Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rifle stock restoration?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
jphendren
.224 member

Reged: 27/06/06
Loc: Nevada, United States
Rifle stock restoration?
      #107131 - 10/06/08 07:35 AM

I have a custom rifle that I am thinking about having the stock restored on. Who would you recommend?

I puchased the rifle from Bass Pro's fine gun room and the salesman tole me that they could steam out the dings and refinish the stock for about $250. I've also contacted Griffin & Howe and they quoted $700 to refinish the stock which includes touching up the checkering.

Anybody have any experience with either of these companies? I know that G&H is a famous custom rifle co. and would probably do the best job.

Should I even bother in the first place? The rifle was built by Jim Wilkinson's Rifle Ranch in Prescott, AZ. I don't think that he was well known, would restoring the stock hurt the rifles value?

Jared

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Rifle stock restoration? [Re: jphendren]
      #107169 - 10/06/08 11:19 PM

There are many things to consider before you put more money and effort into this gun. What is it like now? You didn't give us much information to go on. How much do you think it is worth now as it is? Did you buy it as an investment or as a gun to hunt with? How bad are the dents and where are they located? Do you have any skills in woodworking? If it is not too bad, you can probably do much of the work yourself, unless you just don't have the time or you think you don't have the skills. Most people can do a respectible job of refinishing if they take their time and are coached through it by someone who has done it before. I don't know anything about the maker, but unless it is really fancy, I doubt if some light refinishing will hurt your resale value much. Bob H.

jphendren
.224 member

Reged: 27/06/06
Loc: Nevada, United States
Re: Rifle stock restoration? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #107324 - 13/06/08 02:21 PM

The rifle was made by the Rifle Ranch in Prescott, AZ. From what I have read, it was owned by a man named Jim Wilkinson. The stock was made by Bob Hooper out of IL. I purchased the rifle because it was built on a pre-64 magnum length Model 70 action and chambered in .375 H&H. While I don't hunt, I am interested in classic walnut stocked hunting rifles and hunting in general. The rifle is very nicely put together. There is nothing functionally wrong with the rifle, it functions perfectly and is very accurate. I just wish it were in better shape. If I had to guess its value, I would place it in the $2,000-3,000 range, but I am not absolutely certain.

I have no gunsmithing/woodworking skills, so I would have to hire somebody to do the job.

Jared

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Rifle stock restoration? [Re: jphendren]
      #108022 - 24/06/08 03:25 PM

Jared

That name rings a bell. Have you checked to see if they are still in business? If they are they would be your best bet.

I would NOT go with Bass Pro Shops as they would just farm it out to some guy locally. I don't think I would go with G&H either. You would pay a premium just for using their name. The work would probably be top notch though.

Give this guy a buzz.

Chuck Hedke
509/447 4489
Newport WA..

He might be just what you need.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Rifle stock restoration? [Re: mickey]
      #108043 - 24/06/08 10:32 PM

Try Turnbull Restorations. They work on alot of fine Winchesters and Colt SAA's. Doug Turnbull: www.turnbullrestoration.com

--------------------
One day at a time...

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Rifle stock restoration? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #108048 - 24/06/08 11:45 PM

Doug Turnbull has a AAA reputation, regards, Mike Bailey

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
Re: Rifle stock restoration? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #108065 - 25/06/08 03:05 AM

Go with someone that used to work at G&H like Nathe Heineke.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1057

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com