
I have also made some shots "in the dark" ie pigs, a side striped jackel and a civet cat. Also I consider the scoped double the best choice for bear, leopard, and lion over bait. Well actually I consider the double rifle the best choice for all game under 300 yards.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: NE450No2]
      #20019 - 26/10/04 02:38 AM

The eye can only focus on two of the three objects you mention..The rear sight, the front sight, and the target is a blur, that is the correct sight picture...This is basic....

I also, like you, wear bifocals...I use them to shoot and I have no problem with iron sights, actually prefer them on DGRs...A blurred target is to be expected so get out there and practice, it will all come together...

Don't let the scope crutch beat you up..

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
      #20080 - 28/10/04 01:41 AM

I had the same problem and cured it once and for all with laser surgery!!!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: atkinson6]
      #20102 - 28/10/04 02:30 PM

In reply to:

the target is a blur, that is the correct sight picture.

Ray, maybe for you.

If you tried to shoot an Aussie Buffalo standing in the shadows of a paperbark swamp using open sights and he (the target) was blurred, you would most likely not even be able to see him, let alone place your bullet into his vitals!

When I use open sights I find the target and the foresight are focused and the rearsight is blurred.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: 4seventy]
      #20143 - 29/10/04 07:54 AM

4Seventy,
Whatever works for you is the way to go...no arguement here. I have shot many buff under the same or simular conditions in Zimbabwe and Tanzania and I want to see my sight and the target as a blur, but the target isn't really that much of blur to me....

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: atkinson6]
      #20286 - 31/10/04 11:11 PM

The brighter the light - the sharper the sights. Just like stopping down a camera lens the eyes depth of field increases as the pupil gets smaller (which it does in bright light).

Like many of us, I tend to practice in the middle of the day. When I went over to doubles from scope sighted rifles I practiced a lot. then, when I shot my first goat in the forest at dusk I realised that the sights were not nearly as clear as in practice (and it was a white goat).

I now have a bit of a shoot at dusk most days at the farm (I can shoot off my deck, or, if my wife's away, through the open lounge room door - but not the 470 - things fall off the wall.

Another thing I find helps is wearing dard sunglasses when moving in and out of heavy scrub. The eye adapts to bright light by making the pupil smaller, letting less light in, and also by destroying pigments in the retina to make the retina less light sensitive. The pigment is destroyed in a minute or so but takes 15 minutes to build up when entering darker areas. Thus, by judiciously taking off and putting on your "sunnies" you can maintain good vision in less well lit areas.

mike

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Help - Sights are Blurry [Re: AussieMike]
      #20364 - 02/11/04 09:15 AM

If you see two front sights, put lampblack on the one you're not using.

More seriously:

I have two pairs of shooting glasses. One pair for handguns, the other for long guns. I shoot right handed.

For handguns I have +1.25 diopeter added to the distance part of the right lens. This makes the front sight tack sharp. Since they are bifocals I have +1.25 diopters taken off the reading portion to restore the reading portion to normal. Since the distance part of the left lens is still set for infinity I have a tack sharp view of the target through the left lens. Eye's don't see, the brain does. For most people this will look like both front sight and distance are sharp. There are a few people that it doesn't work for.

For long guns, I do as above except the add/subtract in the right eye is +1.00 diopters. Now comes the tricky part. You may or may not want to do this last part. I have the optical centers set a bit to the left and upwards so that when sighting a rifle, the optical center is closer to the line of sight with my head in aiming position. You can only go so far with this, not all the way. The drawback to this last bit is your view of the world is a bit cocked to one side when you are not shooting.

If you see two front sights, this indicates there is astigmatism at work. The glasses should provide a first order correction for astigmatism. This is as important a correction as the one for distance in many cases. Improper focusing for distance blurs the sight evenly. Astigmatism will blur it in an uneven manner and throw your aim off.

Another option is to go to the drugstore and buy the little past on readers intended for sunglasses. Get the power mentioned above. Take one and paste it on the aiming eye lens. Center it on the aiming line of sight. This will give you a correction for the front sight in a small area while leaving the rest of the lens and all of the other lens focused at infinity or target distance.

An old trick shot gunners use to correct cross dominance (Shooting right handed and being left eye dominant like me or vice versa.)is to put a small patch on the off eye lens to block off the barrel. As a temporary trial you can put a spot of vaseline in that location.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2542

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com