Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Thinking about building my first double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
CoryTheCowboy
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/20
Loc: NorthWestern ON
Thinking about building my first double rifle
      #344626 - 26/08/20 09:05 PM

Howdy folks,

I saw a Baikal MP-221 a few months ago, and while the cartridge didn't appeal to me (a 30-06 seemed like a silly choice to me), the idea of a double rifle did. I've missed a pile of ducks and grouse with various SxS over the seasons, through no fault of the gun, and know how well they carry...which is most of the appeal to me. I carry my guns a lot more than shoot them. I've lined up on a lot of game and then thought, "It's a long way back to the truck..." or the ever popular, "I don't even know where I am!"

Anyways, I found this forum, read through most of the posts and feel it's within my abilities. I'm a millwright apprentice, so have some kind of idea on how most things work, consider myself mechanically inclined and have access (and if not the skill, at least the ability to safely operate) a mill and a lathe.

What I'm thinking is to buy a donor gun, possibly this one or one of the many others
https://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/brno-sxs-12ga-14
And cut the barrels off to make a monoblock

Then, turn down a pair of these barrels
https://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/44-mag-barrel-blank-103-outer-diameter-23-inch

And eventually end up with a double rifle in 444 Marlin. A peep on the back and a big brass post up front is the plan for the sights.
I have a current production Marlin, love the cartridge...not a big fan of the rifle. From what I've read, the pressures should be okay for the Triple 4? I have no urge to hotrod it, I'm just hunting deer and moose and they don't like 270gr pieces of lead hitting them in the boiler room.

I'm aware that the cost factor is likely going to be higher going this way than buying a Baikal or something used, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to make things. I hunt over decoys I've carved, I reload, I find life is more rewarding that way. The other part that appeals to me is I can buy things bits at a time, fiddle until they work, then onto the next step.

Am I on the right track here? I know a 12 gauge is probably oversized for the donor, but I've handled those BRNOs before and they seem handy enough. The rimmed 444 seems like it should be a good choice for the extractor to grab onto. I'm not looking to end up with a tack driver, if I can throw two 270gr. bullets into 3.5"-4" at 100 yards, I'd be ecstatic.

Any thoughts? Comments?

Thanks folks,

Cory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Thinking about building my first double rifle [Re: CoryTheCowboy]
      #344630 - 26/08/20 10:33 PM

First welcome to the club. I, like I think most of us here, also love doubles. I applaud your desires and wish you the best. Not having the skills you do, it would be impossible for me to attempt; but Ive designed several DRs in my mind.

There are a few sources that you might want to check. One is a book "Building Double Rifle on Shotgun Actions". What you are talking about HAS been done. and done well. Its also been attempted with poor or incomplete results. If I was going to do it I would not piecemeal it. Either do it or not, do not plan on buying a few bits at a time. If you dive in youll be more inclined to complete it and less willing to abandon the project along the way.

The cartridge you chose seems like a good one, it might not be historic as a DR cartridge; but it should work for what youre talking about. Ive often wondered why the big manufacturers havent made a double rifled 12 or 20 gauge.
Regulation is said to be the big issue. I cant help beyond moral support.

Best

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Edited by EDELWEISS (27/08/20 09:04 AM)

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Thinking about building my first double rifle [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #344648 - 27/08/20 09:06 AM

Cory,
I second the suggestion to buy and study the book "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions" by W. Ellis Brown.The second edition is the most current.
I own and shoot two such shotgun based rifles and am very happy with them. Both were made by a follower of Ellis Brown and member of this forum. One is a Simson based .405 and the other a Beretta based .45-70. Their calibers are in the same neighborhood as the one that interests you.
Good luck with your project.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com