Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle in the North America, NEED?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Double rifle in the North America, NEED?
      #9086 - 15/02/04 11:34 AM

How many think there is no reason, or justification for haveing a double rifle, in North America? Or maybe the double rifle should be limited to perhaps 375 flanged Mag, or smaller, because nothing larger is of any use here!

If you don't think the quick one two punch can be of use in this country, maybe we should limit the double to a 30-06 type round, for everything in North America, or do you think it would be just as good chambered for 30-30, since there is no dangerous game in NA!

I think there is a place for the stopper in NA, and the cartridges like 450/400 3", or 450NE, right up to, and inluding the 500 NE, and in a double rifle in many parts of Alaska, and Canada. Where the rain forests of the North West, or the tight tangles of Alder in Alaska, where you can't see more than 10 feet in some cases. Those ten feet, will get you some close quarters encounters in some places!

Very few, who haven't acrually seen these up close, may phoo phoo the idea od something that is very dangerous here, and certainly not big, and mean like a cape buffalo, or African lion! These require some stopping at times, but we expect that in Africa.

Well, whitetail isn't the only thing that lives here, and a black bear is, most times a clown, and not a terrible threat to a man with a good old 45-70, lever gun like the lone ranger. But, what about these old fellows? would you like to meet them in the Alders at 10 feet, with a 30-06, or 45-70, if you could have a 500 NE double rifle? Take a look at my friends!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/068500

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Double rifle in the North America, NEED? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #9087 - 15/02/04 12:38 PM

Weelll, I'll bite. In my estimation, the 375 Flanged or the 9.3 rimmed will do for all NA non-dangerous hunting. For Kodiak Browns, I'd probably opt for something up to 500 NE. Having shot all of 8 rounds in a 577 NE way back when, I'd leave that out as it weighs too much at around 15-17#. On top of that, the recoil was a total surprise to me as it came back really fast and it will punish you. My hunting partner's dad had a chance to give a small natural museum an offer they couldn't refuse for all their doubles and a few rigby boltguns when they closed up in the 70's. Between that and reading Elmer Keith and others, I was hooked on this shit for a long time. I don't have the game experience with the doubles but based on my shooting different ones over the years, I'm making an educated guess.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Double rifle in the North America, NEED? [Re: 475Guy]
      #9089 - 15/02/04 12:52 PM

No need, but it sure is fun. I use my 9.3x74r as my "heavy gun" and actually I use for most of my hunting. I use it in Alaska for bear especially. I think they work well for both heavy cover and mixed cover hunting, any time your shots will be under 175 yards or so (which means almost all bear hunting).

One day I hope to use it in Africa, but in the mean time it'll work as my North America gun!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #9094 - 15/02/04 02:05 PM

I have made no secret how I feel about double rifles and their use in North America. I think the double rifle in the proper caliber is the BEST hunting rifle for ALL game that is hunted and shot at distances under 200 yards.
I have used 3 different doubles in NA.
1. A Chapuis 9,3x74R with a 2.5x8 Leupold in QD mounts.
2. A British 450/400 3 1/4" weight 9 1/4 lbs
3. A British 450 No2 weight 11 3/4 lbs
This is the short version, I can furnish more info on request.
The 9,3 with the scope is a great hunting rifle for all NA game from deer [not to powerful] to Big Bear [enough power].
The scope makes it the equal of the 375 H&H out to 200 yards. [I haven't shot the 9,3 farther]
It has become one of my most favorite rifles.

The 450/400 is the perfect big bore double for NA. Plenty of power and penetration for Big Bears, also good for Moose and Elk. The range factor with iron sights is a consideration. A scope on the 450/400 would make it the equal of any of the 40 cal bolt rifles out to 200 yards for sure. Some day I may scope the 400 double.

3. The 450 No2. I have used this rifle a lot on my lease for deer and pigs, and on an Eland at Camp Cooley in preparation for Africa. This is my favorite rifle of all time, it fits me better than any other rifle I have shot. However it is just too heavy for "rough country" hunting. When I hunted in Montana I used the 450/400 and the 9,3. I have taken the 400 to Alaska twice. I did take the 450 No2 to Idaho for Black Bear over bait [also had the 9,3 and would switch out every couple of days, shot the bear with the 9,3], I would not want to carry it long distances in "rough country".
The 400 is lighter and has all the power needed for NA. Even Elmer Keith felt the same way about big bore doubles.

I think I have the perfect trio of double rifles...
But since I like even numbers I lust for a 577 3" Nitro
Don't need one, just want one.

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
      #9095 - 15/02/04 02:34 PM

I was stationed in Alaska for 4 years and hunted every chance I could. I don't think I would take a quality double rifle to places we hunted brown bear nor would I want to expose it to the weather at places like the Peninsula or the ABC Islands. In my experience, Alaska can be very hard on guns.

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: Double rifle in the North America, NEED? [Re: DBBill]
      #9098 - 15/02/04 03:27 PM

I have had my doubles in bad weather in Alaska and Montana [actually the weather has been worse in Montana ] with no problems. That is what I got them for, to hunt with.
My doubles are not "High Dollar" Hollands, Rigbys etc. but working rifles. I agree I might not take one of those to rough country, but my doubles are going every time.
They are "too valuable" to me to not hunt with, as I see it, there real value IS as hunting rifles.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Double rifle in the North America, NEED? [Re: NE450No2]
      #9128 - 16/02/04 04:10 AM

There is no need, nor is it a good choice for NA....but its not about "need", it is about "want", and if one wants to use a double rifle, then I see no reason in the world not to do so....its use needs no justification so why try and do that......

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #9130 - 16/02/04 04:37 AM

Sounds to me that you might be a bit of an "un-even" number

I would like some information on your Eland...how and where? I love Eland meat, and would like to fill my freezer with some...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Double rifle in the North America, NEED? [Re: luv2safari]
      #9131 - 16/02/04 04:51 AM

Camp Cooley is a ranch in Texas that also caters to hunters of exotic game. You may try a google search. Anyways, NE and his drinking partners go there every year and whack a few pigs and other critters with doubles.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

NE450No2
.375 member

#9134 - 16/02/04 05:13 AM

luv2safari
Check out www.huntcampcooley.com
Several of us are going back there March 5,6,and 7.
Check with Rusty, there is probably still room for you.
Eland is good meat, it was a fun hunt with a good stalk.

luv2safari
.400 member

#9135 - 16/02/04 05:14 AM

Drinking & whacking...Hell Man! Let's go!!!...provided the "whacking " is boinking... and not exactly "whacking".

What the Hell, we could do some hunting, too, I guess...

What do the senoritas look like?

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

#9136 - 16/02/04 05:22 AM

450no2,

I just looked, and am now of the opinion that you should be elevated to "450 no. 1"! Thanks, and I'll be booking an eland shoot...probably a cow for the meat...my favorite, if they are anything like the African eland I've eaten.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#9148 - 16/02/04 09:00 AM

L2S, you're trying to get me in trouble. I've got a purty senorita and I definitely don't need to look at any other purty girls, she'd have shit-fit and then she'd cross her legs.

But, if I can get off the hook for a little while, it may be doable. The price for piggies are purty cheap.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

luv2safari
.400 member

#9152 - 16/02/04 09:42 AM

Yeah...the senora at this estancia would cut off mis cajones en u'minuto, tambien!

Maybe we should settle for bagging pigs...not puercas?

The eland and tequila would be en peligro gravo....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3516

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com