Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Southgate ejector forend

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Southgate ejector forend
      #255479 - 20/10/14 11:52 AM

Does anyone have a few pictures of a forend - preferably dissasembled - showing details a Southgate ejectors ??

I've been eagerly watching Ron Vella's progress with his latest double rifle and he shows an Anson and Deally forend.

I would particularly like to see the forend from an Easy Opening H&H which has Southgate ejectors and A & D latch.

Can anyone help with this ??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: twobobbwana]
      #255615 - 23/10/14 04:24 AM

Don't have any pictures of what you are asking, but I did want to say Anson and Deeley forends are two different designs. The Anson forend is a pushrod(anson pushrod_, where the Deeley is a latch inletted into the forend wood(deeley latch). The names aren't used together when describing a forend, only when describing the common boxlock action.

Heres more:
http://www.hallowellco.com/shotgun.htm

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044

Edited by Aaron_Little (23/10/14 04:27 AM)

twobobbwana
.333 member

Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: Aaron_Little]
      #255621 - 23/10/14 12:08 PM

Aaron,

Right you are.

I think they use the more positive lock of the Anson forend when they incorporate Southgate ejectors/easy opening.

Would it be possible to see a picture of the forend furniture of your project AYA #2 project taken down ??? or of your new 470 project forend ???

I'm particularly interesting in converting an extractor gun to ejectors..........and possibly easy opening. Any new forend would be of Anson pattern.

Any takers on your AYA project ??? Please share photos of the build if permitted. It certainly would make a lovely .303 British.

I am planning a similar project on a Leige 20guage boxlock but am looking for an AYA #2 to build a double rifle on.

Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: twobobbwana]
      #255624 - 23/10/14 02:59 PM

I can get some pics tomorrow of the the Spanish guns forend w/ejector bits.

Really the only addition an ejector forend would have over an extractor forend would be a "hook" that holds the butt end of the vee spring stationary. If one would be inclined they could weld on a block and machine it, or dovetail in a block and machine it. Everything else just involves removing metal and drilling some holes. If you're using pre-made ejector parts hole location is critical.

Im a fan of the Anson design. Not only does it provide better leverage in removing the forend, but one can fit the sliding lock so it will allow for wear. Doesn't take much wear on a deeley latch to make the forend loose. Still an easy fix...

The Spanish 20ga did sale. The customer is doing a .500 Linebaugh revolver cartridge on it. Big bore with a little case on a little action. Its a pretty low pressure round though and due to case size there is plenty of wall thickness around the chambers. Will yield a light rifle.

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044

Shotgunlover
.224 member

Reged: 24/08/13
Loc: Greece
Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: Aaron_Little]
      #255632 - 23/10/14 09:56 PM

I have done it once, converting a boxlock non ejector to ejector, and once was enough.

The problem is using the cocking lever as is, with no alterations, to activate the ejector mechanism. Then there are the issues of recocking on closing, timing so that the ejectors fire at the right moment in the opening arc, and timing so that they fire at the same time if both barrels are fired. The Baker style ejector is easier to do than the Southgate, in my opinion. The Baker is cocked on closing the gun by the breech face (Boss SXS use this system), it contains its own camming surfaces that automatically push the ejectors into the cocked position. The Baker can also be made more or less powerful by using different coil springs.

Also worth looking into is the coil sprung ejectors used on the Beretta 626. Not as powerful as the Southgate, but is easier to recock on closing the gun. It too uses the over center principls of the Anson but with coil springs rather than V. And finally there is the strain that recocking the ejectors places on the forend. It is a sizeable strain that might tax the engagement of the forend on the barrel loop.

It is worth considering the original purpose of ejectors: to make shooting, not hunting, faster with a loader. Not many o fus shoot with loaders and multiple guns.

--------------------
Shotgunlover

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: Shotgunlover]
      #255635 - 23/10/14 11:02 PM

I could take a few photos of mine but they are of the older H&H with lever, would that help?

I think H&H went straight from Lever to Anson Pushrod, haven't seen one with Deeley Latch.

Cheers, Chris

jaguarxk120
.224 member

Reged: 29/11/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: Rockdoc]
      #255981 - 30/10/14 01:09 AM

If you go on Midways web site there is a video showing the Southgate ejectors, complete dis assembly and how to adjust/regulate them.

Or do a Youtube search for the Midway video's.

Found it www.youtube.com/watch?V=nuly2nRToaA

Edited by jaguarxk120 (30/10/14 04:05 AM)

twobobbwana
.333 member

Re: Southgate ejector forend [Re: jaguarxk120]
      #256238 - 03/11/14 12:33 PM

Aaron,

Once the ejector "furniture" is added to the forend they have to be tripped and recocked. It's this process that makes things interesting.

Agree with the comments on the Anson forend.

Shotgunlover,

agree with the comments about "The problem is using the cocking lever as is, with no alterations, to activate the ejector mechanism."

I'm not against modifying the cocking rod to make this happen.

Re: "And finally there is the strain that recocking the ejectors places on the forend. It is a sizeable strain that might tax the engagement of the forend on the barrel loop." it is addressed in McIntosh's "Shotgun Technicana" (or Vic Venters book) about the need to more solidly attach the forend loop "brazing instead of soldering/tinning" ????

Rockdoc,

Thank you for the offer of photos of the lever forend "latch" but I'm particularly interested in the Anson latch.

In McIntosh's "Shotgun Technicana" there is details of both an Anson latch and a Deeley latch.

jaguarxk120,

Thank you for sending me in the You tube direction. Thank you to Jack Rowe and Larry Potter for passing on the information. It's the best description of Southgate ejectors that I've seen. A great adjunct to McIntosh's "Shotgun Technicana" on the subject. I particular wanted to see details of the ejector hammer/cam/activating mechanism and there Youtube clip showed that. I also watched the clip on making v springs again. I have Jack Rowe's dvd and it is really worth the money.

Folks,

If this sounds like an add for the works of Messrs McIntosh's, Verntor's and Rowe you have my apologies. I have no connection with them and will not benefit from promoting their products.....other than to inform like minded people. They are just the best information/books I've seen on the features and mechanisms of shotguns/double rifles, there manufacture and repair. I give my hearty endorsement for their work.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3695

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com