Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: German Shotgun Proof

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
JACKP
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: North Carolina
German Shotgun Proof
      #133664 - 27/04/09 10:33 PM

I'm going to buy a German shotgun action for my double rifle build. Probably 9.3X74R.

I'm looking at Simson,Merkel and JP Sauer. The ones I'm looking at are built from mid 50's to early 80's. Does anyone know if the Proof pressures went up with time or did they proof them all the same?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: German Shotgun Proof [Re: JACKP]
      #133774 - 28/04/09 09:51 PM

According to the book " The Standard Directory of Proof Marks", it seems that the current proof laws in force in Germany are basicly the same as their 1939 Proof Laws. Some language and proofing methods were changed in 1968 but mostly that pertained to guns made in Germany for export to other countries. As far as I can tell from a quick re-reading, the proof pressures have not changed. All the guns you mentioned should have been proofed to the same levels no matter when they were made, after 1939.
This is a very good book to own, especially if you are going to try and convert a shotgun to a rifle. You should buy one and study it carefully, it will explain how the guns were tested and to what levels of pressure. Maybe more importantly, it shows you many of the proof marks that were used by many different countries and gives you the proof levels for each mark.
I think all gun builders and collectors could benefit by owning one of these books and studying it closely. I hope this helps you out. Bob H.

JACKP
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: North Carolina
Re: German Shotgun Proof [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #133813 - 29/04/09 05:07 AM

Thanks Bob, I ordered the book you mentioned friday, should be here in a few days.

Thanks again for the info

Jack

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 501

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com