Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Accuracy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Double Rifle Accuracy
      #208468 - 17/05/12 11:38 AM

I was hoping to solicit insight into acceptable accuracy for double rifles. I would expect that the mid-bores like 9.3 or .375 should probably be held to a little higher standard given their potential for reaching out a littler farther than the large bores. I will soon have the pleasure of shooting a .458. I would expect that in most cases the larger bores are not used much beyond 50 yards and will thus pose my question at this mark.

What do you consider acceptable accuracy for a .458 at 50 yards. What is your personal preference for maximum horizontal and vertical spread?

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: Mauser416]
      #208469 - 17/05/12 12:08 PM

1 - 1.5" at 50, maybe 2 - 2.5" for a .458.

Half the problem is not the gun, it's the nut behind
the butt - ie me !!!

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: 500Nitro]
      #208473 - 17/05/12 12:50 PM

If you can it with your palm, you are good to go.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: 500grains]
      #208476 - 17/05/12 01:22 PM

Normally regulation is the criteria with double rifles - the separation on the target of the groupings from each barrel. It's based on the grouping centre from each barrel, at least that's what I believe. I think 2" regulation at 50yards is generally considered good. I'm not sure about accuracy, but a barrel that shoots 2MOA will group 1" at 50 yards, giving an overall area of impact of 3" at 50yrds for both barrels.

I think that accuracy may even be better than this in alot of cases. For example, I suspect that my Merkel 500NE double may produce groups (not talking regulation here) better than 2MOA just based on calling the shots when I let loose. I've fired this out to a maximum of 50yards, and in a standing rested position.

I would like to bench shoot this one day to see how good it is (just out of curiosity. The regulation and apparant accuracy makes it entirely suitable for its purpose though, so I wouldn't practically achieve anything just satisfy curiosity), but am nervous about damaging the stock. I would have to use a lead sled but the pistol grip looks so skinny that I would be concerned about breaking it.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #210630 - 10/06/12 10:35 PM

I would not bother using a lead sled, you will risk breaking your stock and it won't tell you a damned thing! A double needs to be shot off the shoulder with the front hand controlling the rise and helping with the recoil. This can be easily accomplished by draping a 3/4 filled shot bag over your shoulder to help slow down the recoil, or better yet, go and buy a strap-on Past recoil pad. You only use it when you need it. Then support the front hand and arm but putting it over a padded front rest of some sort, but keep your hand in control of the front end of the gun. You can shoot it safely and comfortably this way without fear of being slammed too much by recoil. Just be sure you have the front rest as high as possible so that you are not leaning over and into the rifle too much. Shot this way, the gun can still freely recoil and it won't throw off the shots. Your body can still flex from the waist up.
If you don't like this method, then you need to build a standing rest. All of the rules still apply, you need to rest your hand and forearm on a padded rest, but your off hand needs to hold the front of the gun in a naturally recoiling hold. This will duplicate an offhand shooting hold for you and you can still use a pad of some sort. Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #210634 - 11/06/12 12:29 AM

As Bob noted above, this is the bench position I use when shooting my rifles - all of them that have any recoil that is.

If you sight in a bolt rifle, like a 9.3 or .375 or even the kickers in muzzleloading rifles such as a heavily loaded .58 and .69, by letting the forend bounce on the front rest, then shoot it hand held as when hunting, you will usually see a marked difference in point of impact. This is over an above any regulation of 2 barrels. It is little wonder why some people have a nasty time of it. The same hold no matter what, is vitally important in normal rifles, let alone a double rifle that was originally sighted by holding.

The difference can be enough to miss at extended ranges, or worse, make a poor, wounding shot. This difference recoil induces point of impact can cause poor, wounding shots on game or outright misses, as close as 100yards in scoped bolt guns & completely destroy the regulation of the sights in a DR.

Rifles that have 'some' recoil, will change impact depending on how you hold and shoot them. The rifle must be held as if you are shooting offhand - rest the back of your left hand (right handed) or right hand (left handed) on the bag, but grip the stock or barrels as if shooting offhand and sit so the gun can recoil, just as Bob indicated.

The differing point of impact depending on how you hold, is another reason why 2 people sometimes cannot shoot to the same place with the same rifle.

Case in point on holding is my 9 pound .375/06IMP. If I shoot it letting it bounce on the front bag, held as a bench rest rifle as I see many do and sight it in, the point of impact is 3 1/2" off the rifle's zero - at 2 o'clock. 3 1/2" doesn't sound too bad, but that's off a rest - add in a bit of wobble for offhand and it could be 6" or more, and a high miss or 'graze' on a target as large as a moose or elk.

However, if I shoot it hand held as I sighted it in, it does not change point of impact whether I'm shooting offhand, off the bench or sitting or even resting against a tree. As long as the stock is held n my hands, it hits where it's pointed & I can trust the sights.

I always wear a PAST shoulder pad when shooting the kickers, now - due to some old shoulder injuries. With the standard Magnum PAST pad, I can shoot just about anything - but without the pad, the heaviest kicker I can shoot is my 9.3x57 and only for a few rounds at that, like when hunting. That is probably why it's my new favourite.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: DarylS]
      #210737 - 12/06/12 04:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future. My current DR didn't come to pass as expected and as noted on the other thread.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3817

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com