Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lets talk Hunting Knives

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Lets talk Hunting Knives
      #342456 - 17/06/20 11:36 AM

Im pretty much committed to guided hunts for most of my hunts, (with one or two days of sitting in a blind usually avoided by Whitetails). I stress the guided part because Im rarely in need of a knife other than to cut open the bag of Gummy Bears that every hunter needs to sustain his long treks... Still I feel the need to carry one or more knives into the field.

When I was active military, I usually carried some kind of combat knife, of the type I carried while waiting for Russian Paratroopers to descend on my position, in case my M16 was disassembled or some other Hollywood inspired vision. Even in the Army my knives got smaller as I gained more rank and acquired sense (just like letting the younger kids carry bags full of grenades).

Now Im down to a Swiss Army knife or Multi Tool (for the tough Gummys) and a fixed blade of maybe 5 inches; with four inches being better (maybe even shorter). Gone are the sawback blades and double edge daggers. I mostly opt for a spear point. I never found a need for a sharpening stone in the field; but I cant quite get over the feeling that I want a magnesium tool, just in case... Ive tried a few too many production knives; with no regrets other than wanting something better. Lately Ive found a local smith who has been tempting me.

Now all that being said, when primitive hunting with a Brown Bess or Jaeger, its hard not to strap on a Hunting Sword, if for no other reason than to get in the mood.

So hunting sword aside, what seems right to you guys?

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Lets talk Hunting Knives [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #342474 - 17/06/20 11:45 PM

I have been rethinking of re-visiting my collection. As it has gotten a lot bigger!

The old photo.

I need to re-do this image with the ones missed out last night, plus the new additions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#342475 - 17/06/20 11:47 PM

Quote:

When I was active military, I usually carried some kind of combat knife, of the type I carried while waiting for Russian Paratroopers to descend on my position, in case my M16 was disassembled or some other Hollywood inspired vision. Even in the Army my knives got smaller as I gained more rank and acquired sense (just like letting the younger kids carry bags full of grenades).

This might have been what those Russian paratroopers might have had in their belts.

A Russian DV-2 knife designed for Spetnaz Russian Special forces.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#342476 - 17/06/20 11:55 PM

Quote:

Now all that being said, when primitive hunting with a Brown Bess or Jaeger, its hard not to strap on a Hunting Sword, if for no other reason than to get in the mood.

So hunting sword aside, what seems right to you guys?

I'll come to the latter a bit later.

But for that muzzle loader in the back woods of the Appalachians, maybe these?

The "rusty" one, over sized to the right is a Bowie. Maybe useful for wrestling a bear with.

To the right, Burmese or Thai hill tribe knife, in a Kukri style. Buffalo horn handle. Big leaf shaped blade. Good for decapitating a buffalo! The blade is lighter and more handy than the over weight Bowie. The "little" utility knife is used I guess for the table, eating one's meat! Or skinning the forest deer. Worn by the hill tribe warriors as part of their manly culture.

When I bought this set of knives, I received a subtle invitation from the seller, the lady said "You very beautiful man!" !!!! I was in I think. Pity she resembled a hill top troll or gnome! One can't have everything.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lets talk Hunting Knives [Re: NitroX]
      #342477 - 17/06/20 11:59 PM

Another decorative kukri with a ivory handle. Decorated with coins.

Tiny little blades with crappy bone handles in the sheath.

This is more just a decorative example for the wall.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#342478 - 18/06/20 12:06 AM

These are my usual choices for the hunting belt knife.

Puma Forsterknicker purchased in Germany in 1988, Hamburg or Frankfurt. Or similar.

Custom JR Peck. When I displayed this last, it was not for use. I now use it.

Steve Fillicietti (SF), damascus blade knife. Only a small amount of damascus blending.

A Brueletto "Trollkniven".

Typical Scandinavian design and made in Norway.

I like this one for small game. Easy to keep sharp with a carbon steel blade.

Not sexy for the belt, but these are my working tools. A German retired butcher friend "A knife for the belt, real knives for the work" or something like that.

Two Victorinox butchers knives and a F-dick steel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #342508 - 19/06/20 02:42 AM

Edelweiss, excellent idea to start such a post on working knives.

Nitrox, you may consider moving this post into “Bow hunting, spears & knives” so that others can contribute at a later stage as it will soon be lost in this section.

My working knives, from top to below:

• Buck – Purchased 1979 in Alexandria (Va); 17cm./7in. thick blade. Probably one of my oldest knives; went with me into desert, jungle, mountain, etc. and is parachute operations trained. Quite heavy hence used as a camp knife.

• Purdey – Purchased c. 10 years ago in London; 11 cm./4,5in. Damascus blade. I use it as a skinning/gutting knife, but not when mountain hunting as it is quite heavy due to thick blade and bone handle.

• SOG – Presented to me by my son c. 5 years ago; 9cm./3,5in. surgical steel blade. I use it as a skinning/gutting knife, when mountain hunting as it is much lighter than the Purdey one. Did not had that look initially and came to me with a technical knife look with lots of plastic material; was re-styled at a later stage by Kari (Promokari in Finland, a Forum member) and given a more Scandinavian and classical look.

• Laguiole – Folding knives from the Laguiole town in South-Central France with blades from 09 to 11cm./3,5 to 4,5in.; I always carry one of them, but when travelling by air, even when in a business suit.

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lets talk Hunting Knives [Re: Louis]
      #342523 - 19/06/20 12:37 PM

Very nice Louis. And show lots of use as well.

I like that the "Buck is parachute trained". Hopefully you will share those stories with us one day.

I like the folding knives.

"Laguiole – Folding knives" - I have one of those at least in the same style.

I carry a folding knife as well, virtually all the time. Now it is illegal here, stupid law, but is legal if you have a reason. As I am on a farm I do have legitimate reasons and can justify them. Usually I have a boring Leatherman Wave on my belt or in a pocket. One of my just BROKE!!!! The hinge fell apart! What has happened to workmanship. Hopefully it can be repaired.

Or I can the Laguiole styled folder. Or a more usual large folder or two.

Cutting hay bale twine, skinning and gutting rabbits, opening the mail, cutting rope, using the pliers, even some "snipping" of grape samples or rods using the knife, many legitimate purposes. As if a lawful legitimate man should need a reason ...

My Laguiole styled knife. Being abused and used inappropriately! But slicing cake while having coffee is a legitimate use to carry one in my opinion.

Louis you will like this one. Every winemaker has carried an Opinel at some point. An old and simple locking folder design which works.

A couple of my older Swiss Army folders.

One a lock back. The lockback used to be part of my photography tool kit, the screwdriver used for tripods etc. I carried this one in Europe, Africa and Australia. Had it confiscated on a British Airlines flight once as the blade was too long for their rules. Taken to the cockpit, and given to me as I left the plane. Yes, used to carry it in my pocket on flights. Those were the days ... and not long ago.

The other is a small one used as a key tag, At one time I had a little maglight attached to it. Very useful at times.

My first Leatherman and their first model. Still have this one. On my third Wave now. Lost the first in the vineyard somewhere when cutting irrigation hoses for repairs. Another use, Mr Plod! Then bought another, misplaced that one for six months, so bought another .... found the second one, and had two. Now the third one has broken a hinge !!!

I use the above as a cigar holder, very "stylish", when it burns down too low.

SOG Tomcat. The original design and better than the latter ones.

The other folder is missing from the original thread. Found out why it was hard to find. I had moved it to an offline forum for a while. No wonder, no one was commenting on it!

Anyway, this is a new good thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #342529 - 19/06/20 01:10 PM

Louis, you remember little wrong my company name. It´s Promaakari, finnish version from phrase Pro maker. "Promokari" is a little confusing version because "moka" means in finnish same as mistake in english...

"SOG – Presented to me by my son c. 5 years ago; 9cm./3,5in. surgical steel blade. I use it as a skinning/gutting knife, when mountain hunting as it is much lighter than the Purdey one. Did not had that look initially and came to me with a technical knife look with lots of plastic material; was re-styled at a later stage by Kari (Promokari in Finland, a Forum member) and given a more Scandinavian and classical look."

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Lets talk Hunting Knives [Re: Igorrock]
      #342531 - 19/06/20 03:48 PM

Kari, really sorry for misspelling your company's name; I promise this won't happen again!

Nitrox, thank you for your additional comments and photos; I have also owned many Opinel knives, as any country folk does in France.

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #342533 - 19/06/20 07:28 PM

Quote:

SOG Tomcat. The original design and better than the latter ones.

Wish I'd bought one of those at the time. I almost started collecting knives but only got as far as 3 Gerber daggers. I'd been looking at the Tomcat but never got one.

Edited by mauserand9mm (20/06/20 11:25 AM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Lets talk Hunting Knives [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #342561 - 20/06/20 07:29 PM

I regularly use an Opinel Mushroom knife when we go mushroom hunting. They are fantastic and all our family member have one each.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6346

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com