Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun?
      #268258 - 20/07/15 07:45 PM

anyone here ever shoot such a beast before? wonder how it did the job on 100 meter.
I know they were made to shoot wild geese who allready know very exactly how long you can shoot wit a gun.

Pieper/Liege seven barrel .22 caliber rimfire

http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?category=905&page=5&category=&product=al773

obviously this was a british invention like this Samuel Nock seven barrel muzzle loader demonstrate

looks like 7 - 8mm caliber

http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?category=905&page=8&category=&product=al1291

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (20/07/15 07:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: lancaster]
      #268262 - 20/07/15 08:38 PM

If i had that peiper one i'd be chasing rabbits every weekend with it

--------------------

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: Ash]
      #268330 - 22/07/15 08:38 AM

What a beastie that Peiper 7 barrel .22 is! I would love to have a go with one.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: Bidgee]
      #268358 - 23/07/15 01:36 AM

Seems to me the Nock was .43 cal. to .45 calibre and weighed some 12 or 13 pounds.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: DarylS]
      #268400 - 23/07/15 01:32 PM

My post of the other day didn't post due to internet problems.

Volley guns were originally designed as naval weapons to clear the sails and shrouds of enemy warships of snipers. Would have been flintlock muzzle loaders.

I wonder what other uses these more modern rifles were intended for? Same use but in later days?

Interesting the .22 was designed for shooting geese as Lancaster suggests.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: NitroX]
      #268405 - 23/07/15 02:53 PM

the Nock rifle is a hunting gun, the waterfowl engravings showing this very clearly.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#269393 - 19/08/15 01:11 AM

I was looking in the spring 2015 Hermann Historica auction catalong and there was another Volley gun this time a Vierling made by Johann Haberda, Schloss Frauenberg (Hluboká), Böhmen 1880
proably made for the 320 CF revolver cartridge it looks like you can fire 2 or 4 barrels at once
engraved with "PATENT HEISSIG" and "JOH. HABERDA, FRAUENBERG, BÖHMEN / FÜRST. SCHWARZENBERG'scher HOFBÜCHSENMACHER."

http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_de/auktion-70.html

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (19/08/15 04:07 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

#270011 - 05/09/15 07:57 PM

got pics from denmark, Schultz&Larsen 22lr volley gun, probably made after the war by using an old 98k stock so it seems the idea was not dead.

got the information this one was build by a S&L employee maybe between 1945 and 1947 for his own use: hunting geese

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (06/09/15 05:27 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#289863 - 05/11/16 12:48 AM

more Henri Pieper guns

Henri Pieper (left) and Nicolas Pieper (right)

"Henri Pieper was born and raised in modest German home in Soest (Westphalia) Germany on Oct 30, 1840. He received his technical training in Soest and then in Warstein. Then emigrated to Belgium at the end of 1859. Moving around from Herstal and a short period in the wool industry of Verviers, he finally settled in Liege after marriage. He established his firearm manufacturing business “Anciens Etablissements Pieper” in Liege in 1866. The rapid growth and success of his business was partly due to an excellent decision he made early on in the purchase of a barrel factory in Nessonvaux. Some of Remington’s finest double shotguns of the time have the maker’s mark of ‘HP’ on them from this factory. It didn’t take long for him to become famous for quality and moderate prices.

In 1870 his 6,000 square meter workshop on the street of Bayard and along with his barrel factory in Nessonvaux in the valley of Vesdre was primarily manufacturing shotguns for export.

In 1887, Henri Pieper joined the “Manufacturers of Weapons” association of Liege. Along with the factories Jules Ancion, Dumoulin brothers, Joseph Janssen, Pirlot-Frésart, Draws up-Laloux & Co, Albert Simonis and the brothers Emile and Leon Nagant with an aim of obtaining large government and military contracts.
The following year, he took part in the Belgian army tests to replace the outdated Comblain rifles with a modern repeating rifle. He submited two Mannlicher style rifles. One with a rectilinear action and another with a rotary Schulhof action. Both lost to Mauser which was adopted as the model 1889.
He was then contracted to help with the creation of the Belgian National Factory which would manufacture the model 1889 where he remained as a major shareholder and administrator.
After this, he assisted in the development of a “gas seal revolver”. His design lost the competition for the new Russian revolver contract to the Nagant brothers’ design. But model 1893 revolver was very popular in Mexico along with a revolving rifle of the same type. Very few of these remain and command a high price. Most found by today’s collectors are worn and heavily used.
About 1897, the Pieper workshops launched into the manufacture of bicycles and cars.

Nicolas Pieper was born in Liege on October 31, 1870. The second son of Henri Pieper and Catherine Elisabeth Leroy. At the early age of 13 he was training with his father. Before his fathers premature death at the age of 57, he took the helm of the firearms factory in Liege while his brother Edouard Herman took over the barrel factory in Nessonvaux.

In a few short years, the over diversification of the company put him in bankruptcy. Nicolas, with the help of his brother-in-law, Auguste Lambrecht, rebuilt the business, and named it “Factory of automatic weapons Nicolas Pieper”." http://www.forgottenweapons.com/biography-henri-nicolas-pieper/

http://www.icollector.com/Henri-Pieper-Belgian-7-Chamber-Volley-Gun_i19367222

"Popular among market hunters of the late 19th century, volley guns (also known as goose guns) used simultaneously-fired barrels to combine the swarm effect of a shotgun with the greater range of a rifle. Measuring 1 1/4 inches in diameter, the barrel cluster is fitted with a dovetailed bead front sight and a two leaf rear sight, with "H. PIEPER LIEGE" on the rib and the Liege "E/LG/star" proof on the left. Casehardened frame with light border engraving, floral designs on the screws, and a rolling block action with a removable "moon clip" style cartridge carrier (one included) and a one-piece rimfire striker. Checkered pistol grip stock, with a sling eye on the forearm, casehardened engraved grip cap, silver inscription panel on the underside bearing the Japanese numerals for "30" (significance unknown), and a smooth steel buttplate.
SN 256"

it seems the Pieper gun was made as a seven shooter in 22 lr and in 32 long RF
http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1314-pieper-seven-shot-rolling-block-volley-gun-40717/

"PIEPER SEVEN-SHOT ROLLING BLOCK VOLLEY GUN. SN 459. Cal. 32 RF. 25-1/2″ Round seven shot barrel is engraved “M. Pieper Liege” on wide flat matted integral rib. One standing, one folding leaf rear sight, and silver bead front, are dovetailed through rib. Left side of bbl is stamped with Belgian black powder proofs. SN is on bottom of bbl. Large, case hardened rolling block action has scrolled border engraving. Sides of breech block, locking lever and hammer are polished bright. Left side of breech block and action are proofed. Centrally hung hammer has checkered spur, and main-spring is extremely strong, in order to fire all seven bbls at once. A zinc or steel washer cut to accept cartridges is necessary to load and fire this rifle. A zinc washer is present."
http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1314-pieper-seven-shot-rolling-block-volley-gun-40717/

not all of this are best grade colour case hardened, here is a more basic version only blued in 32 RF

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting-firearm-collecting/gundigest-9-24-09-pieper

"Naval warfare wasn’t what Henri Pieper had in mind when he built his volley gun. More likely he intended it as a market gun. Back before 1918, there were no bag limits on waterfowl, and many hunters made their living by shooting as many ducks as they could in a single day and taking them down to the local meat market to sell. Most market hunters used plain old everyday shotguns, but hardcore market hunters used punt guns or volley guns.

A punt gun, of course, was an enormous smoothbore with a caliber frequently larger, sometimes much larger, than one inch. It was loaded with as much as a half-pound of shot and lashed to the gunwale of a punt, a small skiff-like boat. You’d paddle or pole the punt gun toward the birds, point the front of the boat at them, then — Ka-blooey! Afterward, you’d pick up the dead birds with a long-handled net and bundle them off to market. (The LaPorte County Museum also has two punt guns in its collection.)
The Pieper Volley Gun must have served the same purpose. It has seven rifled .32-caliber barrels, all of which fire at once. There’s a single pair of sights on top of its barrel cluster, which meant you couldn’t do much precision shooting with it. When you saw a bunch of geese or ducks on the water, you simply aimed at the unlucky one in the middle and squeezed ‘er off. You were bound to bag two or three birds at the least.

All of this sounds terribly shabby to us today, but the market hunter of the past never claimed to be a sportsman. He was a meat hunter, pure and simple, and if a punt gun or volley gun helped him put a roof over his head and bread on the table, he’d use one if he could afford it. But market hunters nearly wiped out several species of waterfowl, and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 put an end to the practice forever.

In a rare print reference, the Pieper Volley Gun was advertised in the 1888 – 1889 Great Western Gun Works Catalog as “Pieper’s 7-Shot Mitrailleuse,” “mitrailleuse” being an old French word for a multi-barreled firearm. It was said to be “an accurate gun for 125 to 150 yard shooting” and “an excellent gun for wild geese and other wild game.” The catalog boasted that the Pieper gun, which was available in .22 or .32 rimfire, “will throw bullets farther than any other shot gun will throw buck shot, and persons who only want a gun for geese, crane, turkey, etc., cannot get anything that will do the work as well.”

Further, the Pieper Mitrailleuse was said to have a spread of three feet at 125 yards, so it was admirably comprehensive. The gun retailed for an astounding $70, whereas you could order a Winchester Model 1886 Express Rifle in .50-95 for “only” $20.25. That makes the Pieper Volley Gun one of the most expensive guns of its day."

http://qsy-complains-a-lot.tumblr.com/post/124742234514/pieper-volley-rifle-or-goose-gun-7-rifled

here is a real 32 RF five barrel gun

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1311-pieper-type-rolling-block-five-shot-volley-gun-35630/
"PIEPER TYPE ROLLING BLOCK FIVE SHOT VOLLEY GUN. SN NSN. Cal. 32 ga. 25-1/2″ Round bbl has slightly raised matted top w/ standing rear sight and uncut folding leaf rear sight dovetailed and soldered in place. Post front sight is mounted the same way. Left rear of bbl has Belgian proofs. Large case hardened rolling block action is nicely filed, and has border engraving. "

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/gooserifle.html

thinking most of this guns were sold into the united states because since the prohibition of shotguns over 10 ga for hunting waterfowl in the 1880s there was a special demand. you can do two things with a 8 or 4 ga.
you can use it as poor mans punt gun firing into a flock or you can use it as a long range shotgun loading larger size pellets with a high powder load what makes it possible to reach birds on longer distance and this was the point for the volley gun.
if we see at the serial numbers it seems they are in one group so at least 459 guns were made.

this one is for sale in argentina with the SN 8

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#289873 - 05/11/16 06:57 AM

http://merzantiques.com/museum/very-unique-8-barrel-swiss-manufactured-volley-gun-in-caliber-22-wcf

"VERY UNIQUE 8 BARREL SWISS MANUFACTURED VOLLEY GUN IN CALIBER 22 WCF

This gun was made for the Prince of Egypt in the early '30's & is the only one of its kind that was made by F. Forney; Fab Cant Lausanne. Very beautifully & delicately made with 24 thin lightweight bbls & an express sight graduated for 100, 150 & 200 meters; single set trigger. The name of the manufacturer, the city and the State is inlaid in gold on top of the raised matted rib. Orig Circassian style walnut stocks are in exc cond retaining nearly all of the orig high gloss lacquer finish, sharp checkering. Bbl retains 95% bright blue, rec is beautifully engraved with a hunting dog in a panel on each side surrounded by tight European style scroll engraving. Exc+ throughout; complete with special order single set triggers. Volley gun so all bbls fire at the same time. Interesting item-the only one I've ever seen. "

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#289887 - 05/11/16 06:10 PM

Regulation? What a nightmare.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#289895 - 06/11/16 03:20 AM

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#308261 - 25/11/17 03:14 AM

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...416&image=5

"HENRI PIEPER
A RARE .22 RIMFIRE 7-SHOT ROLLING-BLOCK VOLLEY RIFLE, serial no. 103,
25 5/8in. Belgian black powder proofed round barrel outer housing seven internal barrels, open sights (likely re-attached) and bead fore-sight, Pieper patent rolling block action (firing all seven barrels simultaneously), replacement cartridge charger, unsigned action with fine diamond and matt engraving, 14 1/4in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with steel pistolgrip-cap and horn buttplate with H. Pieper logo, weight 7lb. 5oz. "

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#308264 - 25/11/17 03:22 AM

Quote:

I was looking in the spring 2015 Hermann Historica auction catalong and there was another Volley gun this time a Vierling made by Johann Haberda, Schloss Frauenberg (Hluboká), Böhmen 1880
proably made for the 320 CF revolver cartridge it looks like you can fire 2 or 4 barrels at once
engraved with "PATENT HEISSIG" and "JOH. HABERDA, FRAUENBERG, BÖHMEN / FÜRST. SCHWARZENBERG'scher HOFBÜCHSENMACHER."

http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_de/auktion-70.html

WOW - check out the rifling orientation at the muzzles.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#308269 - 25/11/17 06:13 AM

your arer rigth, make it bigger so its better to see

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#313125 - 25/02/18 08:24 PM

next holts auction

HENRI PIEPER, LIEGE
A RARE .22 RIMFIRE 7-SHOT ROLLING-BLOCK VOLLEY RIFLE, serial no. 94,
with 25 5/8in. Belgian black powder proofed round barrel housing seven internal rifled barrels, dove-tailed blade fore-sight, provision for soldered rear-sight (missing), Pieper patent rolling block action (firing all seven barrels simultaneously), detachable cartridge charger, unsigned action with geometric patterns of dot engraving on a matt background, 14 1/4in. chequered pistolgrip stock with engraved steel pistolgrip-cap and horn buttplate with H. Pieper logo (some worm damage to edges of heel-plate), weight 7lb. 5oz.

Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.

Estimate £3,000-4,000
http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...&saletype=#

SAMUEL NOCK, LONDON
AN EXCEPTIONALLY RARE 60-BORE PERCUSSION SEVEN-SHOT VOLLEY GOOSE-RIFLE, serial no. 7079,
circa 1835, with hexagonal 20in. rifled damascus barrel cluster comprising of six barrels around a seventh central barrel, all discharging simultaneously, the flat top-rib with small white-metal fore-sight and a dove-tailed standing notch rear-sight with two additional folding leaves, the breech-block with inlet platinum poincon signed 'S. NOCK, LONDON' together with a crown, the long borderline and scroll engraved top-tang featuring a gamescene engraving of waterfowl in flight and on water in a lakeland setting, moulded snail and fence with platinum vented plug, back action lock signed 'SAML. NOCK INVENTT.' and game scene engraved with waterfowl over and around reed beds, slab-sided scroll engraved dolphin headed hammer with detachable nose, walnut half-stock chequered at the wrist, iron furniture including heel-plate, the top-spur scroll and waterfowl engraved, the serial number to the rear face, scroll engraved trigger-guard bow and tang and equipped with a brass under-barrel ramrod threaded for accessories

Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.

Estimate £10,000-15,000
http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...2&saletype=

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (25/02/18 08:30 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#316733 - 24/05/18 04:47 AM

again for sale in britain, Pieper 22lr caliber SN 126

in the homeland of the punt gun this things were popular http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...3&saletype=

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #316752 - 24/05/18 05:19 PM

Scaled up a bit?

Read about the less - than - successful trials of this one:
CSA Shotgun

Another article

Sturmkolben:

Interesting history

lancaster
.470 member

Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #316756 - 24/05/18 06:33 PM

the last one is cracy

would like to see a 100 meter target shoot with the 7 barrel pieper, less recoil than a 4 gauge I suppose.
of course, you can only shoot it in direction of the sea standing on the beach because a 22 lr bullet is still able to kill at 1500 meter if it comes down but I see some real value for the geese hunter.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#326684 - 01/04/19 06:17 AM

so I found a statement in a german hunting gun book from 1899 about the pieper gun "50 cm with 7 bullets at 100 meter"

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#335226 - 08/12/19 07:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yZJugzGXM

was in contact with Ian before about another video, a dreyse gun where he had informations I believed being the only one on this planet. contacted him about this with the question if he had another source I don't know before. of course, he is an internet guy and making his daily homework with the net because its quick and up to date.
writing back me that what he found in the net were things I posted about this topic .
don't know if there is other stuff about the piper gun in the net but one of the main sources for this video was maybe this thread.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#344336 - 15/08/20 02:15 PM

J. PIEPER, LIEGE
AN EXCEPTIONALLY RARE 7mm RIMFIRE SEVEN-SHOT ROLLING-BLOCK VOLLEY RIFLE, serial no. 256,
with re-blued 25 5/8in. Belgian black powder proofed round barrel housing seven internal rifled barrels, non-reflective raised sighting-rib with dove-tailed beaded blade fore-sight and dove-tailed standing notch rear-sight with additional folding leaf, Pieper patent rolling block breech (firing all seven barrels simultaneously) retaining the original detachable cartridge charger, unsigned action with raised moulded side-cheeks, engraved borders and retaining virtually full original colour hardening, figured 14 1/8in. chequered pistolgrip stock with engraved steel pistolgrip-cap and smooth iron buttplate, chequered walnut fore-end, weight approximately 10lb.
https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/as...21&image=14

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #344345 - 16/08/20 06:12 AM

Those double barrelled cannon were sometimes fired with two balls connected with a chain. Can you imagine what kind of havoc that thing could wreak on a group of infantrymen advancing in line?

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: xausa]
      #344347 - 16/08/20 07:43 AM

t'd be fun to shoot - but would be a cow to clean!
You certainly have to admire the work, it is beautifully done; thanks for sharing that one Lancaster.

lancaster
.470 member

Re: anyone here ever shoot's a volley gun? [Re: xausa]
      #344514 - 23/08/20 03:04 AM

Quote:

Those double barrelled cannon were sometimes fired with two balls connected with a chain. Can you imagine what kind of havoc that thing could wreak on a group of infantrymen advancing in line?

this were made to shoot into the mast and rigging

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23336

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com